Language topic

aQ81qod_460s_v1.jpg

Well, even das Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz is only 67 characters (including the space) :p

Language has never been my strongest area of English.
Its very mindopening to see this talked about in such detail on a Iron Maiden forum --relates to Harry and specially bruce who is a master with words.

Is the study actually claiming it will be lost from English per se in this time frame, or just in London?

If today's MLE became standardised in its own right and then became the standard/prestige accent in London, it would gradually be more widely used across England - but not necessarily wipe out the 'th' sounds in other regions, not that quickly - and particularly not in other English-speaking countries that don't revolve around London. I'm not convinced that social barriers have been anywhere near broken down enough yet for a newly-forming regional accent of this type to become the polite London one.

Plus the Telegraph is one of those papers that loves to raise a panic about traditional British culture being eroded by foreigners. ;)

I do agree to some extent with the pattern of more localised accent and language variation morphing into those of large urban centres, though. I've seen that in Yorkshire, with older-style local accents and expressions being used by fewer younger people, who seem to have moved more to Leeds or Sheffield accents. Those are currently strong regional accents in their own right, though, they differ a lot from standard type English, and even more so from regional London accents. People can use standard pronunciation to make themselves understood, but they don't use it all the time.

I do agree to some extent with the pattern of more localised accent and language variation morphing into those of large urban centres, though. I've seen that in Yorkshire, with older-style local accents and expressions being used by fewer younger people, who seem to have moved more to Leeds or Sheffield accents. Those are currently strong regional accents in their own right, though, they differ a lot from standard type English, and even more so from regional London accents. People can use standard pronunciation to make themselves understood, but they don't use it all the time.
We have that phenomenon in Norway as well. Local dialects converge towards the dialect spoken in the regional centres (e.g. in Middle Norway they converge towards how they speak in Trondheim) and some words and forms are being used less and less.

Random, but does anyone else feel like the American way of saying France - /fræns/ - really takes all the power away from its intonation? The British way of saying it /'frɑ:ns/sounds really strong. The former makes them sound like a weak nation, the latter does the opposite.

There's a war joke there, I know, I'll refrain from doing it.

Random, but does anyone else feel like the American way of saying France - /fræns/ - really takes all the power away from its intonation? The British way of saying it /'frɑ:ns/sounds really strong. The former makes them sound like a weak nation, the latter does the opposite.

There's a war joke there, I know, I'll refrain from doing it.
So where does Bruce stand in the final line of "Empire of the Clouds" then?

Back