Official Star Wars Thread

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
Not sure what to make of this, but in general I am glad there are more coming.

In an interview with The Times in 2008, George Lucas said that his personal connection to the “Star Wars” saga ended with the Ewoks on Endor.
“There really isn’t any story to tell there,” the filmmaker said at the time of prospects for his participation in the movie life of the franchise beyond the tale-concluding events in “Return of the Jedi.”
“I get asked all the time, ‘What happens after “Return of the Jedi”?,’ and there really is no answer for that,” Lucas continued. “The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that’s where that story ends.”
The Walt Disney Co. announced today that it’s agreed to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, and word quickly followed that there are plans in place for not one but three new “Star Wars” movies, the first of which will arrive in theaters in 2015. Lucas, however, will only serve as a “creative consultant” and will not write or direct.
“It’s true, I’m not going to do any more,” Lucas said today in a video released with the Disney Co. announcement of the deal, which will give Disney ownership of the “Star Wars” franchise and Lucas’ special effects, sound and animation companies.
In the video, Lucas said that he has story treatments for Episodes Seven, Eight and Nine in the space opera and that he was going to hand that “treasure trove” of intellectual property over to Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy, who will serve as executive producer on the upcoming seventh live-action movie in the blockbuster franchise.
“We are absolutely going to make ‘Star Wars’ movies,” Kennedy said, using the plural, in the video.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ And...

_T7I0013_resized_0.jpg

The face of George Lucas is priceless... And about the quality well... Let's remember what they did to Marvel

Interesting acquisition. Four billion seems like an awful lot, and the movies themselves will be outrageously expensive to produce. But, it's a remarkably durable franchise, even despite the fact that two of the three "prequels" were awful: if you'd told me in 1984 that my kid would have Star Wars bedsheets, I'd have thought you were nuts. Looking forward to some new Star Wars-themed rides at Disneyland, though probably all we'll get in the near term is just a slightly modified Space Mountain.

Thhey recently redid Star Tours (have not been on it since the change, but the reviews seem good). Disney probably got a pretty good deal out of this. I read Star Wars sells over $1B a year in swag and I am sure that will go up with more movies coming.

I think Star Wars is one of those properties that is a license to print money. Disney will do fine.
It wouldn't surprise me if they do a better job of handling the franchise than Lucas has. (Space Mountain is intriguing)

I discussed this over lunch with a mate of mine (yes, it was a very nerdy lunch break), and we came to the conclusion that there's really two possible outcomes. Either Disney is going to continue with all the family-friendly stuff and we'll see a lot more ewoks, wookies, gay droids and Jar-Jars. however, the fact that Lucas is passing creative control on could also mean that it falls into the hands of people who grew up with Star Wars themselves and remember what made the movies so great, hence creating at least some potential for a return to greatness.

I discussed this over lunch with a mate of mine (yes, it was a very nerdy lunch break), and we came to the conclusion that there's really two possible outcomes. Either Disney is going to continue with all the family-friendly stuff and we'll see a lot more ewoks, wookies, gay droids and Jar-Jars. however, the fact that Lucas is passing creative control on could also mean that it falls into the hands of people who grew up with Star Wars themselves and remember what made the movies so great, hence creating at least some potential for a return to greatness.

This sums up my thoughts as well. They said Lucas gave a treatment for Episodes 7-9, which I assume will be the general story. I will be curious to see where this picks up after Jedi. I would assume general themes would have to be around reforming some form of the Republic and that there would need to be some threat to that ... I would assume more Sith or what's left of the Empire ... My hope is that the jump a bit in the future and find a way to do it that is not basically retelling the previous trilogies with new characters.

I don't know, it is Star Wars, so there is always potential for it to be really cool. I think the overall story arch for the prequels was good, they just really failed to execute in parts (though there were parts I really liked). Call me an optimist, but I have hopes with Lucas doing the outline and some (ideally) better writers to pull it off, there is a potential for 3 good movies here.

I would bet they will go with a bit of a lesser known director and probably try to find one to commit to all 3 movies ... which might be better, one of the worst things that could happen would be some kind of re-invention. My guess is they want one who can do a good job, but is willing to still make it a Star Wars movie that will fit with the other 6.

I really REALLY hope that it's the latter...

Worst case scenario: we get more shitty Star Wars movies. I can't say I care very much one way or the other, the whole concept of Star Wars feels pretty stale to me. Still, if they find some talented people and allow them creative control, the end result could be something watchable.

There's no reason why Disney ownership should necessarily mean a more family-friendly direction - they used to own Miramax, after all. What does point towards more ewok-like stuff is that the toys and merchandise is probably more profitable than the actual movies at this point.

Another thought: any chance that they will release an unedited original trilogy? There's certainly money to be made there.

Another thought: any chance that they will release an unedited original trilogy? There's certainly money to be made there.

That's what we're all hoping for, is it not?

Actually, I know they did that for dvd some time ago but not for blu-ray yet. I know my husband was going to get the original trilogy on blu-ray when it came out but he found out they made all those ridiculous changes and decided against it. I hope they do end up releasing an unedited version someday.

I honestly think best case scenario here is the production of some Star Wars films that George Lucas has as little to do with as possible, I'm an enormous fan of the originals but I personally think the prequels are not only awful but ruin a lot of the established mythology of the original trilogy (midichlorians in particular).

Mmmm well that link gives us interesting news... The confirmation of the tv series, Luke returning as a main character, 2 MORE TRILOGIES, not one, possible directors (I always thought of Steven Spielberg, but I think that they should approach Peter Jackson at least for one film). Just hope this is legit.

Back