Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Brave New World

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Dance Of Death

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • A Matter Of Life And Death

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters
I don't make lists. I don't know if it's my 10th, 15th, 28th or 38th favourite song. Plus, that thread you linked to is two years old... opinions can change in such a time frame.

All I can say is that I love this song, and so it's one of my favourites. I don't have a single favourite song from the album, because the songs are all brilliant.

Seriously mate, I can't answer either of those questions.

I just can't help it, I'm just not much of a fan of Blaze.  Other than Sign of the Cross and 2am, I can't get into The X Factor that much.

A Matter Of Life And Death

It has 4 classics - Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, Different World and Out Of The Shadows. Amazing lyrical content, strong lines on those lyrics, but musically it's minimalist, repetitive, badly arranged, it sounds like a demo made in a state of the art studio by the best producer. The band were lazy by not pushing themselves to be challenged, musically (off 10 songs, 6 has the same harmony - E,G,C,D or E,C,D,A). For The Greater Good Of God is, by far, the worst Maiden song. It never happened before!!! But I can't listen to this album more than 3 or 4 times in a year. Playing it live was a really bad move. On the 2007 leg of the tour, things were better by reducing half of it from the set, but it could've been better to replace FTGGOG by Out Of The Shadows. I give it 5,5 out of 10 (4 for the four classics and the other 1,5 for the lyrics and some great parts in other songs lost in the middle of badly arranged ideas).

Jeffmetal said:
A Matter Of Life And Death

It has 4 classics - Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, Different World and Out Of The Shadows. Amazing lyrical content, strong lines on those lyrics, but musically it's minimalist, repetitive, badly arranged, it sounds like a demo made in a state of the art studio by the best producer. The band were lazy by not pushing themselves to be challenged, musically (off 10 songs, 6 has the same harmony - E,G,C,D or E,C,D,A). For The Greater Good Of God is, by far, the worst Maiden song. It never happened before!!! But I can't listen to this album more than 3 or 4 times in a year. Playing it live was a really bad move. On the 2007 leg of the tour, things were better by reducing half of it from the set, but it could've been better to replace FTGGOG by Out Of The Shadows. I give it 5 out of ten (4 for the 4 classics and the other 1 is for the lyrics and some great parts in other songs lost in the middle of badly arranged ideas).

FTGGOG is probably one of the best songs Maiden has ever written.
Yeah, there's repetition in the albums, but that shouldn't take away from the brilliance. It just makes a theme emerge, musically and lyrically. This is my third favourite Maiden album. Every single song is captivating. Different World is beautiful, These Colours is amazing, Brighter is classic, The Pilgrim is epic (even if it's short), The Longest Day is blinding (one of the best for sure), Out of the Shadows is a classic like you said, Reincarnation was mentioned, Lord of Light is musically spellbinding and The Legacy is just epic (in a different way from The Pilgrim).

Rant over.:)

Anyhow, I would vote . . . VXI. By a small margin. Every album delivered something new that I liked to the table. But the only three memorable things that I can think of at the moment from this album is The Clansman, Futureal and Como. I listen to it the least as well.

I almost voted No Prayer, but I think I like more songs off of there. Holy Smoke is epic. (I overuse that term, yes.) Fear of the Dark has the title track, BQoBD, AtSS and Childhood's End. I like Wasting Love as well.

Moonchild33 said:
FTGGOG is probably one of the best songs Maiden has ever written.
Yeah, there's repetition in the albums, but that shouldn't take away from the brilliance. It just makes a theme emerge, musically and lyrically. This is my third favourite Maiden album. Every single song is captivating. Different World is beautiful, These Colours is amazing, Brighter is classic, The Pilgrim is epic (even if it's short), The Longest Day is blinding (one of the best for sure), Out of the Shadows is a classic like you said, Reincarnation was mentioned, Lord of Light is musically spellbinding and The Legacy is just epic (in a different way from The Pilgrim).

Rant over.:)

Sorry, but to a fan put this album in the top 3 of the list is very dull. The album just plods along and people only rate it high because it has Bruce singing. The X Factor is a hell of an amazing piece of music, but people only diss it because it has Blaze. Bruce needed to sing 3 songs from the album to some Bruce robot slaves perceive the brilliance of the album (but then, there are people who don't like Iron Maiden and Killers, so go figure what these people have in their minds). Virtual XI is weak, but it has focus. The Angel And The Gambler is the prototype of the boredom that was shown on A Matter Of Life And Death. I can only pray the new album has nothing to do at all with this supbar, subproduced and badly arranged album.

