NOW READING

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

[img src=\'http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0590660543.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

The immediate sensation is that of curiosity. Pullman deliberately hides the strange subtle differences in Lyras' universe compared with that of our own. For example, he does not explain the existance of daemons. This is deliberately done so the reader develops understanding as he/she reads through the book. Other things are done this way. Initially readers will be puzzled how there can be an Oxford in a parallel universe and also be something as out of touch of our own world as Witches, Armoured Bears and Tartars. This mixture of known and unknown entices the reader on from the beginning. Curiousity is the authors initial tool.

The pace of the book develops slowly, from slow in the first few chapters, to medium in the next four chapters and then building up to the lightning fast remaining half of the book. After the first or maybe second chapter into the book, the reader is drawn into reading it; ergo. it is impossible to put down.
Pullman has used his imagination to make some truely remarkable characters, which he fleshes out during the book, and does the same with particular relationships. For example, Lyra and her relationship with Iorek Byrnison develops and grows throughout the book.

However the storyline grows predicable, or at least that is the way I saw it. With the remaining two books to follow, you know what Lyra is going to do to warrant a trilogy. This in no way deteriorates the quality of the book, and indeed it is a extremely good read. I would say in my personal opinion that this is probably one of the best books I have ever read.

I have already finished 'The Subtle Knife'; I did so in under two days. I am now reading 'The Amber Spyglass'. Reviews shortly. [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I just finished reading "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke (he also wrote the story to "2001 A Space Odyssey" and is one of the greatest SciFi authors ever). I don't want to give away too much of the book, but the finale of the book surprised me, positively. It is remarkably up-to-date for a scifi book written in the fifties. I think it suits nyone who is interested in science fiction or philosophy.

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

Sequel to Northern Lights

[img src=\'http://213.253.134.29/jackets/l/059/0590112899.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

I decided that instead of a more analytical aproach I would explain the storyline a lot more. Analysis of Philip Pullmans writing style was included in previous review. This book continues in the same style, only suddenly the reader has to redefine their imagination of the book to include their own world and several million others.

This book starts by introducing us to a key figure in the trilogy, Will, who comes from our world, a world with traffic and electricity and all things that Lyras' world does not have. He is a boy of about Lyras age. Will's father disappeared when he was very young, and Will is determined to locate him. This is Will's task. The book begins with Will killing a man who is burgling his house by pushing him down the stairs.

Will manages to locate a window into another world, whilst on the run from the police (or criminals), on a residential street in Oxford, completely by accident, and travels into the world of Citagazze, where the novel is mostly based. Citagazze is explained as being the crossroad of every world. That is, it is the link to which every world is joined to. In this way, the window in Wills world, and the tear caused by Lord Asriel in Northern Lights leads to Wills location of Lyra and vice versa. Citagazze also contains creatures called Spectres, whos mist-like quantity make them difficult to see. Spectres can only attack adults, or those who have gone through puberty. It is explained later in the book that these creatures 'eat' away the inside of people, their soul, and are created of Dust.

Lyra goes to Wills universe to track down a scientist who can help her with Dust. Lyras' Dust is our equivilant to Dark Matter, and this is explained by a Dr. Malone who is to play an important role in the last book of the trilogy. The althiometer is stolen by Lord Boreal, who we have met in Northern Lights. He then blackmails Will and Lyra; if they want the althiometer back they have to get something from Citagazze. He himself cannot go for he is afraid of the Spectres. Will has to fight a teenager for possesion of the object which is a knife. The bearer of the knife teaches will to use it properly. The knife will cut through any material and also cut windows to other worlds. Using this tool, Will goes through to his own world and steals the althiometer back from Lord Boreal. Him and Lyra then travel North towards the fortress that Lord Asriel has contructed as a basis for his war against The Authority (God). Mrs Coulter, Lyra's mother, poisons the useless Boreal and sets off to capture Lyra.

Lee Scoresby (who has been introduced in Northern Lights), sets out to find Stansius Grumman, and explorer who, unknown to Scoresby, is actually Wills father. Scoresby takes Grumman to the new world, Citagazze, through the gap that Asriel has created between worlds. After a long battle, Grumman reaches his son, and heals the wound Will recieved when he fought for the knife. He is killed by a witch that knew him and hated him, as he refused her Love. Before this Scoresby himself dies, killed by one of the arms of the Church. Will finds that Lyra has gone from where she was sleeping, that she has been captured. Just before finding this out, Will meets two Angels who have traced their way to him due to his father and have come to protect him because he bears the knife.

Personally I read this book in a day. It was so great and easy to just keep on reading that I finished it so easily. The Subtle Knife introduces the reader to the scene, it is there to set the scene for the final book, The Amber Spyglass, which I still have to finish and review.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It is explained later in the book that these creatures 'eat' away the inside of people, their soul, and are created of Dust.[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but they are not created from Dust, they origin from the abyss (I'm not sure about the name, it's been awhile since i read the books)

[!--QuoteBegin-Battlemaniacs+Jun 16 2004, 11:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Battlemaniacs @ Jun 16 2004, 11:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
Correct me if I'm wrong but they are not created from Dust, they origin from the abyss (I'm not sure about the name, it's been awhile since i read the books) [/quote]
correct, sorry for mistake, they are created everytime the knife opens a window and come from the Abyss.

apology accepted [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm more than half way through Isaac Asimov's i, Robot. I decided to read it for two reasons: 1. I read R.U.R by Karol Kapek which is the first book (play to be exact) which deals and introduces the word Robot. However, Kapek's concept of robots is what we now think of as cyborgs or androids, machines that think, look and behave like humans but are without feelings. He is also concerned with the issue if the machines have a soul even though they think talk and are concious.
Asimov's i, Robot mentions this (the sould dilema) but doesn't concern himself with it too much. Also his robots are... well robots metal, glowing red eyes etc. Anywho, the second reason is the Movie that is due out July 16th. The movie says that it was SUGGESTED by Asimov's book and judging by the previews and what I've read so far (page 182 of 272) that is VERY true. Loosely based would be a better way of putting it, hehe. Great read and Highly recomended

It's not original, but I curently read The Lord of the Rings (for the second time).
But this time, I read it aloud (for my girlfriend), and it's very different...

