Official Football Thread

Drama in Norwegian football tonight.

One of the regular top division clubs in Norway, SK Brann, who were league champions as recent as 2007, have been relegated after losing a two-legged playoff against Mjøndalen IF, who haven't been in the top flight since 1992 and were on tier four as recently as 2006. The first leg, at Brann's home ground, ended 1-1. Tonight Mjøndalen won 3-0. When they scored their third goal, some Brann fans threw flares on the pitch. An older fan, who obviously didn't find this acceptable, attacked the young sods who had thrown the flare.

Personally I am torn between schadenfreude and sympathy. Schadenfreude, because Brann fans see themselves as one of the natural top teams despite their 2007 title being a rare exception - they are usually a mid-table team and have only won the league three times in their history. They seem to think Norwegian football revolves around them. Even in the build-up to this game, talking about how much the Norwegian premier league would lose out if they went down. Sympathy, because I know just how they feel. And the fans are passionate about their club. Bergen is one of the few cities in Norway where everyone has an opinion about the football team.

But the whole season, the "we're too good to be relegated" attitude has been there, so they ultimately had it coming.

I think I've ever hated a footballer more than I hated the current captain of the team I support. As we were down against Anderlecht at 83rd minute, on the brink of being eliminated from Europe, captain Selçuk İnan, after a horrible display, lost the ball due to his selfishness, miserably dived in an effort to pass it off as a foul, then complained to the ref, received 2 yellow cards and got sent off. I'm quite certain that he received the card on purpose, so that he won't have to play against Arsenal at home, because he knows he'll get booed the entire game. Fuck off already.

So yeah, Galatasaray are out of European competitions.

Sergio Ageuro is still really overrated. Good player, but he is not worth 12m in Fantasy. Not at all.

He's the leading scorer in EPL, scored 17 times in 18 games and is leading City by himself this season. I'd say he's underrated when it comes to the ranking of strikers. Contributes to the play much more than some other world class strikers do as well.

We're walking about world class, aren't we? Valencia is a good striker but that's it. He's about on the same level as Jackson Martinez, which is pretty good.

I'd say he's very close to reaching world class. He's been contributing a lot in terms of goals and assists to West Ham; yet West Ham would rather run Carlton Cole a lot of the time.

I'd say he's very close to reaching world class.

Really? Depends on what you see as "world class" though. I think the current world class strikers are (in no order) Sergio Agüero, Luis Suarez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Robert Lewandowski, Edinson Cavani, Radamel Falcao, Robin van Persie and Diego Costa.

Vermaelen won't play in this season at all. Dodget a bullet there, Flash :D Barca sold Sanchez to Arsenal and got an injured soon-to-be-30 year old injury prone center back in return. Genius business.

B3xyurfCIAAn3iX.png

Galatasaray currently lead the Turkish League with a negative goal difference.

The only other Turkish side I've heard of save for Galatasaray and Fenerbache is Besiktas. Goes to show you how much I know :/.

Well those three are biggest clubs in the country so I don't blame you. Though Trabzonspor have been a familiar face in Europe for the last couple of years.

Can't believe I (or someone else) haven't mentioned the fact that Borussia Dortmund are currently the last placed team in Bundesliga. They have more points in Champions League than they have in Bundesliga, despite playing 8 matches less.

West Ham United is doing excellent. 5th position and with a bit of luck they could climb a spot this weekend.

Back