AMOLAD is one of my new favorites as well. I can sense -some- repitition, and maybe they use some chord progressions in several songs, but the feel of each song is unique, and until i tried tto play some of them I didn't even notice. Maiden mostly use E minor, so the option arent that great in this stage of their career, but I think that everything that surrounds it make it sound unique.

Jeffmetal said:
Sorry, but to a fan put this album in the top 3 of the list is very dull. The album just plods along and people only rate it high because it has Bruce singing. The X Factor is a hell of an amazing piece of music, but people only diss it because it has Blaze. Bruce needed to sing 3 songs from the album to some Bruce robot slaves perceive the brilliance of the album (but then, there are people who don't like Iron Maiden and Killers, so go figure what these people have in their minds). Virtual XI is weak, but it has focus. The Angel And The Gambler is the prototype of the boredom that was shown on A Matter Of Life And Death. I can only pray the new album has nothing to do at all with this supbar, subproduced and badly arranged album.

Well, I respectfully disagree. Yes, I'm a big Bruce fan, but Bruce isn't what made the album great. To be honest, it was Adrian. I liked The X Factor, and I agree it was a great album, but it lacked something. That's the only reason it isn't in my top 5. You can argue lots of things about the album, but it is NOT badly arranged. I sense the repetition, but the songs are still each unique. For example, TLD is VERY repetitive, yet I would place this song in the top 10 best Maiden songs. The solos are magnificent, the lyrics are blinding, that intro. . .

But it's a matter of opinion I suppose, so I will let it go.

The Longest Day is long enough for take a real nice nap. And for the greater good of God, don't play For The Greater Good Of God ever again!

I'm sorry, but no one could save this album, neither Bruce and Nicko, which deliver great performances. Uniqueness doesn't mean awesomeness. It's time people learn that. I wonder how much praise AMOLAD would have if Blaze had recorded it.  ::)

Jeffmetal said:
The Longest Day is long enough for take a real nice nap. And for the greater good of God, don't play For The Greater Good Of God ever again!

I'm sorry, but no one could save this album, neither Bruce and Nicko, which deliver great performances. Uniqueness doesn't mean awesomeness. It's time people learn that.

Hard to let it go when you attack a song that I specifically call a top ten song. . . *bites tongue*

Virtual XI is probarbly my least favourite. Not that there aren't good songs on it, but I just haven't warmed to it as I have with X Factor. The two '90s-era Bruce records are also low on my list of favourites but at least they have a selection of good songs such as Fear, Mother Russia, Bring your Daughter, Run Silent Run Deep etc. The 90s were somewhat weak by Maiden standards but like most say, a weak Maiden decade is a great decade for a lot of bands :bigsmile:

Fear of the Dark. As much as I love the title track and the songs ATST, BQOBD, Childhood's End and JBMG, the rest are just fillers. Songs like Chains of Misery, Fear is the Key, The Fugitive, Weekend Warrior and The Apparition make me yawn. This album has almost all of my least favorite songs. But it doesn't mean I don't like the album, there's no such thing as a bad Maiden album.

It's VXI easily.
The album has some good moments, a lot mediocre stuff and unfortunately the worst Maiden song - the almost 10-minute waste of time called TAATG.The drums sound plastic and some parts are ridiculously simplified(DLTTEOAS instrumental section) as if it's not Nicko playing.The guitars sound strange too here and there (DLTTEOAS intro???).Perhaps the album would be better if it had a better production.But I don't think that either that or Blaze is the problem here.It's the quality of the songs that isn't as good.

When its competitors have songs like NPFTD,MR,BQOBD,ATSS,FOTD,SOTC and much more it comes naturally that VXI is the least favourite one.

It's interesting that some people voted for SIT,SSOASS,IM,Killers and Powerslave.  :blink:

I apparently voted for Virtual XI but my actual least favorite album is Killers. The main problem is songwriting. Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Killers and Purgatory all are great. Genghis Khan and Ides of March are fine. The rest? Annoying or boring or, surprisingly  for an album consisting of such short songs, too repetitive. Drifter competes with Wildest Dreams and Don't Look Through The Eyes of the Stranger for worst Maiden song ever.

I know everyone says the production is better on Killers compared to IM, but the IM production suits IM and probably would've suited Killers too. Afterall, most of the songs are written pre-IM. You can tell they're left overs.

^I really like Drifter.
I think this is the first time someone says something about Maiden's worst that I son't agree with.
It's... refreshing.

Jonszat said:
I apparently voted for Virtual XI but my actual least favorite album is Killers. The main problem is songwriting. Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Killers and Purgatory all are great. Genghis Khan and Ides of March are fine. The rest?

The "rest" consists out of 4 songs (not counting Twilight Zone which wasn't on the original European release).
Is that so much to make it the worst?

Back