Official Football Thread

A lot of Police presence at all football matches is a must if only to control the movement of such a large number of people. Granted if no Police did exist at the games, I dread to think what could happen - but it must be said that on the whole, the Police have done a good job over the last decade or so in quashing the hooliganism in and around our grounds.

3 days until history is made

Farnborough Football Club play their first ever competative game away to Godalming.  :yey:

Wish I was going but I live 3,500 miles away  :(

But apparently there is free bus travel the the game and a bacon butty for those who turn up at Cherrywood road before 10:00am  ;)

P.S. Can I say "Bloody Watford" now? Or will that let loose the fact that I may or may not support the same team as Robert Plant?

Wednesday, 15 August. Spanish side Barcelona wins the Franz Beckenbauer Cup after defeating German League Cup winners Bayern Munich 1-0 after Argentine star Lionel Messi scored the only goal in the 85th minute at the packed Allianz Arena in Munich yesterday. This match, however, is Mehmet Scholl's testimonial as his footballing career officially ends. He was given a standing ovation as he leaves the field. Also present at the match was Dutch star and Scholl's ex-teammate Roy Makaay, who now plays in his country for Feyenoord.   

Attachments

• Barcelona logo.jpg
    Barcelona logo.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Barcelona - 2007 Franz Beckenbauer Cup Winners.jpg
    Barcelona - 2007 Franz Beckenbauer Cup Winners.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 7
Saturday 18th August. Southend were around 5 minutes from taking one point from Leeds - but ended up loosing 4-1. :(

Friday, 17 August. A.C. Milan made history by winning the Berlusconi Trophy for the 9th time after beating Juventus 2-0 at home. Filippo Inzaghi, formerly of Juventus, scored two goals in the 43rd and 47th minutes. The trophy was named for Luigi Berlusconi, the father of A.C. Milan president and owner Silvio. Juventus won the Berlusconi Trophy 8 times, nearly equalling Milan's record.  Well done!

Attachments

• A.C. Milan - 2007 Berlusconi Trophy Winners.jpg
    A.C. Milan - 2007 Berlusconi Trophy Winners.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14
thousand_suns said:
Friday, 17 August. A.C. Milan made history by winning the Berlusconi Trophy for the 9th time after beating Juventus 2-0 at home. Filippo Inzaghi, formerly of Juventus, scored two goals in the 43rd and 47th minutes. The trophy was named for Luigi Berlusconi, the father of A.C. Milan president and owner Silvio. Juventus won the Berlusconi Trophy 8 times, nearly equalling Milan's record.  Well done!

With a home made trophy? :D
Jokes apart, Juventus played a great first half. Sometimes scores don't reflect the real course of a match, but hey, that's football :) Milan has always a solid team, while Juventus has to work hard (2/3 of its players are new) to be competitive at high levels.

Sunday, 19 August. Copa del Rey winners Sevilla add another trophy, this time the Spanish Super Cup, into its silverware collection after winning 6-3 on aggregate over league champs Real Madrid. The 1st leg saw Sevilla beat Real Madrid 1-0 at home while the 2nd leg saw Real lose to Sevilla 3-5.

Attachments

• Sevilla - Spanish Super Cup 2007 Winners.jpg
    Sevilla - Spanish Super Cup 2007 Winners.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 12
Yesterday, at Milano's Meazza stadium, Roma won the first official trophy of new italian season, the "Supercoppa Italiana":

Inter - Roma 0-1 (De Rossi, penalty)

Next saturday, first match of "Serie A", Juventus - Livorno.

Albie said:
A lot of Police presence at all football matches is a must if only to control the movement of such a large number of people. Granted if no Police did exist at the games, I dread to think what could happen - but it must be said that on the whole, the Police have done a good job over the last decade or so in quashing the hooliganism in and around our grounds.

I was at QPR-Cardiff on Saturday (don't ask me about the match!) and there was the same huge police presence that I encountered last week. And I mean huge! Last week as an away supporter we were kept for about half an hour after the match before being let out. Then all the hoohah at the train station meant I missed my connection in London. On Saturday at Loftus Road, they must have let Cardiff fans out after about 10 minutes, because by the time I had walked around the stadium to the road I needed to get out, it was us home fans who were being stopped from going anywhere by the police, while they conveyed the Cardiff fans back to the station or coaches. Am I being picked on?!

Also on Sunday, 19 August, Italian Cup holders Roma win the Super Cup after defeating league champions Inter Milan 1-0 like it did in the 2nd leg of the Italian Cup Final back in May.

Attachments

• Roma - Italian Super Cup 2007 Winners.jpg
    Roma - Italian Super Cup 2007 Winners.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 13
Bummer. Bad news for the Dutch squad. Van der Sar has a foot injury. Tomorrow an important friendly match vs Switzerland. I am curious about the result. It was 51 years ago when Holland beat Switzerland in an away match!

Today and tomorrow a lot of friendly matches and also some qualification matches.

Let's pick 10 friendly matches and try to predict some:

Bulgaria-Wales                Bulgaria wins
Russia-Poland                 draw
Norway-Argentina           draw(!)
Denmark-Ireland             Denmark wins
Switzerland-Holland         Hmm, well, after 51 years it's about time: Holland wins
Iceland-Canada              Iceland is strong at home: Iceland wins
Sweden-USA                  draw
Scotland-South-Africa      draw
Slowakia-France              draw(!)

and last but not least:

England-Germany!            draw

Place your bets! :)

I'll go with most of those predictions Forostar, but I think Scotland will beat South Africa and Sweden will beat the US. The England Germany game will be interesting. Shame it's just a friendly - there is nothing better that these two playing in a competitive match - and England have the better of them in recent years with 2 wins out of three.

Out of 12 times that Holland played against Switzerland (for the record:away, IN the land of the Alps ;) ), Holland only won twice and lost ten times!  :blink:

Must be those mountains, impressing us lowlands living Dutchies. ;)

Albie, we both lost mate  :down:

Holland was pretty bad!

We were wrong about most predictions, but you were right about Scotland and Sweden!!
Further we only had Russia-Poland correct: Guus Hiddink-Leo Beenhakker: 2-2

Forostar said:
Albie, we both lost mate  :down:
I must admit, England - although created many chances - missed Owen's sharpness in front of goal. Had he been match fit, England could have perhaps scrapped a win. But it's all immaterial now and it was just a friendly. What matters is the Israel game. :D

Back