Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My prof gave me something interesting to think about yesterday. The Greek alphabet has been heavily modified to record a variety of languages. Obviously, the Cyrillic script is the most notorious example, but Coptic is also an enhancement of Greek, and even the Bactrians added a completely new letter to it. The Latin alphabet on the other hand was only ever enhanced by two letters of Greek origin (K and Y), both still in Roman times. Ever since, it remained the same except for the addition of diacritics in some languages, despite being even more defective than Greek.

Yep, I'm off work, so it is a good Friday.

And I got a copy of the Live After Death DVD for £2 in a charity shop.

Last edited:
<LooseCannon> such cheese
<LooseCannon> much pander
<LooseCannon> many Doro
<LooseCannon> wow

So, I am in Windsor, CA today. Looking for a place for lunch I saw a sign that said "We Love Animals, Because they are tasty" ... lunch mission accomplished

Tonight's playlist:

B L A Z E - Ghost in the Machine
Dio - Egypt (The Chains Are On)
Amon Amarth - The Hero
Judas Priest - One Shot at Glory
Sabaton - Far from the Fame
Black Sabbath - War Pigs (300 Version)
Holy Martyr - The Lion of Sparta
Gloryhammer - The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee
Doomsword - In the Battlefield
Manowar - Number 1
Wizard - March of the Einheriers
Majesty - Metal to the Metalheads
Doro - We Are the Metalheads
Cryonic Temple - Eternal Flames of Metal
HammerFall - Hearts on Fire
Angra - Carry On
Battle Beast - Enter the Metal World
Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name
Kiss - God Gave Rock And Roll To You II
Manowar - An American Trilogy
Powerwolf - Resurrection by Erection
Alestorm - Nancy the Tavern Wench
Sabaton - Carolus Rex
Turisas - Rasputin
Korpiklaani - Happy Little Boozer
Ten Masked Men - I'm Blue
Helix - Rock You
Death Metal Friday
Angra - Wuthering Heights
Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name

The Minister of Communication in Turkey said this today:

"If the internet doesn't follow the law, we'll drop www and create something like ttt"

The Minister of Communication, mind you.

Well if a country has laws, they are the top authority. If the internet doesn't follow it, then I could understand it not being allowed in that country, even if the laws are stupid they are still the law. It's likely easier to just cut off all internet access to a country than it is to go with some mass censoring like China.

I think you missed the point, CI. "We'll drop www and create something like ttt". That's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, you don't need "www" to connect to internet. The fact that this is Minister of Communication lacking this basic knowledge is disturbing.

I think you missed the point, CI. "We'll drop www and create something like ttt". That's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, you don't need "www" to connect to internet. The fact that this is Minister of Communication lacking this basic knowledge is disturbing.

Perhaps, but it's also possible he was not being literal. When addressing a nation you can't assume that everyone knows how it all works, the amount of dumb tech questions family members give alone should show that, this may have been just him trying to get the message across in a simple manner that would make people understand even if it had nothing to do with what was actually required.

www stands for World Wide Web after all, so to many less knowledgeable people they could just assume he means "get rid of a web connection to the rest of the world". For all we know he may be very knowledgeable on the subject and just trying to state it in a way the majority could understand, and you're jumping to conclusions due to existing dislike of the situation.

The nap I just took was so needed. A bit of waking up early and doing tough physical work in the countryside is enough to make me veeeery tired.

In other news: SPRING! It's here. Sure, we've had our sun and birdsong before but yesterday, when I went outside, I felt the actual warmth and smell of spring air.

Back