Iced Earth

Funnily enough, just today I've been checking out what's the status of IE at the moment...

...and what in the flying fuck is A Narrative Soundscape? I don't even know what's ghastlier, the idea or the execution.

3.5 to 4 years in prison and a fine of anywhere from $15K to $150K
Iced Earth Greek reunion tour with Barlow in 2028, can't wait.

Barlow sounded awesome for a 52-year-old who stopped touring in 2010, he's gonna be awesome in 2028 too. Or at least I wouldn't be able to tell due to a thousand Greeks singing every word and over every melody :p

Barlow sounded awesome for a 52-year-old who stopped touring in 2010, he's gonna be awesome in 2028 too. Or at least I wouldn't be able to tell due to a thousand Greeks singing every word and over every melody :p
As long as those Greek cunts don't start lighting up flares, that is!

As long as those Greek cunts don't start lighting up flares, that is!
Greek cunts were a great audience, to be honest. Although, some guy approached me and asked me where I came from, then proceeded to spoil the setlist for me by saying how many Iced Earth songs they were playing, and some other guy in front of me was constantly looking at the setlist. But apart from that, they were super energetic which I really like. Thinking of going to Greece to see Maiden next year, provided Maiden tours there next year and there are no dates in Serbia. Would like to be in the audience for that one song :p

Thinking of going to Greece to see Maiden next year, provided Maiden tours there next year and there are no dates in Serbia. Would like to be in the audience for that one song :p

I don't think they are going to play ATG next year. And I don't know how people there are feeling about Maiden. I feel hurt to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I want to see them ever again. Last year the highlight was Zare not them obviously, I was happy to see him so I guess if it's to meet some cool people again, maybe it's worthy to try.

I always thought the affection Greeks had to Iced Earth is due to affection Greeks had to Maiden. Iced Earth filled Maiden left in 90s. This is how I experienced it at least.

That is an interesting take. At the time I felt that Gamma Ray or Stratovarius were filling that gap, not Iced Earth. The latter were not that popular elsewhere in Europe!

That is an interesting take. At the time I felt that Gamma Ray or Stratovarius were filling that gap, not Iced Earth. The latter were not that popular elsewhere in Europe!
I assume all three of them were quite big in Southern Europe at the time. I wish I had been around then...

Greece has a rather passionate and loyal fan base, probably due to the fact that not every band visits that area while touring.
The moment Iced Earth released Alive In Athens, they cemented themselves as a metal legend in Greece, ensuring their popularity for a long time. How they got this popular before that is certainly something that can be discussed, but I don't think we'll find a definitive answer. Probably just a combination of releasing good music and getting lucky.

Jon completely poisoned Iced Earth for me, but Alive In Athens still remains the absolute gold standard for live albums in my eyes.

Here's what they played.
Two songs in there that, to my knowledge, Iced Earth never played live. I know Jon disliked one of them, and he probably thought the other was too mid-tempo. It's cool because I always thought both were underrated.

I don't think they are going to play ATG next year. And I don't know how people there are feeling about Maiden. I feel hurt to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I want to see them ever again. Last year the highlight was Zare not them obviously, I was happy to see him so I guess if it's to meet some cool people again, maybe it's worthy to try.
Are people really that wound up about the Greek Cunt thing? It's not like he was insulting Greeks in general, just the cunt with the flare.

Anyway, found 2 videos from the show. If you know me, you can see me in the 2nd row right in front of Barlow :D

Are people really that wound up about the Greek Cunt thing? It's not like he was insulting Greeks in general, just the cunt with the flare.

Imagine playing in Tel Aviv and saying Israeli /Jew cunt. Or Dublin and saying Irish cunt. Go tell them he was not insulting them in general when they burn the stage down and they (and the whole world) cancel Maiden to the infinity.

I don’t know how’s the feeling there, a few people I know were upset, not sure if up to the point of loosing interest. I remember the stadium was not the same after that, like something very uncomfortable had happened like if somebody said something very wrong on the table (I was unaware of the slur, I was told what’s been said after the concert)
But it’s not only that, is that plus playing ATG and not coming to Greece, plus playing with smoke on stage just before ATG, feels like mega trolling.

EDIT: In my case it was also that I hadn't been in Greece for 3 years due to Covid and I only had seen Maiden once in 14 years due to living in Asia.
So it was very special moment and some members of my family not particularly into Maiden were there, Zare & his brother were there, I moved mountains in my company and job to be able to be there and so that slur hurt even more in this perspective.

Last edited:
Greece has a rather passionate and loyal fan base, probably due to the fact that not every band visits that area while touring.
The moment Iced Earth released Alive In Athens, they cemented themselves as a metal legend in Greece, ensuring their popularity for a long time. How they got this popular before that is certainly something that can be discussed, but I don't think we'll find a definitive answer. Probably just a combination of releasing good music and getting lucky.

I remember when Iced Earth was released and reading the review on Metal Hammer. The journalist was a Maiden devoted and hailed the album as something.
He declared it as the album of the year (later he gave the title to the Black Album).

I bought the album and liked it a lot. Then time passed, Bruce left Maiden and I wasn’t into metal so much but I remembered the popularity of Iced Earth’s Melancholy in Greece and listening people talking of the “new” passionate singer.
Now Something Wicked is my best Earth album together with Horror Show.

I think I remember seeing the posters of what it turned to be the Live in Athens gig, it was very close to where I was living.

Maybe he wants to delay it until Trump wins the elections, in the hope he'll get a pardon. Can that be done?

Maybe he wants to delay it until Trump wins the elections, in the hope he'll get a pardon. Can that be done?
It can be done but based on the article it sounds like they think the law was used improperly against him and some other Jan 6 defendants.

I believe that's going to be the next avenue they'll try if the court case doesn't yield the results they want.

Back