Maiden new album in 2014

Well, I'm choosing to stick to what I believe on this one.

That's just ridiculous.

As @Mosh is saying, there's a bottom line everywhere. Someone is paying for the band to go on tour. That doesn't mean that if Maiden doesn't tour the individual members would be penniless, they've got plenty of money, but money runs out. If they stop touring, stop recording, stop promoting, there is no income. And, like all entertainment, the only way to make money is to spend money. Not to mention: all of the band members have families that they are, no doubt, supporting in full. Families aren't cheap, regardless of status.

As for the crew: without tours, they'd all be out of a job. And if no one is paying to see the band, the band isn't going on tour. A typical Iron Maiden tour would be a complete impossibility without money coming in, just to get to each city/country alone. Not to mention the marketing/advertising budget, which is usually the same as the production budget.

Well, I truly and honestly believe that Maiden has so much money already that they could never run out. I'm guessing that each band member has at least $20 million in the bank and possibly double or triple that depending on if/how they invested it and that is MUCH MORE than enough money to do everything for free if they wanted to.

You keep ignoring that there are more people involved than just the band.

I know there are more people involved. I mean the members of Maiden themselves not getting paid, but having enough money to pay for everything else and never running out because they are already super mega ultra rich.

Yeah, but who pays for the venues? Like, it costs a lot of money to rent a venue. $20,000 per arena, $10,000 per ampitheatre. That alone is a ton of money. If Maiden plays a 20 stadium tour that costs $200,000 before they even get out the door. So while you're saying Maiden could take no cut and do okay (which is probably fair), that wouldn't really reduce the ticket cost by that much. That's before anything is spent on transportation, crew, pyro, equipment, advertising....

I know there are more people involved. I mean the members of Maiden themselves not getting paid, but having enough money to pay for everything else and never running out because they are already super mega ultra rich.

Theoretically speaking, you may be correct, but why would they do that? The band members are the main reason people spend money to see them in concert. Most of the people that set the stages up (sound techs, riggers, etc) make about 60 thousand dollars a year. If the band members donate their cut of salary to a charity, that would be cool, but I don't think they'll ever have a meeting between them and say. "Hey, last tour was really great, we all made a ton of cash! Lets go back out for a year and not take any profit from it!" Without the band members, there'd be no music, albums, or stages to set up or fans to play to! They paid their dues and should get compensated for it. Veteran musicians are no different than professional athletes... Sure, they love what they do AND all that comes with it, such as mansions, cars, and the opportunity to give their families a lifestyle they would never have otherwise ! :D

As was said earlier, Maiden is a business as well as a band. Even if they wanted to give something big to the fans and cover all the costs themselves, transport, venue costs, staff and all, it's considered irresponsible to run a business in such a way that it's losing money or missing out on making money. As much as we'd all love to think music is life for these guys, they got where they are today by being highly professional.

As was said earlier, Maiden is a business as well as a band. Even if they wanted to give something big to the fans and cover all the costs themselves, transport, venue costs, staff and all, it's considered irresponsible to run a business in such a way that it's losing money or missing out on making money. As much as we'd all love to think music is life for these guys, they got where they are today by being highly professional.

Exactly. To go out on the road and say, "we don't need to make money!" is just insane. Of course they need to make money. Music is a job, no matter how fun it looks.

Well, I truly and honestly believe that Maiden has so much money already that they could never run out. I'm guessing that each band member has at least $20 million in the bank and possibly double or triple that depending on if/how they invested it and that is MUCH MORE than enough money to do everything for free if they wanted to.

Ok, let's look at it using that logic. Any of the money that is invested is not getting touched, so let's say each member has $20 million in the bank. Now, back home, each member is facing payments on houses, cars, electricity, gas, food and all of the other things that normal people deal with every day. Plus, they are supporting a family, most likely paying for their children to go to good schools, including the incredibly costly colleges or universities. So let's cut about $5 million from every body's total worth to account for bills, debts, future living costs for an entire upper class family, and we're left with $15 million each (assuming each band member makes the same amount of money, which I doubt).

Knowing the grandiose scale that encompasses an Iron Maiden world tour, I would say that each tour costs at least $4-5 million (and that's being conservative). So, roughly two tours a year, six band members at $15 million, plus accounting for inflation, that's another 8-9 years of touring. Let's say the band wants to release two albums in that time and they pay for those albums out of pocket and take no return/make no profit. When you take the costs of recording, releasing, and promoting an album, let's knock a couple million off the top.

We now have about 7 years worth of future enjoyment of Iron Maiden. That puts the band at retirement age. Theoretically speaking, Maiden goes out on top, 7 years from now, they're bigger than ever. But guess what? They haven't made money in almost a decade! Plus, they've been spending their savings to continue making music and touring. So now we've got six retired men with families (who are only accustomed to the lifestyles of millionaires) living like Joe Paycheck-to-Paycheck, minus the paychecks. No, something's not right here...

I checked out the interview. It's quite long but the thing about a new Maiden album or a solo album is very short. Goes out like this:

I : Will you release a new album in 2014?
Bruce : No. There definitely will be a new album at some point but I don't know the exact date for it. Maybe 2015.
I : Will you release a solo album?
Bruce : People always ask me this question. We've been talking about it, why not?

@ The Flash. Thanks a lot for translating the general idea. Not very encouraging. I will sound stupid, but I don't really trust any of the two answers.

I was still really, really hoping they'd at least get into the studio in 2014. But, he's hardly going to say yes, when they probably haven't decided yet. I still think "no" is the only answer you're going to get to that question right now.

Plus, he is reported to have begun to work with Roy Z months ago, which means that a solo is on the way. I think he is getting bored with those questions and doesn't want to be too specific in his answers. Actually, I'm trying to conjure the nightmare of such a long wait :ahhh:. I had the secret hope that they could release two albums before retiring..

Unless they drop another history tour in somewhere beforehand, it really could be years before we see them tour again, too. Grim.

I'm starting to think there may actually not be another Maiden album.

Ah, you're ruining an already not too brilliant afternoon. Perun, could you see them doing just a farewell tour, without releasing anything ? This would be so mediocre. They definetely need a classy exit.

Back