Official Football Thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 963546.stm

QPR's Ray Jones dies in car crash

QPR striker Ray Jones, who has died in a car crash
QPR's teenage striker Ray Jones has died in a car accident.

The club has postponed Saturday's match away to Burnley after the young forward was killed.

A statement said: "QPR is in mourning following the tragic news that striker Ray Jones died in a motor accident in the early hours of Saturday morning."

The 18-year-old England youth international was involved in an accident in East Ham and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The club said the collision occurred at about 0020 BST on Saturday in the High Street at South East Ham.

The statement added: "Everyone at Queens Park Rangers extends their deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Ray at this sad time.

"The club will be making no further comment at this stage and we ask you respect our wishes as we grieve for our young striker."

Jones, who last season earned a call-up to the England Under-19 squad, was set to miss the match with a foot injury.

He joined the club at the age of 15 and made his professional debut against Watford in April 2006.

The striker went on to make 35 appearances in all competitions last term - scoring six goals.

QPR rejected a £200,000 bid from Colchester for Jones at the end of last season.

He had yet to feature this season but was highly-rated by the club and had also attracted interest from Premier League clubs.

Jones would have been 19 on Tuesday.

Last year QPR were struck by tragedy when youth team player Kiyan Prince was stabbed to death outside his school at the age of 15. 

This guy was a great talent, tipped for the very top. Such a shame.

That is sad news, NA. It is always a shame when such a young life is taken in such tragic circumstances. Sad.

It's going to be an emotional day at Loftus Road tomorrow, I really hope the Rangers boys put in a good performance in memory of Ray Jones. If anyone's interested in what sort of player he was, here's a link to a video of his goals for us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdqpXDHCAk&mode=related&search=
He really was a great player, the most talented we had at the club, and he probably had the potential to be better than Les Ferdinand or Peter Crouch. I remember the first time I saw him play, at the start of last season against Southend, thinking 'who the hell's this?' and couldn't believe he was only 17.
national acrobat said:
Time to breathe new life into this thread.

I went to see my first game of the season yesterday and it was a really good game, with QPR beating Southend 2-0 (sorry Albie!!). So with all those clever pundits predicting relegation for the Super Hoops at the start of the season, it now looks like we have a really decent side and might even reach mid-table obscurity. :innocent:
I was most impressed by our 17 year-old striker, Ray Jones - 6foot4 and built to match, he also had a really good touch and was willing to take players on.

Albie, what a week for Southend though, things must be looking a lot brighter than after the first two defeats.

national acrobat said:
Maybe Munich are a tip to go quite far in the Champions League this season - they've been very disappointing in Europe for the last few years, after being so good in the late 90's.
This prediction was a little wide of the mark - Bayern Munich didn't qualify this year. :stupid:

national acrobat said:
Albie, what a week for Southend though, things must be looking a lot brighter than after the first two defeats.
Shame only one of them was in the league. But I'm hoping - and there was some pre-season prediction that they would bounce right back again (or at least get in the play-offs). And they are still 9 points ahead of Leeds.

As for that Ray Jones tribute - quite moving. The goal against Southampton was pretty good, one of the main reasons why the back pass rule was introduced - so goals like that could be scored. And a tight angle as well. Me, I would have hit the side netting. :D

Friday, 31 August. European champions A.C. Milan win the 2007 U.E.F.A. Super Cup for the 5th time after beating U.E.F.A. Cup holders Sevilla 3-1 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Renato scored for Sevilla in the 13th minute while Filippo Inzaghi scored for Milan (54), then followed by Marek Jankulovski (61) and Kaká (86). The match, however, starts with a tribute to Sevilla's Antonio Puerta, who died 3 days earlier.

Attachments

• A.C. Milan - 2007 U.E.F.A. Super Cup Winners.jpg
    A.C. Milan - 2007 U.E.F.A. Super Cup Winners.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 11
Albie said:
What matters is the Israel game. :D

That one is today! Here the overview of all today's qualification matches for the European Championships next year. Match kick-offs are listed in local time. The matches I'm most interested in are marked in red. I especially follow the groups of the Netherlands, Poland & Russia (all have Dutch coaches & my family in law is Polish ;) ),

08/09 Grp A Azerbaijan (c)  Armenia
08/09 Grp B Scotland 15:00 Lithuania
08/09 Grp C Hungary 16:00 Bosnia-Herzegovina
08/09 Grp E England 17:00 Israel
08/09 Grp G Luxembourg 17:00 Slovenia
08/09 Grp G Belarus 19:00 Romania
08/09 Grp E Russia 19:00 F.Y.R. Macedonia
08/09 Grp B Georgia 19:00 Ukraine
08/09 Grp F Latvia 19:15 Northern Ireland 
08/09 Grp D Wales 19:30 Germany 
08/09 Grp C Malta 19:30 Turkey 
08/09 Grp F Iceland 20:00 Spain   
08/09 Grp A Serbia 20:15 Finland
08/09 Grp D San Marino 20:15 Czech Republic 
08/09 Grp E Croatia 20:30 Estonia
08/09 Grp F Sweden 20:30 Denmark
08/09 Grp D Slovakia 20:30 Republic of Ireland 
08/09 Grp G Netherlands 20:30 Bulgaria
08/09 Grp B Italy 20:50 France
08/09 Grp A Portugal 21:00 Poland
08/09 Grp C Moldova 21:00 Norway

