OPETH SURVIVOR 2014: Results -> Bleak wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Looks like the first two albums are not that disliked at all. Most songs have a maximum of only 2 votes each. In fact, I think I see a huge increase of popularity of these records compared to a while back.

The one that is under threat: Nectar ==> fantastic harmony starting @ 2.13
Stunning acoustic section starting @ 6.19, getting better @ 6.51. :notworthy:
Great to focus on the bass patterns as well, throughout the whole song.

The first albums have the disadvantage of coming before amazing albums that are really groundbreaking. For almost any other band, Orchid and Morningrise would be masterpieces, but they fall short for Opeth standards. I don't think anybody dislikes them (except Mikael maybe), Opeth just surpassed themselves time and time again afterwards.

Just inferior? The qualifications these albums have had (or the lack of shown appreciation) feel more condemning than just that.

The first two albums can also be seen as groundbreaking because nobody made such a cocktail of enthralling music before.

Last edited:
Just inferior? The qualifications these albums have had (or the lack of shown appreciation) on Maidenfans feel more condemning than just that.

It's just you. I enjoy the songs I haven't voted for a lot. But the stuff that voted for and stuff that have been eliminated? Not so much.

Just inferior? The qualifications these albums have had (or the lack of shown appreciation) feel more condemning than just that.

The first two albums can also be seen as groundbreaking because nobody made such a cocktail of enthralling music before.
You're contradicting yourself. On another thread you just said these albums aren't as unpopular as I claimed. It has to be one or the other.

I love the style on Opeth's first two albums, and I miss it. I wish Mikael would redo the vocals on them, because his growls during the Blackwater Park era were legendary.

I wish they would've re-recorded the whole albums during that era. They'd improve a lot with better production.

You're contradicting yourself. On another thread you just said these albums aren't as unpopular as I claimed. It has to be one or the other.
Wait a minute, before you're going to throw everything I said in the same corner: the contexts of these posts are not the same.

There's worldwide appreciation (by Opeth fans outside this forum included), where these albums are not as disregarded as much as the way you've said in the other topic (I gave examples of that in that same other topic).

And then there's this forum only where I have noticed an increase on popularity (I said this in this topic). People have talked negative about these albums, or ignored them, or just hardly showed appreciation. But in the past that was worse. And I thought I saw a change in the voting pattern. It might have to do with people getting slowly used to grunts. But perhaps that conclusion was too premature. Let's see how the old stuff will do and then we'll see if it is indeed more appreciated or not.

So one statement was about here only, the other not.

By the way, this survivor forces me to listen more often to Opeth, and believe it or not, I got more appreciation for My Arms, Your Hearse. Besides nice moments, I do see negative points, compared with the previous works, but.... compared to the next album, it isn't that bad. I think I'll even buy it.

edit:
With groundbreaking I meant that the music itself was groundbreaking (new), not that it was popular.

Last edited:
People have talked negative about these albums, or ignored them, or just hardly showed appreciation.

Consensus of this forum is that the first two albums are really good, but not as good as the other stuff by Opeth. You're seeing things that are not there.

I honestly don't know what you guys are arguing about. Other people/general public liking/hating an album won't change my opinion on it. (Iced Earth can be the example in my case :p)

No big deal. I guess I have explained it well enough now and better stop this before it gets as monotone as ..... . *runs in opposite direction of the Balkan* :p

Last edited:
Back