I've seen that the sixth part of The Tales of Alvin Maker is out now ! (the story of a 7th son of a 7th son)
So I will read again the five first parts, and then buying it.
This story is very strange. There's a mix between Fantasy and History and sometimes it's really funny...

So about The Devil's Cloth : A History of Stripes by Michel Pastoureau.

Back in the Middle Ages, people were use to see and to represent things in two dimensions. Perspective in painting was not yet “discovered”.
Basically, they were then able to discern the background and the foreground. But the trouble with stripes is that you can’t tell which colour is in the background and which one is in the foreground; a black and white trousers, for example: is it a black trousers with white stripes or a white one with black stripes?
Stripes were confusing for the eyes and, in consequence, disturbing: it was therefore something evil. As stripes were connected with the devil, it was then associated with infamous things, bad things. Hence, everything linked to infamy was represented with stripes and everybody connected with infamy were told to dress with stripes by law : convicts, bastards, whores, jesters, executioners… As stripes are disturbing, they catch the eye easily. It was a way then to distinguish the “bad” people from the “honest” ones.

With the American revolution and then the French revolution, stripes became fashionable. They were a symbol of the fall of the ancient order.

After these years of political changes, the stripes remained on clothes and fabrics, but only a certain kind of them. Stripes with white and any other else pale colour are acceptable. They even become a sign of freshness, clean, good health (as in swimming suit, for example). White and blue stripes were integrated in marine also.

But all the other stripes are still associated with a negative meaning. They are not linked to the devil as in Middle Ages, but they still mean infamy as in the clothes of prisoners in penal colony. They also show danger (road signalisation), disorder. Therefore, even if their meaning is not as strong as before, wearing stripes (with vivid or dark colours) is a sign of transgression.

Short but very interesting book.

Whoa, Master Owl! Trust in you to come up with something completely cool to post about.

Wow, I have heard of that before, really cool, however stripes are no longer worn by prisoners. Most Prisons use an orange jumpsuit while others a dark blue...with no stripes. At least in the US and Mexico, I can't speak for other nations...

Currently reading "Stranger In A Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein and an anthology of Horror short stories by various authors (I love these anthologies).

Horror Anthologies are cool, I have a couple and not to mention Edgar Allen Poe's complete Works volume [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]. Well I'm currently reading Le Petit Prince. In Spanish of course because the only French I know is in Dave Mustaines "A Tut Le Monde" [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\'][span style=\'color:purple\'][span style=\'font-family:Impact\']Once again[/span][/span][/span]:
this thread is not about what you are reading but more about what you [span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\'][span style=\'color:purple\']did[/span][/span] read.

Thanks anyway for sharing it Onhell and Perun. I'm waiting for your comments on thoses books then...

Patience is a virtue... [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

FOR THE FIRST TIME:
Thanks for the heads up owl but the name of the thread is NOW reading NOT What you've read. But ok. it's the first time I hear of this and i asure you the last.

Damned ! It was a trap !

Good point though... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I just finished reading:

Michael Moore's Dude, Where's My Country?

Now, I know all you Americans on the board (namely Onhell and SMX) are with me in agreeing that bush* MUST be stopped. The man shows every single trait of a dictator-in-waiting that I like to call Little Adolf. Anyway. Onto the book.

This book is not just a critique of George W. Bush, as many people would label it. It's actually a critique of America at present. He bashes all three parties, though the ruling one the most. Moore makes a lot of points that take us from around 2000 until late 2003.

He bashes Bush for being a moron, Cheney for being greedy, Gore for being pacifist, (or a pussy-fest as anyone who watches RvB will tell you), and just about everyone else. Americans should read this book so they can vote INTELLIGENTLY come November.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]the only French I know is in Dave Mustaines "A Tut Le Monde" [/quote]

It's À tout le monde [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jul 6 2004, 06:50 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jul 6 2004, 06:50 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The man shows every single trait of a dictator-in-waiting[/quote]
There is a book in my "to read" list by Georgio Agamben: State of Exception that I think you may find interesting. The author explained one of the danger of our time, when demacracies are under attack, not only from terrorism but also from its own self-defence towards terrorism.
Basically, the state of exception, which should be a temporary measure in case of emergency, tends to become the rule nowadays. But when this happens, then and therefore, it becomes a danger to democracy itself as the gap between democracy and absolutism is reducted.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jul 6 2004, 04:50 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jul 6 2004, 04:50 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I just finished reading:

Michael Moore's Dude, Where's My Country? [/quote]
My favorite part is the begining of the book, the "letter" from homeland security saying your fingerprint has already been sent to the FBI and they will come get you for buying the book ehehehhe. Coincidently it's the only part of the book I've read [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] As for "A TOUT le Monde" that goes to show my extent of French (non-existant) [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back