Official Star Wars Thread

True. I don't know if I remember correctly (I read the book when the film came out...) but I liked how the novel explained Anakin's frustration when he was denied the title of Jedi Master. Apparently the rank would give him access to more Jedi archives/holocrons (?) which he hoped to use in order to stop Padme from dying. This idea alone does not justify Anakin's turning against Jedi yet, but it certainly adds to the buildup. I'm sorry if I mixed something up, but that's how I remember it.

The book of ROTS elaborates more and shows Palpatine's seduction of Anakin more drawn out.
More of that in the movie would have been cool, and I think some of it should have been in AOTC as well. The scene at the opera thing in ROTS was really cool, more along those lines would have been nice

True. I don't know if I remember correctly (I read the book when the film came out...) but I liked how the novel explained Anakin's frustration when he was denied the title of Jedi Master. Apparently the rank would give him access to more Jedi archives/holocrons (?) which he hoped to use in order to stop Padme from dying. This idea alone does not justify Anakin's turning against Jedi yet, but it certainly adds to the buildup. I'm sorry if I mixed something up, but that's how I remember it.

They had that in the film, but I will go to acting again. He portrayed it like a kid not getting a PS4 at Christmas than something important. Having more dialogue explaining why it was important certainly would have helped too .. no doubt. I can probably nit pick this to death, but again overall I like the movies ... but they are frustrating because you could see they were not really that far away from being very very good.

They had that in the film, but I will go to acting again. He portrayed it like a kid not getting a PS4 at Christmas than something important. Having more dialogue explaining why it was important certainly would have helped too .. no doubt. I can probably nit pick this to death, but again overall I like the movies ... but they are frustrating because you could see they were not really that far away from being very very good.
Yes, that's what I meant. It's there but with no background. Sure, his behaviour comes across exactly as you described it - it seems as if he was angry just because they treat him as an inferior one. The true problem, though, is that it's not explained why would he care about the rank in the first place and the novel does it.

OMFG, an incredibly MAJOR spoiler was dropped by a cast member at the SWCE Rogue One panel... I just can't believe that happened! Of course I'm not talking about some kind of 'press release' reveal, but a legit accidental spoiler. Fuck...

In other news, they released a behind the scenes featurette instead of a trailer, which is a disappointment. Well, the trailer was shown, but only to people there, in London. It's possible it will be released to everyone at Comic-Con, but who knows. I'm super-bummed, because I didn't want to see BTS stuff at this point. I guess many things you can see there will appear in the upcoming trailer, so the surprise is smaller now.

I have never seen the extra materials, and this is from TV Tropes, but if it's true, that would mean Lucas had a lot to do with that as well...

An interesting parallel to the above involves Anakin's saying in Episode Three, "Something's happening... I'm not the Jedi I should be...! I want MORE!" The reason it's so interesting is that in the Behind-The-Scenes features on the DVD, we see Lucas directing that scene, and Hayden actually starting off by actually giving that line a good, honest-to-goodness natural performance. Cue George calling "Cut!" and then directing Hayden to give the line "more feeling". And so, Hayden hams it up.

There are also other things...

But in general, I'm probably in the minority by not only genuinely liking the prequels, but actually also liking TPM the most and ROTS the least. That might have something to do with the fact I was 7 when I saw Menace in cinema and 10 when I was AOTC, but I still think the reputation is quite unfair. A lot of the flaws were already in the original trilogy (kid-appeal, hammy acting from time to time) and the action scenes were actually pretty cool. The Maul fight is still probably my favourite lightsaber fight, I'm very glad we got more of Tatooine (three guesses why) and the intro on Coruscant and Obi Wan's "detective" storyline in Clones is still good in pretty much every way, hands down - it's somewhere around Geonosis when the movie starts to fuck things up a bit (chipmunk Yoda, for exaple), but also the Anakin-Padmé storyline, which is ... weird for many reasons.

1. Padmé dissuading Anakin yet also trying to look like a dominatrix
2. The cheesy dialogue
3. The hammy acting
4. The fact Padmé hops into a bed with him pretty much seconds after he confessed to his genocide of the natives
5. The fact it comes pretty much out of nowhere
6. The fact pretty much the only foreshadowing was when in TPE the uncomfortably underage Jake Lloyd was ogling the obviously much older Padmé

I have never been too hot about Revenge, because is failed to live up to its expectations, the conclusion was pretty much obvious etc. But I still enjoyed it.

When I was a kid and ROTS had just come out, I thought it was the best of the prequels, but in retrospect, TPM is the superior film. ROTS has the worst character development and the worst filler (45 minutes of lightsabre CG). And General Grievous.

Pretty much where I'm at. I still don't think it's worse than the other two, but it has aged poorly and I like it less every time I watch it.

A friend has been at the Star Wars Celebration in London this weekend. She says she's got lots of of Rogue One spoilers.

Just finished reading the new novel SW Bloodline. Takes place few years before TFA. Luke is still training Ben, Leia is still a senator, & she & Han are still speaking. The plot reminds me of Ep II when the formation of the Empire was being investigated. This novel deals with Leia's investigation of the forming of the First Order. However, when a MAJOR dark secret from her past is made public (which we are already aware of but galaxy is not) everything begins to change.

Last edited:
Just finished reading book 2 in an ongoing trilogy called SW Aftermath. Takes place about a year or two after EP 6. MUCH better than book 1. The 2nd half of the book has far more of the better known characters from the Original Trilogy.

I wish they released these books sooner in my country... I guess we'll get Bloodline in like spring 2017 at best.

In the teaser trailer (months ago), we saw a glimpse of the Emperor's Guard (the guys in red always holding tall staffs). Perhaps we also will get a cameo from the Emperor himself?

Back