Maiden continuing without Nicko - right or wrong?

Great dummer but who needs his antics back there distracting from the show. He'd be worse than Jannick.
So? That stuff is fun to watch. As long as it doesn't take away from the playing quality I don't see an issue with it.

He's very cool on stage, but his personality is way way different than any of Maiden's bandmembers. Maiden members don't give a lot of interviews. None of them use social media. They don't really have any scandals or feuds. And then there's Portnoy with his trillion side-projects, the Dream Theater drama and whatnot. It wouldn't be right. If Maiden ever decided to replace one of the current members, it'd be better if they went with someone unknown, like Priest did with Faulkner. I think I said that earlier in the thread :p

Well yea, I definitely wouldn't suggest him for Maiden but his stage antics are totally not the reason. More because of his big personality and tendency to act in a leadership role. Plus Maiden's songwriting style likely wouldn't work for him. I agree that it would have to be either someone unknown, or someone who is used to being a session drummer.

Well yea, I definitely wouldn't suggest him for Maiden but his stage antics are totally not the reason. More because of his big personality and tendency to act in a leadership role. Plus Maiden's songwriting style likely wouldn't work for him. I agree that it would have to be either someone unknown, or someone who is used to being a session drummer.

Agree with the additional reasons you list as well.

Last edited:
Talking about a perfect replacement for Nicko?! Here it is...

Watch the other IM covers from this guy...he is amazing.

Referring to Mikoza's video:

The guy is brilliant, but I believe there must be thousands of drummers who can play Powerslave that good. Comparing to death metal etc more fast-paced and drumwise demanding I would not be surprised at all. BUT... Nicko is the drummer who came up with that beat and those fills in the first place. Playing and copying is always easier that creating new music. There may have also been other drummers around at the time (in 1984) who COULD have done it. But Nicko DID, nobody else. Having Clive Burr on that track (if he had still played as well as the first three albums) would have been great, too, but different. And in that respect Nicko's style is unique and the best for this track.

P.S. I don't like Mike Portnoy or his style of playing, but surely we must admit he is technically superior to Nicko. Still, I enjoy Nicko's playing more. I see no paradox in stating this, music is no competition.

Nicko McBrain's a great and technical drummer, but I don't think he had that same level of enthusiasm that Clive Burr showed in his playing.

As far as replacements go, there are too many drummers out there -- popular or not -- able to fill in for him. After all, Iron Maiden influenced many metal bands since their first album.

Referring to Mikoza's video:

The guy is brilliant, but I believe there must be thousands of drummers who can play Powerslave that good. Comparing to death metal etc more fast-paced and drumwise demanding I would not be surprised at all. BUT... Nicko is the drummer who came up with that beat and those fills in the first place. Playing and copying is always easier that creating new music. There may have also been other drummers around at the time (in 1984) who COULD have done it. But Nicko DID, nobody else. Having Clive Burr on that track (if he had still played as well as the first three albums) would have been great, too, but different. And in that respect Nicko's style is unique and the best for this track.

Absolutely right. But also, if Nicko were to retire, Maiden would need one of those thousands who could play the Nicko-era stuff. They would then apply their own style and creativity to any new material. Maybe back in '82 it wasn't important to have a new drummer who could match the old one fill-for-fill, as the band was young and looking forward. These days, however, any future setlist is likely to contain more Nicko-era material than anything else, and the band would want someone who could match the records.

At this point in their career, i think they just want to have the same lineup for the last years of activity, sure they had lineup changes before but that's when they were a new "up and coming" band, i'll doubt they would replace any member if they decided to quit. If Maiden folds it will be a decision made by the whole band, that's why i don't think we will see another member leaving and getting replaced like in the past

Talking about a perfect replacement for Nicko?! Here it is...

Watch the other IM covers from this guy...he is amazing.
Late reaction but very cool to watch this. Thanks!
edit:
The sound is also (almost?) the same! Especially those toms! Insane! As if he is playing on the old kit the album was recorded with! :)

Clive Burr is the definitive drummer for Maiden for me so I wouldn't mind. The only two members that can't be replaced are DM & SH. If something happens to either one I think the band will end.

Steve is the only irreplaceable member.
But they are all essential.

I think Steve is only irreplaceable in that it's his band. That aside, I think any member could technically leave and the band continue on.

But yea, this is their best lineup. If any of them left I'd expect a significant decline.

Back