Maiden continuing without Nicko - right or wrong?

I love Nicko and think he and Steve form a fantastic rythmic section, but I would'nt like Maiden to quit because he'd want to retire. I think MrKnicker is right : there are a lot of great drummers, and some have trained themselves listening to him, so he could be replaced (just think about Portnoy : DT have been able to replace him, while he had a huge importance in the band). The question is, would Harry be ready to play with someone else. He did it in British Lion, and they were tight playing live, but I don't think they developped that kind of alchemy.
As for the McBrain/Pearts stuff, I am much more a Maiden fan than Rush's, but to me there is no point denying Pearts superiority : the man is just incredible.

As much as I love Nicko, I would sacrifice him if it meant we could get one or two more albums, or 2-3 more tours (for example), from the rest of the band.

I also say this because, personally, I believe that a drummer is one of the easiest jobs to replace in a band. There are thousands of drummers out there that could probably play and sound exactly like Nicko, whereas it can be hard to replicate someone's guitar sound or vocals.

So if we could get another decade or so from the rest of the band by having Nicko retire? I would be all for it.

I really like Nicko .. but yeah .. outside of drummers, no one really notices the drummer unless they fuck up. Nicko is/has been really good at what he does, but he is the guy most easily replaced in the band.

I think if one goes the rest will call it a day. They all have plenty of other interests/side projects/bands and probably don't need the hassle of trying to find someone that will fit in with the sound and also the demographic of the band.

I'm of the opinion that, at this point, should anyone else leave the band, the band should call it quits. Nicko is absolutely irreplaceable to me. I can't think of any other drummer that can do justice to his style of busy handwork and single-footed wizardry.

I agree. I'd rather see them calling it a day than changing any band member at theis point in their career.

I really like Nicko .. but yeah .. outside of drummers, no one really notices the drummer unless they fuck up. Nicko is/has been really good at what he does, but he is the guy most easily replaced in the band.

Disagree. There are no easy replacements.
You may not focus on Nicko during their performances, but if someone replaced him, you wouldn't miss that.

And I'm perplexed by levels of modesty on this topic. Michael Henry McBrain is one of the best drummers in human history. Everyone has their own favourite lists, but no-one sane would argue his position in first-class drummers club. Besides, he ain't going anywhere. If performances start being too tiresome, they'll minimize number of tour dates. Or doing a one or two paused set, like Floyd did in 1970s. Or just ditch out songs they can't play any more. You wouldn't expect them to play Genghis Khan at full speed, do you? They're old men.

If the choice is stop playing completely without Nicko or continue with someone else, then I'd choose number two.

By the way, he has made quite a few glaring mistakes at Rock In Rio this year during the set, he's getting old, that's for sure. Of course, he was never known as the most precise drummer, timing-wise.

I would choose more music, obviously. Remember, Maiden had a pretty damn good drummer, and recorded their best-known album, before Nicko joined. Right or wrong has nothing to do with it -- if Steve wants to continue working with Bruce, Davey and H, he will. If not, he won't. One of the biggest issues about losing Nicko is that I think he is one of the "buffers" between Bruce and Steve, as he gets along with both of them and helps keep things loose and friendly. Losing his personality might be a bigger threat to the band's future than losing his drumming ability.

One of the biggest issues about losing Nicko is that I think he is one of the "buffers" between Bruce and Steve, as he gets along with both of them and helps keep things loose and friendly. Losing his personality might be a bigger threat to the band's future than losing his drumming ability.
Cornfed makes a pretty decent point here, if true.
If performances start being too tiresome, they'll minimize number of tour dates. Or doing a one or two paused set, like Floyd did in 1970s. Or just ditch out songs they can't play any more. You wouldn't expect them to play Genghis Khan at full speed, do you? They're old men.
And, I think Zare makes an even better point: if Nicko is no longer capable of touring/playing at current levels, then the choice is not simply: continue without him, or all call it a day. This is a false choice. They can change sets & touring to accommodate him.

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm talking about the difficult question of whether Maiden should continue with or without Where Eagles Dare...

I believe that a drummer is one of the easiest jobs to replace in a band. There are thousands of drummers out there that could probably play and sound exactly like Nicko.
Hm, I wouldn't be too sure about that. Nicko has quite an individual style and an unmatched single bass drum velocity. His touch on the ride I find quite unique about him as well. Drummers are musicians, and feel and technique and all those other aspects are personal touches just as with players of other instruments.

I find it hard to answer the main question. I am kind of torn in between.

Yes I do.

edit: I also saw/read in a recent interview that Nicko wants to keep playing shows every year to stay fit (or in form, don't remember) so who knows Maiden is already adapting as we speak.

Back