Judas Priest

1st - if they are actually doing an album "over and over again" Painkiller would be a good choice.

2nd - KK and Glenn are not on strike, there are no scabs in the band. Richie is a better guitarist than KK anyway.

And 3rd - please pick an album other than Point of Entry to be inspired by. A couple good songs on it but otherwise one of their worst.

There's a lot of ingenuity in the instrumental section that I don't normally expect from Priest and I have to imagine that comes from Faulkner (and maybe Travis to some extent as well).
This is coming from Richie (he's great), but why you normally don't expect this from Priest. The albums after the Reunion with Rob (plus Painkiller) have ingenuity in some/most of the songs.

I agree with those, who says that Priest is stuck between the Hammer and the Anvil. To a degree it's true. For a inspiration I would like Stained Class, British Steel and SFV or DOTF.

Really enjoyed the song. As others have said it's reminiscent of other modern Priest albums but I enjoyed those too. Looking forward to the album.

Musically, definitely a safe pick.
I wouldn't say that. The (longer!) Turbo-esque intro is a surprise, the melodic double vocals are not that common in their discography (the song would be much weaker without them. Maiden should do such double vocals more often), two different harmonies in one song, solo in the outro and Rob's screamy vocals with more lyrics have been back since a while. And it still sounds like classic Priest. They've always been a ''riff-based'' band with dual solos battle.

I also don't think Priest are stuck. The songs sound fresh imo. There will be callbacks to past albums, but with such a rich (in terms of styles) career, it's understandable. And it's not like they've never released 2 (or 3) albums in a row that have a similar style.

The last time they tried to really mix things up was on Nostradamus, and people are still bitching about that album. I think it's a great record, but I would still take a Painkiller-inspired album over it any day of the week.

I also don't think Priest are stuck. The songs sound fresh imo. There will be callbacks to past albums, but with such a rich (in terms of styles) career, it's understandable. And it's not like they've never released 2 (or 3) albums in a row that have a similar style.

I did not meant it in the worst way. Painkiller is their Holy Grail. Album Savior. It's undeniable that this album is used by them as a template. Go to album. As a band they pole dance around this album most often. Firepower is prime example. And now, new single certainly has Painkiller vibe. Guitar sound, playing style, solos. Even Rob's vocal delivery suits Painkiller album.

Oh, how I wish For soothing rain Maiden would do this for one album. To dance around Powerslave pole. Including production style :D

Last edited:
It is quite possible that the new album will be diverse. Firepower was also quite varied, but you certainly could say it's in the vein of Painkiller. We'll see.

It is quite possible that the new album will be diverse. Firepower was also quite varied, but you certainly could say it's in the vein of Painkiller. We'll see.
I don't think I'd say that. Ritchie's leads are much different to most of the stuff on Firepower. That's what makes Firepower really good, was how it was still obviously a Judas Priest album, but with re-invigorating, younger guitars. And it's why Redeemer of Souls failed, since it was very much an attempt to make a "by the numbers" album.

And it's why Redeemer of Souls failed, since it was very much an attempt to make a "by the numbers" album.
That, and demo level production. There is a small number killer songs on there, while at least 1/3 of the tracks aren’t album worthy material (yet the bonus track Tears of Blood was one of the album highlights).

Last edited:
Well, as much as Led Zeppelin reminds me of Greta Van Fleet! ;)
But don't you agree that those parts are very Gamma Rayish? Where he pronounces the words longer and wavier. (don't know how to describe it properly)

...On the wings of a lethal icon, bird of prey... ...And the scales of justice tip in disarray... ...The clock is ticking down to doomsday hour... ...And there's no way left to tell what's right from wrong... ...And force your mind amidst the angry throng...

Last edited:
Back