Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Brave New World

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Dance Of Death

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • A Matter Of Life And Death

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
I gotta go with The X-Factor here. "Sign of the Cross" is a good song, and "Lord of the Flies" is decent enough. But the rest I could do without. "Fortunes of War" might be the worst Iron Maiden song ever in my opinion. Yuck.

Really? I really like "Fortunes of War", it's in my top 3 from The X Factor. The lyrics are great, there are some great melody lines and the guitar solos are good. The song is a bit repetitive, but so are many great Maiden songs - like The Evil That Men Do, Fear of the Dark, No More Lies, The Clansman ...

But of course, if one only likes the "vintage" Maiden sound, The X Factor will not strike home. It is very different from 80's Maiden in many aspects.

Eddies Wingman said:
Really? I really like "Fortunes of War", it's in my top 3 from The X Factor. The lyrics are great, there are some great melody lines and the guitar solos are good. The song is a bit repetitive, but so are many great Maiden songs - like The Evil That Men Do, Fear of the Dark, No More Lies, The Clansman ...

But of course, if one only likes the "vintage" Maiden sound, The X Factor will not strike home. It is very different from 80's Maiden in many aspects.

Fortunes of War is one of the few songs that when I'm listening to Maiden and it comes on, I just skip alltogether. And it's not I just like vintage Maiden, I thought Virtual XI was good, hell "Como Estais Amigos" and "The Clansman" are one of my top 10 favorite songs.

Of course, you get into alot of subjectivity when you start discussing favorites and the like. To each his own and all that, but man I just don't like that song.

Looks like we have a clear winner.

Also, according to this poll, the two Bruce albums from the 90's (23 votes) are less impopular than the Blaze albums (34 votes).

Administrators,

i demand names, street addresses and ID numbers of five people that voted for Somewhere In Time

Dance of Death for me.

In my book, It was a backward step from Brave New World in terms of complexity, experimentation and musical quality.

Easy: No prayer...

Containing only one good song - Run silent run deep, but many average.
Second worst is Fear two great songs - Fear of the dark, Afraid to shoot strangers
For compare Virtual XI contains 4 great songs: Clansman, The educated fool, Como estais amigos, Futureal.

I cant really judge X Factor or Virtual XI as I dont have either album and out of every song on both the albums ive only heard The Clansman and Sign of the Cross. They were great songs although Bruce was on vocals and what song isnt great with Bruce ya know? :p Blaze could have ruined both songs as far as I know.. I know Blazes voice and I dislike it.

But probably my least favorite album out of the Paul and Bruce days would be Fear of the Dark.. TOO many filler tracks in my opinion.. Weekend Warrior, while it is a decent song musical wise the lyrics just tear it apart. The Apparition, Judas Be My Guide, and The Fugitive are also songs which I never really got into.

On another note Be Quick or Be Dead, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, and most of all Fear of the Dark are great! :) Fear of the Dark is amazing live as most of you probably know !

No Prayer for the Dying.

The songs that I like from this album is Tailgunner and Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter.

I'm going with VXI.
Most of the songs could be cut in half, because the other hald is just a part of the song again and again and again...
after that is no prayer. only mother russia is a great song, and there are maybe 3 other songs that are not bad.

Can't believe some people voted for SSoaSS and Powerslave though.

Edit:
I listened to NPFTD on my way home from gym, i have a new appriciation for it.
It's actually a great album! not too sophisticated, and the vocals arent great, but the music is still good and some songs are even great.

Voted for NPFTD, it's just too weak, there isn't one stand-out song. Sure, Holy Smoke, Run Silent and Bring Your Daughter are pretty decent songs, but they aren't that special. The production is sub-par and I hate Dicikinson's singing style on that album.

As per other unpopular albums in the poll, VXI at least has the brilliant Futureal (one of Maiden's best album openers) and The Clansman which is a decent epic. TXF has the first three songs plus Look For the Truth and Edge of Darkness, FOTD has several classic tracks.

I went for No Prayer, the title track is awesome but the rest are just mediocre. I don't have Virtual XI or BNW yet though

The worst one I've heard was Fear of the Dark.
I must admit I haven't heard NPFTD or VXI enough to really have a valid opinion about it.
Fear of the Dark just sounds like when they made it, they ran out of inspiration at certain points.

Eddies Wingman said:

The lyrics and repetition (of Fortunes of War) are some of the worst on that album and I feel the repetition is probably the worse example in Maiden period.  The solos are nice, but the song should have been way shorter.  The intro is not captivating.  Since The Aftermath is the same song done much better, Fortunes of War is one of the weakest tracks on the album and Maiden discography.
I voted for No Prayer... for the weakest album.  It has many of the weakest songs in the Maiden discography.

Genghis Khan said:
The intro is not captivating.  Since The Aftermath is the same song done much better, Fortunes of War is one of the weakest tracks on the album and Maiden discography.

I beg to differ, strongly. The intro of FOW is spellbinding and contains excellent singing by Blaze. You really feel how he is into those particular lyrics.

My favourite moment in The Aftermath is when Blaze starts sing "After the War..." etc.
All before that I find the more boring part of the song:
* Dull vocal melody in the couplets
* Blaze sings offkey in this line: "Should we be fighting at all" (ouch! that hurts!)

And the solo in The Aftermath is also full of repetitions, in other words, not one of Janick best ones.

I voted for X Factor here before i really got into that record. It took me a while...

I'd now like to change my vote for Fear Of The Dark. It has Afraid To Shoot Strangers and Judas Be My Guide as excellent ones,couple more as OK ones, rest is below standard. It's not coincidence that Maiden played less songs live from this record than any other record.

Regarding Fortunes Of War, i like the intro and the parts before the gallop are ok, but after that, goes a bit repetitive and stretched.
Regarding Aftermath, the whole song is a blast.

Back