NOW READING

[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=album01_ironmaiden/phantom/phantom00&link=albums&lang=eng\' target=\'_blank\'][img src=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/pictures/pictures01_ironmaiden/phantom02_small.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /][/a]

Yes! I re-read Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera after about 30 years since the last time I did (I'd read it in its original text then, and settled for an English version this time).

What can I say? It's a great book. The style is a bit "oldish" and quite remote from Stephen King's, but it's still an excellent read.

I personally liked Erik's character, and hated that little wimp of a Raoul de Chagny. I can't understand why Christine fell for that toe-rag... Erik may be ugly beyond belief, but he is cultured and attentive to her desires, whereas Raoul has the cognition of a banana or of an IMBBer. Women, hey? I'll never understand them! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, the E-text is now on the Commentary, and I'd be very happy to get some feedback from anyone interested in reading this classic novel [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Possibly the silliest book I've ever read (school novels excluded), but still one of the best. Explaining the content would be ridiculous, not only because it varies from book to book, but also because it's hilarious over the top. Anyway, it's one of these books you will either love or hate. Myself I'd rather love it.

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+May 19 2004, 05:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ May 19 2004, 05:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Possibly the silliest book I've ever read (school novels excluded), but still one of the best. Explaining the content would be ridiculous, not only because it varies from book to book, but also because it's hilarious over the top. Anyway, it's one of these books you will either love or hate. Myself I'd rather love it.[/quote]
I read it twice and it was even more funny on the second time.

I also suggest novels by Fredric Brown. It's kind of the same humour, maybe not so silly but still very funny. Martians go home is one of his best.

[img src=\'http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net/books/fightclub/covers/france.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

I don't read a lot.. it'd be more appropriate to say that I almost NEVER read. But ever since I read "Fight Club" ( the book that inspired the movie.. watch it, it's my all-time favourite), I got hooked to this guy's (Chuck Palahniuk's) writings. I went on to read "Survivor", which, although not as good as FC, is still WAY better than the stuff you usually read. But let me warn you, this guy is a real devil when it comes to indirect implications, so you've got to be VERY patient. Oh, and if you like it, plaese let me know about your views.
To give you an idea of how extreme his work can be, I'll give you a link to one of his short-stories, GUTS, which allegedly made several people pass-out or throw-up when he read it to them. Now THAT's something that you don't read very often. Or better still, download the audio rendition of it narrated by Chuck himself [a href=\'http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mcneal/mirror/guts.mp3\' target=\'_blank\']here[/a]. To read the story, go [a href=\'http://www.fascinating-destroyer.net/kelly/chuckpalahniukguts.htm\' target=\'_blank\']here.[/a]

[!--QuoteBegin-abhi+May 27 2004, 09:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(abhi @ May 27 2004, 09:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] The book or the short-story? [/quote]
short-story..... nice and gorey... but i prefer to read something that wont scare the crap out of me because it could happen to anyone [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway I would like to recommend....

Terry Pratchett's 'The Hogfather'
A Discworlde Novel

Like many of Pratchetts later Discworld novels, you can relate to everything else going on in the Discworld. This is one of the books around the central character of Death, Albert, Susan (Deaths Grand-daughter [adopted [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ]) and the Wizards that reside in Ankh-Morporks Wizarding College, Unseen University.

The plot is thus; The Hogfather (the Discworld equivilant of Father Christmas) has been killed, and Death has to take up the role of Hogfather until someone works out exactly what is wrong with him and how to stop it.

Hilariously punctuated with the Verruca Gnome, The Sock Eater and Mr Teatime.

I'm sure that one of you has read most if not all of the Discworld novels. This was intended for a brief overview for someone who has already read at least 4-5 Discworld books of varying subject.

[!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] < The Happy Fairy [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Recently, I reread the 5 Harry Potter book (i wont review these one [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

I also read the Philip Pullman trilogy. I think the name of the trilogy in english is «His Dark Materials» but I'm not sure.
The first book is either «Nortern Lights» or «The Golden Compass» is set in a paralel wolrd.
The second's named «The Subtle Knife» in that one, they travel between our world and another one.
And the third is «The Amber Spyglass».

It was really great and the story is about a young girl who wants to save a friend that had been kidnapped by «criminals» but this adventure will lead her to a greater «mission».

I really liked the author's vision of god : an impostor.

The other book I read is DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. That one too was great. An american must try to find to truth behind the murder of the curator of the Louvre with the help of his grand-daughter. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil it if someone decide to read it..... [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Right now I'm reading «Pas d'admission sans histoire» by Plume Latraverse. I wrote the title in french cause i doubt that book will ever be translated [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .

It is called 'His Dark Materials' ......

And its on my list of things to read next,

After my current read....... Carpe Jugulum by Mr Pratchett (i will finish it within the next hour)

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It is called 'His Dark Materials' ......[/quote]
I wasn't sure cause the title in french is completly different....

[!--QuoteBegin-dogigniter+Jun 5 2004, 06:07 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Jun 5 2004, 06:07 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I've just started 'Nothern Lights'. Gripping read. [/quote]
i've heard good things.

im reading right now nothing. why do i belong here? i dont. [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

lol dont worry Squall... nice Final Fantasy reference there btw [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

will shortly post review of Northen Lights, will review all 'The Dark Materials' in time [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I read The Giver, really good book. And currently reading Fight Club, I loved the movie and the book is even weirder (I have 20 pages to go)

Back