I watched the England game yesterday and was very pleasantly suprised by their exciting performance. Barry had a very good game in central midfield, and Owen scored a fantastic goal, even if he was otherwise pretty rubbish. My serious doubts over Ashley Cole's continued inclusion were raised further: he lost every aerial challenge with Youssi Benyoun, who's tiny and by no means an accomplished header of the ball at all; Cole just isn't good enough at defending. Micah Richards on the other hand looks a perfect full-back (or centre-back): strong, fast, good at tackling and heading, all he lacks is positional awareness which will come with experience. Ashley Cole's credentials as a full-back seem to rest entirely on his abilty to "overlap", which isn't much good when you can't cross acurately. Russia on Wednesday will no doubt be a harder test. I still don't think McClaren is the right man for the job; I hope he has the balls to drop Lampard when he's fit - England need Gerrard in the middle, and Hargreaves and now Barry too are much better partners in central midfield than Fat Frank.

I only saw the last ten minutes of the game - whilst trying to catch the rugby as well. But the score line was pleasing (in both, actually - and the cricket as well....) as well as the performance by all accounts (not so much in the rugby), I just hope McClaren's team can take this form into Wednesday. Second place and two points ahead of Russia is a far better position to be in when we play them in the return fixture.

You know what? Starting today is the FIFA World Championship of Women's Soccer, held in China this year. Guess who plays tomorrow...Sweden! :D

Natalie said:
You know what? Starting today is the FIFA World Championship of Women's Soccer, held in China this year. Guess who plays tomorrow...Sweden! :D
As do England - and the Beeb are pushing this tournament quite heavily in the UK. But Germany beating Argentina 11-0 is a bit of a sham - almost as bad as Australia beating Japan in the Rugby World Cup 91 - 3.

Sweden vs. Nigeria ended in 1-1, which despite me being Swedish I think was a merited score. The Nigerians really have alot of potential, they just need a better coach and they need to work on not giving away little things to the Swedes (such as unneccessary corners). Sweden got too comfortable with their 1-0 lead and although they had more strategy to their game,they would have needed to score a second goal asap after the first one.

England-Russia will be an interesting match! Croatia just crushed Andorra (0-6!).
Goodluck to the English forummers, do or die!

edit:
Wow!! Scotland scored in France! (0-1 at the moment). If it will end like this, Scotland will be number ONE in a group with France, Ukraine & Italy. Excellent!

Holland's Van Nistelrooij scored in the last minute in Albania. A bad match and a lucky result but I'm happy with the 3 points. *Taking deep breath*

Forostar said:
England-Russia will be an interesting match! Croatia just crushed Andorra (0-6!).
Goodluck to the English forummers, do or die!
What a difference four days make. One minute, we are fourth in the table, then two wins and 6 goals later (without reply) and we sit second. An interesting stat was made on the BBC coverage is that Hiddink has never coached a side that has beaten any English side (at club level or international level) in any match (be it competitive or friendly). And we all remember the last time he took a side to Wembley - if you need reminding, click here. :D

And who suggested Gareth Barry should no longer be overlooked? *looks in the direction of NA*

Forostar said:
Wow!! Scotland scored in France! (0-1 at the moment). If it will end like this, Scotland will be number ONE in a group with France, Ukraine & Italy. Excellent!
Not so excellent for the us south of the border, jeez - they will be gloating for months..... :huh:

Please, we have a coach to sell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurry up !!!!

Mr. Scolari....

Hurry.... it´s free....

We will indeed - I can't promise the same result for England though. Games like that, when it all comes together so well, are few and far between. I have only really seen England destroy world class opposition twice in recent years. The Dutch game as shown in my link and the 5-1 drubbing of Germany in Munich a few years back.

One of his best goals that - Colin Hendrie was really made to look like a complete novice. What was more incredible was that it resulted from Seaman catching the ball from a Scotland corner that England conceded from McAlister's penalty miss. So from Scotland having a chance to equalise 1-1, to going doing 2-0 happened in a matter of seconds.

And then, the UEFA Champions League is up and going again. Not many surprises tonight, the biggest one was probably the 1-1 draw between Chelsea and Rosenborg. I guess I will meet a lot of happy people at work tomorrow - as Rosenborg's home ground is the closest neighbour of the Norwegian University of Technology and Science where I work/study.

(It should be mentioned that Rosenborg is not the club I support, I come from Fredrikstad in southeastern Norway and therefore I support Fredrikstad FK. But I always send some friendly thoughts to the other Norwegian teams when they play in Europe).

Back