Official American Football Thread

I agree, but with 50+ schools that are 'decent', I think it would be difficult to decide who belongs in the playoffs-- does a 10-1 Big Ten team belong, but a 9-2 SEC team not?  -- especially when the Big Ten team may play well in that conference, but in reality, not be anywhere near as good as the SEC team.  I think it would be difficult to determine what teams are 'worthy'...

Have the best teams from each division play each other. Then have the winners from each division face the other, until you have two left. That would settle the strength of schedule issue.

So...the 43rd superbowl is to be Steelers vs. Cardinals.

Did anyone see that one coming? I know I didn't (at least the Cardinals part). After an amazing season the Titans were almost the first to go, the Giants are nowhere to be seen and even the Eagles flopped at the last minute against the Cardinals. Even though I'll be rooting for the Steelers come superbowl, I'm kinda happy for the Cardinals as they have never won anything (at least so I've heard).

I did not see the Cardinals in the SuperBowl. I thought the Eagles would win, but they only played in the 3rd quarter. For once it was'nt McNabb's fault. The defense did'nt show up.

Go Cards! This will actually be a really good match-up. A proven Superbowl winning quarterback with a collection of the best receivers in the NFL today vs. one of the best defenses we have seen this decade.

Yeah, warner and Fitzgerald are studs.  Dont forget about 'the Edge'.  He hasn't been worth much during the season, but he is still a good player. 

I wanna see the Cards win, but it seems that whenever a 'high flying' offense meets up against a smokin defense, the D wins.  Think of Seattle vs Pitt, Oakland vs Tampa... Dunno about NY vs BAltimore (I don't think that the Collins Offense of NY was that great, but the D was SMOKIN for the Ravens).

I'm liking the Cards for the underdog factor but also because of Tim Hightower, Edge's backup. He went to the University of Richmond and came into the NFL undrafted. As you well know, there aren't many NFL superstars out of my hometown college.

Hell yes!  He (Hightower) was a stud running back on my fantasy team for a few weeks-- he helped me to a few good wins!

If Pittsburg brings the blitz, they could be in trouble. Warner can kill an aggressive defense with the 3 step drop. Plus Larry Fitzgeradl's hands are absoultley lethal. Polamalu IMHO, will be the biggst factor for Pittsburg. As he goes so will the Steelers.

As he goes so will the Steelers.

I think you're right about that Nigel; his performance always does seem to portend the outcome of the game for the Steelers. If he gets an interception in this game (which he will probably run back for a touchdown), the Steelers win it.

Steelers can put up points with Defense too. Pats beat Warner and The Fastest Show on Turf by playing a cover 2. Warner had the time, but nowhere to throw. I would like to see the RedBirds win because they used to be in St Louis, and it would be serendipitous if Warner won again with a team that used to be in St Louis.

when were they in St. Louis? From what I hear the Cardinals have been in AZ for 40 some odd years?

They left St Louis in 1987, if memory serves.  I don't recall when they left Chicago for St. L, tho.

I think they left Chicago in the 50s. I know they were in St. Louis by the 70s at the latest - that's when I first heard of them as a kid.

jeebus I'm getting old ... next year the 70s will be 4 decades ago ...

Wasted is correct, the Cards were in St Louis until 1987, then in 1994-95 they poached the Rams from LA. The Raiders also Moved back to Oakland the same year. It's hard to believe that no one has put a team back in LA since.

Of significantly greater importance to me than the Super Bowl is the news that the Chiefs have fired Herm Edwards. 
:yey:
This is important because I have been a Chiefs fan since I was a kid, and the past two seasons have been painful to watch.  I was not encouraged when HBO's Hard Knocks series covered the Chiefs' training camp a couple of years ago and it became clear that Herm Edwards' IQ is not much higher than his age.  I will probably never forget the image of him spending an hour writing a sign on a piece of cardboard with a magic marker like a five-year-old and then standing outside the team's facility holding up the sign as the players arrived for their first day.  I looked at my wife, winced, and said, "not good."  Six wins and twenty-six losses later, the nightmare is over.  The speculation has been that the Chiefs would hire Todd ("Don't Call Me That") Haley, the Cardinals' offensive coordinator, though today the scuttlebutt is that Mike Shanahan is a possibility.  All in all, a banner day in my life. 

Oh yeah, I'm still picking the Steelers to win it all, as I did two rounds ago, but I'll probably be rooting for the Cardinals. 
D&N said:
Screw LA, they have the Lakers to sustain them.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.  The Lakers are awesome this year.  And who needs an NFL team when I have DirecTV Sunday Ticket, perhaps the greatest media innovation of my lifetime. 

cornfedhick said:
Of significantly greater importance to me than the Super Bowl is the news that the Chiefs have fired Herm Edwards. 
:yey:
This is important because I have been a Chiefs fan since I was a kid, and the past two seasons have been painful to watch.  I was not encouraged when HBO's Hard Knocks series covered the Chiefs' training camp a couple of years ago and it became clear that Herm Edwards' IQ is not much higher than his age.  I will probably never forget the image of him spending an hour writing a sign on a piece of cardboard with a magic marker like a five-year-old and then standing outside the team's facility holding up the sign as the players arrived for their first day.  I looked at my wife, winced, and said, "not good."  Six wins and twenty-six losses later, the nightmare is over.  The speculation has been that the Chiefs would hire Todd ("Don't Call Me That") Haley, the Cardinals' offensive coordinator, though today the scuttlebutt is that Mike Shanahan is a possibility.  All in all, a banner day in my life. 

Oh yeah, I'm still picking the Steelers to win it all, as I did two rounds ago, but I'll probably be rooting for the Cardinals. 
Don't hate the player, hate the game.  The Lakers are awesome this year.  And who needs an NFL team when I have DirecTV Sunday Ticket, perhaps the greatest media innovation of my lifetime. 

You and I are on the same page!!  I hadn't heard the Herm news until you posted it, but what a great day in KC!!

I never understood why K C wanted Edwards in thefirst place, seeing how he was Parcell's successor in new York, and their Second choice.

Back