OFFICIAL tour thread. SPOILERS inside!

Eddies Wingman said:
My point was that why should he mind changing the t-shirt just because he was in Norway? Nobody would be giving him stick for it anyway. I think you overestimate how big a deal this whale thing is here.

Do you really think the t-shirt provoked anyone in the crowd? I doubt it ...

Since it's (imho unfortunately) no big deal: probably no. But that wasn't my point either. I don't think 'Arry wore it too anger Norwegians on purpose. He just liked the joke (and I guess he wouldn't be against the content either), and decided to wear this on the whole tour.

My point is that I just like the fact that he did not switch it. This means that he would not give a rats ass for any Norwegian (or anyone else) who would be angry. That's a difference with not waving the flag anymore in Argentina.

Germany deals very well with WWII. Whaling is still happening. Just a few countries, but it hasn't finished yet.

I guess we can both agree that it takes more than a great metal band with a charismatic bass player to anger a Norwegian.  :)

I find it possible that a possible connection didn't even occur to 'Arry.

Forostar said:
I guess we can both agree that it takes more than a great metal band with a charismatic bass player to anger a Norwegian.  :)

In fact, a great metal band with a charismatic bass player will typically please Norwegians rather than anger us  :D Unless they say "Thank you Sweden" after a show, of course.

Eddies Wingman said:
  :D Unless they say "Thank you Sweden" after a show, of course.

Same goes for the country on the other side of Sweden. That would most likely have started a riot. :D

Perun said:
I find it possible that a possible connection didn't even occur to 'Arry.

I would probably agree.

I can't deny that you're right Per, but I estimate 'Arry higher than that. Norway is globally pretty much associated with the good (fjords) and the bad (whaling) sides of (dealing with) nature. Wearing a shirt with a huge word WHALE on top, in the particular country. That's striking. But maybe I have totally different ideas about the issue than you guys, and I can understand that you rather think it's a joke only.

Eddies Wingman said:
In fact, a great metal band with a charismatic bass player will typically please Norwegians rather than anger us  :D Unless they say "Thank you Sweden" after a show, of course.

LOL.

Forostar said:
I can't deny that you're right Per, but I estimate 'Arry higher than that. Norway is globally pretty much associated with the good (fjords) and the bad (whaling) sides of (dealing with) nature. Wearing a shirt with a huge word WHALE on top, in the particular country. That's striking. But maybe I have totally different ideas about the issue than you guys, and I can understand that you rather think it's a joke only.

Well, had he worn that shirt in Norway only, it would sound more credible that it was intended to give a message. But wearing it in the US, Germany, UK, Ireland, Finland, Sweden - and THEN in Norway? Nah, I think he liked the wordplay.

Of course, he (and others) might have thought that it was particularly fitting in Norway, but I really don't think he really made a decision as to whether to wear it here or not. It was his t-shirt for this tour, and that was it.

Did I use "possible" twice in that sentence? Oh my.

Err, what I meant to say, I really don't think you should read into it. It's just a cockney word play that Steve liked. Imagine I had a Chicago Bulls t-shirt that I like very much and wear it all the time, and I just happen to take it with me on my holiday to Spain- it wouldn't even occur to me that it might be interpreted as a statement against (or for!) bull fighting.

Check out the Transylvania event shirt!:
transylvania.jpg

I wonder who does the drawings for event shirts.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Check out the Transylvania event shirt!:
transylvania.jpg

I wonder who does the drawings for event shirts.

Many are done by a guy named Hervé Monjeaud. He put them up on his website. I think they're quite nicely done except for the occasional fail (but then, even Riggsy had them).

1. What a cool T-shirt for Transylvania. Is it a silver pole Eddie is driving into Dracula's chest?

2. It seems like Foro has been deleting his posts again ...

Eddies Wingman said:
2. It seems like Foro has been deleting his posts again ...

I regretted that I spoke my mind too openly about the issue, in this topic, and decided to delete it, several hours after I posted it. I thought it wasn't one of the nicest posts, and it could have continued the discussion for ages. In case you wanted to answer it now (which I hadn't expected anymore), sorry for that.

Forostar said:
I regretted that I spoke my mind too openly about the issue, in this topic, and decided to delete it, several hours after I posted it. I thought it wasn't one of the nicest posts, and it could have continued the discussion for ages. In case you wanted to answer it now (which I hadn't expected anymore), sorry for that.

Nah, I don't think we should drag on with this discussion. It would be pointless going on about small nuances in how we interpret a fuckin' t-shirt  :D I'll just say that I think you read too much into it - and also that you read too much into my replies. I will just quote one thing you said:

Forostar said:
My point is that I just like the fact that he did not switch it. This means that he would not give a rats ass for any Norwegian (or anyone else) who would be angry. That's a difference with not waving the flag anymore in Argentina.

I think that's because 'Arry simply did not think of the text on the t-shirt as an anti-whaling statement. At least not a strong one. Any statement made through wearing that t-shirt is so subtle only a few would get it anyway. I don't know what 'Arry thinks of whaling anyway, but I guess if asked he would say he was against it - after all, that is the common opinion in the UK as well. But in the context of the other potential messages you mentioned, with our consumption of oil and beef depleting the world's resources - don't you think that whaling seems a bit out of context there? The other two are more or less global issues. Whaling occurs in few countries. And compared to waving a Union Jack in Argentina - a country they were at WAR with less than 30 years ago - the provocative strength of any possible message taken from that t-shirt is equal to zero.

Thus - I don't believe 'Arry kept the t-shirt "despite the possibility of angering Norwegians". Well, I think he wouldn't care anyway - I respect him that much - but I just don't think it was an issue at all.

I don't think I can find any more to say in order to make my opinion clearer, so I'll leave it there. It's not a big deal.

On the bright side, the spoiler-free period is over! Who-hooo! :yey:

_MG_4155.jpeg

Final Frontier Tour setlist

01.The Wicker Man
02.Ghost Of The Navigator
03.Wrathchild
04.El Dorado
05.Dance Of Death
06.The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
07.These Colours Don't Run
08.Blood Brothers
09.Wildest Dreams
10.No More Lies
11.Brave New World
12.Fear Of The Dark
13.Iron Maiden
Encore:
14.The Number of the Beast
15.Hallowed Be Thy Name
16.Running Free

:p

(Mods, please don't consider this as provocation, it isn't meant to be.)

Seriously, I'm glad that we helped a few of the forum members actually get to the shows without knowing the setlist, I plan to undertake the same thing next year, it would be nice to be surprised at the show! Also, after the first few days, it actually wasn't that big of a deal to put everything in spoiler tags.

And what a beautiful setlist it was. I can't help but admire it. :)

Yes, it was a good playlist  ::).

What do you think they will play in next tour?

Final Frontier Album
Iron Maiden
---------
Number of the beast
Hallowed be thy name
Running free

I think it's already been said that they won't repeat the AMOLAD thing, i.e. they won't play the entire album.

Yes, that was in one of the recent interviews, by Nicko I think. 

It seems that the spoiler rules were followed a lot better than on the previous tour.  Shame, since that means my self-imposed exile was all for nothing.  But the setlist was so damn good that I am extremely happy that I didn't know it.  The feeling of anticipation before each song is wonderful, and I was overjoyed when I was expecting Run to the Hills and got Running Free instead.

i think they should do 8 songs instead of the regular 6 so they only have to drop 2 songs. If they drop 4 there is a huge chance they will mostly be long songs. :(

Back