Official American Football Thread

Well, I picked the Cards, the Colts, Miami, and Philly.... I figured that everyone was under-rating the Cards.  Looks like I overrated the Colts.  Miami/Baltimore is a tough call, but I am thinking that in the heat, Miami will be more used to it.  Looks like I mite have been wrong about that one, but it is getting closer.

I'm sorry, Jordan, but I think Philly is a little 'hotter' than MN. 

MVP my ass. It should have gone to either Matt Cassel or Joe Flacco. At least Peyton will have plenty of time to make a new MasterCard commercial. Speaking of commercials, has Dan Marino brought me my Isotoner Gloves yet? Oh I forgot he had to go on Nutrisystems first.

Yeah, Manning didn't look so hot in that playoff game.  I think PHilly and AZ looked good on both sides of the ball... NY/Philly game will be good, since Philly beat them a few weeks back.

I went 2-2 this weekend on my picks.  This week will be harder SD came close in Pitt earlier this season, and I think they are playing better; if Big Ben is feeling well, tho, I'll pick Pitt 17-14.

Balt/TN... I think I'll go with TN, their offense is a little more consistant that the Ravens... prob TN 21-17

Panthers/Cardinals  -- against winning teams AZ sucks, so I think Carolina 31-17

The toughy... NY/PHilly.... hmmm.... NY has been a little weird without Plax, so I might lean towards Philly, even tho McNabb isn't very good in 2nd round games.... Philly 21-20.

I was really impressed by Arizona this weekend. If they actually keep running the ball, they're a legit dark horse.

I missed most of the AFC games because of other commitments. I heard the SD/Indy game was good. But no loss to me - I'm an NFC fan. AFC can go suck a fat one. :bigsmile:

With Vikings out, who will I root for now? Must be NFC, and not Giants because I don't like repeat Super Bowl champs (except for the original repeat, Green Bay winning I and II). I think I'll pull for the visitors this weekend (Cards and Eagles, while the AFC continues to suck a fat one).

Time to break off of 666 I guess:

I missed most of the AFC games because of other commitments. I heard the SD/Indy game was good. But no loss to me - I'm an NFC fan. AFC can go suck a fat one.

Yes, the AFC CAN go suck a fat one. The time of their Super Bowl dominance is at an end I think.

Panthers/Cardinals - Arizona is too inconsistent and will bow down to the pressure of Carolina's home field advantage in this one (though I've been to that stadium and it is pretty tame compared to other NFL stadiums.... bible belt influence methinks). Panthers 34 - Cardinals 24

Eagles/Giants - The Eagles are riding high but their offensive line is looking susceptible and New York will blitz the hell out of McNabb. I personally like the playing time of the wild card weekend over the week off for the bye teams but the Giants needed the rest. Giants 28 - Eagles 23

Steelers/Chargers - I guess this one depends a lot on the health of Big Ben, he's tough but he's taken a hell of a beating this year. I just don't see San Diego traveling well to Pittsburgh in the middle of January though. Toughest game of the weekend. Steelers 19 - Chargers 13

Ravens/Titans - At this point in the year I am having a hard time seeing Baltimore losing to anyone. Their defense is off the charts and their offense finishes games brilliantly. My Super Bowl winner pick. Screw Tennessee. Ravens 31 - Titans 26

I know, I contradicted myself by picking Baltimore winning the Super Bowl out of the AFC, I mean their dominance ends NEXT year.
;)

I am pulling for the Titans, since I talked to some kid from Nashville on the phone and I promised him I would.

Promises are meant to be broken LC. Just go with the team you think have the coolest helmets. (Definitely NOT Tennessee)

I am glad you have your priorities in order, LC. With the Pats out, I am just glad the Colts are gone too. I am surprised no one has had anything to say about the most selfish man in the NFL, Mr. Brett Farve.

Well, I don't think he's selfish, I think the Packers were terrible to him, but I am interested in your opinion.

Brett Favre is the man! He carries himself very well for a quarterback of his stature and importance to the history of the NFL. Many, MANY other football players that couldn't even hold his jock strap are much more selfish and bitchy than he is.... and don't forget, he has EARNED the right to have some cockiness about him. No, I am in no way a Jets or Packers fan, Brett Favre is just that fucking cool.

