Judas Priest

I like the little Turbo thingies, chorus is simple but it works very well! This is Priest at their very best!
The twin guitars in the break before the solo´s are amazing and then the solo´s! Holy hell this is great!

The song is very good, catchy and with different and interesting parts. The production is like for Firepower, only the intro has a different vibe.

I really like the main riff of the song, the melodic verses (like for Traitors Gate from the previous album), the bridge with the double drumming and Rob's screamy vocals before the solos (the Maiden-esque melody before them too; that's the intro melody but a bit different), the solos are strong (alternating between melodic and wild ones is always good; they remind me a bit of some old ones, the harmony too), the double harmony is just perfect after them and Richie's outro solo and Rob's scream are great to end the song. The intro strangely fits the song. As a single, it's one of their strongest.

I expected the chorus to be simple and I'm not a fan of it, but I guess it needed to be urgent. The second repeat of the chorus in the outro is with more lyrics and is better. The drumming is also different. I don't like the theme of the song and expected something with a darker sound, which I'm glad it's not with tbh.

Overall, it sounds like classic Priest (indeed Firepower/Painkiller vibe). Rob sounds great. Richie brings that melodic vibe with his riffs, solos (4 solos - 2/3 from him, 1 from Glenn and maybe 1 from Andy?) and the two different harmonies. The melodies (guitar and vocal) are everything for the song. I'm really happy that the song has so many different parts.

-> It seems to be the album opener.

Last edited:
Pretty solid stuff, but like everything since Nostradamus basically just a rehash of ideas from the Painkiller album. I reckon this album will end up like Firepower, in that it will be an enjoyable listen for about a month, but I'll probably never go back to it because why bother when you can just go direct to the source (Painkiller)

I'll reiterate what many are saying. Painkiller 2.0 basically. And I'm 90% positive they're using the exact same guitar tone from that album.

Good stuff though if very derivative.

Pretty solid stuff, but like everything since Nostradamus basically just a rehash of ideas from the Painkiller album. I reckon this album will end up like Firepower, in that it will be an enjoyable listen for about a month, but I'll probably never go back to it because why bother when you can just go direct to the source (Painkiller)
I'll reiterate what many are saying. Painkiller 2.0 basically. And I'm 90% positive they're using the exact same guitar tone from that album.

Good stuff though if very derivative.

My thoughts exactly!

I dunno man, its good enough! If we are in for some twists throughout the album like the spacey intro in the above song, its gonna be cool. Richie Faulkner said the album is supposed to be "progressive", not in the sense of prog metal/rock but the songwriting structure.

When I first heard KK's Priest, I thought the music is top-notch but nothing really outside the box (well, that's me) which you can actually call rehash of previous ideas. I wondered if Priest will go with the same formula but so far I feel, they are not.

Anyway, what I like about Panic Attack is first of all definitely the intro, the basic-structured riff which is followed by the main riff @ 00:55 mark. I really dig guitar licks which sound as if they are 'structured on the spot' (think main riff of Practice What You Preach by Testament).

Is it me, or some Rob's vocals reminds of Gamma Ray vocal style?
Me too.
Great intro, must be used as the opening song for shows in 2024!
I think they will open with it.
I'm sure the rest of the album will have different and even more interesting songs (I have a feeling the title track and the song with the winged warrior art will be one of them). Richie promised that. I think they chose the song that would be great for a first single from the album (no surprise, except the intro), like ''Lightning Strike'' from the previous album, but ''Panic Attack'' is (even) better (from the ROS singles too)... more long solos, more harmonies, plus an intro.

Priest can't escape their classic sound, but they manage to still sound fresh (like Maiden, especially with the latest album), which is the most important thing. Like Firepower, which contains some of my favorite songs of the band and some of their best imo. They are the two bands that never fail to deliver. Some riffs, licks, melodies or style may sound alike, but that's inevitable.

The song reminds me of ''Leather Rebel'' but with that extra touch (Richie's melodic ideas/approach) that makes it a perfect metal single. It really has everything for that. Idk about the guitar tone from Painkiller. The powerful production is great for me.

I liked the song after first listen and will certainly give it more.

After seeing some comments on other social media I find it interesting that some will criticize Priest for new material sounding like old and some will criticize Maiden for new material that doesn't sound like their old.

It's like a no win situation with some people.

After seeing some comments on other social media I find it interesting that some will criticize Priest for new material sounding like old and some will criticize Maiden for new material that doesn't sound like their old.
People often want the thing they think they aren't getting. And new music is competing with older music that has all kinds of emotional associations with their personal history, so it's not a fair fight.

For a band to avoid broad complaints, they have to thread the needle almost perfectly, doing some new things with the new songs while still having a very familiar musical base, and not looking like they're pandering to trends with the new things they add in. But if the new material kicks ass, people will notice.

People often want the thing they think they aren't getting. And new music is competing with older music that has all kinds of emotional associations with their personal history, so it's not a fair fight.

For a band to avoid broad complaints, they have to thread the needle almost perfectly, doing some new things with the new songs while still having a very familiar musical base, and not looking like they're pandering to trends with the new things they add in. But if the new material kicks ass, people will notice.
People want the same, but different.

As most others are saying: good song. It's not earth-shattering, but it's a solid first single, it's incredibly metallic and incredibly Priest. Halford sounds fucking fantastic. The chorus is fine. It does what it is meant to do. This song will slay at a gig.
The intro strangely fits the song.
That's because it's a layered, reverb'd out version of the harmonized, pre-solo riff!

According to Richie - this album will be more progressive than Firepower. Can't wait for final result.
I am really hoping it permeates all the songwriting, in clever manner and this intro is a great sign for it, as it the same 7/4 riff underneath Lerxst solo, on 'Tom Sawyer'.

'Panic Attack' kicks serious ass!!! \m/

The shredding is great, Ritchie is an incredible player. There's a lot of ingenuity in the instrumental section that I don't normally expect from Priest and I have to imagine that comes from Faulkner (and maybe Travis to some extent as well). Not much of a song around it though.

Back