Official American Football Thread

Jordan said:
Bennett? You mean Turner?

Right, sorrry, Michael Turner.  That first game, he ran for some stupid high yardage, and that allowed Matt Ryan (right matt?) to be a passer instead of a gettin' sacked QB.

Yep! Michael Turner is a standout running back, and a very good one. It should be a great game to see the leagues top 2 rushers going against each other.

Yeah, especially with the Vikes having a top-notch run defense!

I made it to the playoffs in my fantasy league!  There are 8 teams, and I was running 8th through the first 9 weeks, then I went on a 5-1 streak, beating all the guys ahead of me!  So, the playoffs has 4 of the 8, and I'm 4th... going against the league leader (we split the season). 

Wasted155 said:
Yeah, especially with the Vikes having a top-notch run defense!

I made it to the playoffs in my fantasy league!  There are 8 teams, and I was running 8th through the first 9 weeks, then I went on a 5-1 streak, beating all the guys ahead of me!  So, the playoffs has 4 of the 8, and I'm 4th... going against the league leader (we split the season). 
I'm in a fantasy league too. There were 6 teams and I finished #2. I had a bye last week and I have won 8 straight games.

So the regular season is over, and now it's playoff time!

AFC Wild Card

Baltimore (11-5) @ Miami (11-5)
Indianapolis (12-4) @ San Diego (8-8)

NFC Wild Card

Philadelphia (9-6-1) @ Minnesota (10-6)
Atlanta (11-5) @ Arizona (9-7)

How come San Diego is such garbage and it gets in?  Someone explain the playoff system to me.

LooseCannon said:
How come San Diego is such garbage and it gets in?  Someone explain the playoff system to me.
Since Denver lost in week 16 and were 8-7 at the time and San Diego won that week and went to 7-8 it set up a matchup for the next week (week 17) with Denver playing San Diego to decide who would win the AFC West, San Diego beat the crap out of the Broncos thus winning the AFC West.

LC..it's like the NHL. Not all the best teams get in. The Pats are 11 and 5 and did'nt make it.The Chargers are 8-8 and won their division. Kinda of like whoever wins the South East in hockey.

Yep, there are 4 divisions in each conference--- AFC north, south, east and west & NFC north, south, east and west.  So, there are 4 division winners that make the playoffs, and two 'wild card' teams-- the two teams that have the best records but didn't win a division.  So, a total of 6 teams make it in from each conference.  The two top rated teams get a bye week, so the two lower division winners have a home game against the two wild card teams.  On occasion, you will have divisions that are really horrid (see both AFC and NFC west's).  Due to that, you'll have some really good teams (like the Pats) miss the playoffs, while some really bad ones make it.  That AZ cards will be gone, maybe, in the first game.  The Chargers (SD), however, have become a really hot team, and would likely have a better record if it wasn't for a total fucking that they got by the refs in the 2nd game of the season.  -- watch them do well (tho they do play the Colts, who are a bad ass team all by themselves).

So, that's the playoffs.  Thankfully, the Cowboys didn't make it!

I'm celebrating because Bowlen finally fired Shanahan yesterday. It's years overdue. He was a terrible coach. His system only worked when he had top-notch players like Elway or Sharpe. Without hall of famers, he was lucky to ever win a game.
Jordan said:
He always chokes at the end of the season when it actually matters.

And it's always beautiful to behold, since I don't like a thing about the Cowboys.

The only team I like less is the Bears. (Remember, I'm a cheesehead.) And while I'm not fond of the Vikes, they are an infinitely better division champ than those chumps from Chicago.

Hell, I'd be happy with Detroit being awarded the division title by means of clerical error or divine intervention. Anyone but the damn Bears.

As a matter of fact, I have to root for the Vikings to win the Super Bowl now. You see, if they win it all, then I can say: "It's not so bad losing the division to the Vikes - after all, they beat everyone this year." But if the Vikes don't win it all, then my Pack lost their division to just another loser.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I'm celebrating because Bowlen finally fired Shanahan yesterday. It's years overdue. He was a terrible coach. His system only worked when he had top-notch players like Elway or Sharpe. Without hall of famers, he was lucky to ever win a game.
And it's always beautiful to behold, since I don't like a thing about the Cowboys.

The only team I like less is the Bears. (Remember, I'm a cheesehead.) And while I'm not fond of the Vikes, they are an infinitely better division champ than those chumps from Chicago.

Hell, I'd be happy with Detroit being awarded the division title by means of clerical error or divine intervention. Anyone but the damn Bears.

As a matter of fact, I have to root for the Vikings to win the Super Bowl now. You see, if they win it all, then I can say: "It's not so bad losing the division to the Vikes - after all, they beat everyone this year." But if the Vikes don't win it all, then my Pack lost their division to just another loser.
I know exactly how you feel man. The Bears make me sick to my stomach sometimes. I watched the game a couple Monday's ago with Chicago and Green Bay and it made me sick the way that they came back to win that game. I am confident in the Vikings at this point, T-Jack is looking great and we had the rushing leader in Adrian Peterson. As long as we don't make any mistakes (turning the ball over) and if we can hold the Eagles offense, we should have ourselves a victory.

NigelTufnel said:
I am still dumbfounded that the Patriots are out , at 11-5. Oh the humanity.
It must have been because they lost to Miami or something. They would have got in if the Jets would have beat Miami.

Yup, they lost to Miami. But on the other hand Peyton "Crying Whiner" Manning is out in the first round. I am sure he will be in the paper talking about how the officials had something to do with the outcome in overtime, not that they could'nt make 4 yards on 2 plays during their last possession. As a die hard Pats fan, that is my SuperBowl.

Back