Brett Favre is almost certainly finished with the Jets, though if he goes to a team like the Vikings next year, that would be interesting.  If they could get home field in the playoffs, that would be VERY interesting, because they would play in a dome.  However, notwithstanding his past success at Green Bay, he is now no longer effective in cold weather, which explains the Jets' late-season collapse (and the Packers' playoff collapse last year).  He single-handedly ended the Jets' season with his abysmal performance against Miami, and he single-handedly cost the Packers a trip to the Super Bowl with his abysmal performance against the Giants last year. 

In contrast, anyone who doesn't think Peyton Manning deserved the league MVP this year doesn't understand football.  (That TD pass to Wayne last weekend was fucking brilliant.)  And anyone who thinks Joe Flacco(!) was more deserving REALLY doesn't understand football.  Manning willed the Colts to a remarkable 12-4 record, including a couple of victories in which he almost single-handedly won the game, despite being injured and not having any semblance of a running game.  Probably his second best season ever, other than the one in which he set the passing records (since broken by Brady). 

My picks for this weekend:  Carolina, Eagles, Steelers and Ravens. 

Steelers will win the Super Bowl, because they have the best defense.  On that note, consider that the Defensive Player of the Year Award was just given to a player (James Harrison) who was undrafted out of college and was cut four times before being given a chance in Pittsburgh.  Persistence pays!

NigelTufnel said:
I am surprised no one has had anything to say about the most selfish man in the NFL, Mr. Brett Farve.

That's utter horseshit. Farve is almost always brutally honest in what he says to the press, and sometimes that means saying bad things. That doesn't make him selfish. As a Packers fan, I've watched him closely since 1992, and Favre may be the one player in the NFL without a selfish bone in his body.

In fact, you're the first person I've ever heard make any statement like that. Most people who I've spoken to about Favre have nothing but praise for him - and that includes fans of all teams, not just cheeseheads like me.

But I remain open-minded on this matter. I'll concede that being a Pack fan may bias me. So please tell me what selfish acts or words Favre has done/said. If you can show me one, I'll gladly join you in calling him selfish.

I will say this: Favre never should have played for the Jets. He should have stayed retired, even if he felt he was forced out early. The end of this season proves his body can't take it anymore. Maybe if he learned to slow down and play smarter he could handle it, but then he wouldn't be Brett Favre.

I don't think Joe Flacco deserved any MVP consideration, he is carried by a great defense. Chad Pennington, however, definitely deserved MORE MVP consideration.

Green Bay offered the man 20-25 mil to stay home in Mississippi. He didn't want to step aside for the younger Aaron Rodgers. He didn't want to sit on the sideline and hold a clipboard. He is a competitor. I can understand that itch to play every game and the desire to win. But what he should have done back in March was to tell Green Bay Management to kiss his ass and that he was'nt retiring. But he caved to the pressure and retired. That gave Green Bay the greenlight to get Rogers going. Then when training camp is about to start, Farve decides, well I guess I have one more season in me and I should start every game like always. I know I said I would step aside for the kid, but my ego needs to be fed some more. So screw the idea of me standing on the sideline, holding a clipboard and taking this kid under my wing and teaching him on how to be a winner in this league. If Farve decided to do that , I would call him the greatest leader in the NFL.

And yes D & N I forgot about the resurrection of Chad Pennington this year. He definitely belongs in the MVP category. 

NigelTufnel said:
So screw the idea of me standing on the sideline, holding a clipboard and taking this kid under my wing and teaching him on how to be a winner in this league. If Farve decided to do that , I would call him the greatest leader in the NFL. 

That's called coaching. Favre wanted to play. He wouldn't be the "greatest leader", just the "newest coach".

Hm... that is kinda difficult, I haven't watched a lot of FL football (and I just have to root against all FL college teams); I'm going with OU.

Part of being a team player is knowing when to step aside. Back in 2002 when the Patriots had their improbable SuperBowl run, much of the credit can go to Drew Bledsoe. When Bledsoe came back from his injury, he did not get a chance to win his starting job back from Tom Brady. He did not whine or cry about it to the media like most of the athletes would do today. Instead he put the team above himself and his ego, took a young rookie QB by the name of Tom Brady under his wing and helped him with his game. The $115 million dollar QB , in the prime of his career, put his feelings aside and did what was right for his team. I'm just saying Brett Farve had the same chance, even though under different circumstances because he is in the twilight of his career, to do the same with Rogers.On most team sports, the veteran players are very much indeed like coaches.

Florida beats Oklahoma.

Back