OPETH SURVIVOR 2014: Results -> Bleak wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
They really did some cool stuff with Arabian/eastern motives. Lots of Rainbow influence on this album as well (sound/instrument wise).

Yea I love that one. Also a big fan of Goblin and River, some of the best tracks on the album.

Agreed on River. Honestly, the only song on this album that I don't think is really good to great is Elysian Woes. The rest are all top notch, so it's like picking your favorite children.

The opening track has what is probably my favorite drum performance on an Opeth song to date.

Moon Above, Sun Below is the best song on the album IMO. Followed by Eternal Rains and Cusp. I like all the other songs, but they are a lot weaker than these 3.

Moon Above Sun Below has some of the best ideas on the album but it's a bit too all over the place. Mikael talked about having written a song in the same songwriting style he used on Orchid and Morningrise, pretty sure it's that one.

Moon Above Sun Below has some of the best ideas on the album but it's a bit too all over the place. Mikael talked about having written a song in the same songwriting style he used on Orchid and Morningrise, pretty sure it's that one.
You know what! This is exactly what I thought, although I don't think it has some of the best ideas on the album. It is indeed too much all over the place, but also the start is rather monotone. Dumb vocals also during "With the moon above and the sun below". The calm piece afterwards is quite boring. In other words, for me it takes long before something cool happens.
Also yuck vocals here (I can't stand such harmonies):
Voices of despair is a familiar friendship
A society in your head holds the code to destruction

For the rest it has parts that don't sound better than comparable pieces on other tracks in the catalogue.

Therefore one of the least songs on the album. Quite a meh fest to be honest.

Perhaps Mikael had the same approach as with the early albums but on these old albums I find the melodies much better. When melodies are moving, the other factors are less important to me.

Last edited:
Eternal Rains Will Come is likely a Top 10 song for me.

Yeah, it has quickly shot into the top of my Opeth favorites.

Moon Above, Sun Below is the best song on the album IMO. Followed by Eternal Rains and Cusp. I like all the other songs, but they are a lot weaker than these 3.

I think the first three songs are incredibly strong, but River is in my top 3 and Faith in Others is amazing.

I had never heard this before, but it makes perfect sense. I know it's totally un-Opethian of me, but it really bugs me that the "With the moon above, and the sun below" refrain never repeats in the song. It's ludicrously catchy.

I think the song really gets going from 6:30 and onwards. The ending is one of my favorite moments on the album, the part where Mikael goes "Only circles on the water".

Yea love that ending. It does take awhile to get going though. I get the impression that he stacked the parts on top of each other but never went back to make solid transitions or refine certain parts. It's very raw. It's still a cool track though.

Very reminiscent of early Opeth.

By the way, I Feel the Dark has to go. Easily the worst song on this list.

SURVIVOR_RULES_013.jpg

Eliminated:
Elysian Woes - 7 votes
Goblin - 5 votes
Voice Of Treason - 5 votes

Back