1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iced Earth

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Forostar, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

To start this topic, news about the upcoming releases:

ICED EARTH: Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part I' Release Dates Announced - July 2, 2007 

SPV has set the following release dates for ICED EARTH's new studio album, "Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part I":

Germany: September 7
    Rest of Europe: September 10
    North America: September 11

[​IMG]

"Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part 1" expands the "Something Wicked" storyline first introduced in the trilogy of the same name appearing on the 1998 release, "Something Wicked This way Comes". "Framing Armageddon" will be followed in February/March 2008 by the band's ninth full-length studio release, tentatively titled "Revelation Abomination - Something Wicked Part 2" , continuing where "Framing Armageddon" leaves off.

"Framing Armageddon - Something Wicked Part 1" projected track listing:

01. Overture
    02. Something Wicked (Part 1)
    03. Invasion
    04. Man's Motivation
    05. The Setian Massacre
    06. A Charge to Keep
    07. Reflections
    08. Ten Thousand Strong
    09. Execution
    10. Order of the Rose
    11. The Clouding
    12. Infiltrate and Assimilate
    13. Retribution Through the Ages
    14. Something Wicked (Part 2)
    15. The Domino Decree
    16. Framing Armageddon
    17. When Stars Collide (Born is He)
    18. The Awakening

"Revelation Abomination - Something Wicked Part 2" projected track listing:

01. The Sacred Flames
    02. Behold the Wicked Child
    03. Minions of the Watch
    04. A Gift or a Curse
    05. I Walk Among You
    06. Harbinger of Fate
    07. Ancient Rage of the High Priest
    08. A Gathering Threat / Time Marches On
    09. Sacrificial Kingdoms
    10. Something Wicked (Part 3)
    11. Divide Devour
    12. Conspiracy / Pilgrimage In Guile
    13. Come What May

ICED EARTH will support HEAVEN AND HELL on their U.K. tour in November.

2. Raven

Raven Ancient Mariner

From the number of songs on each album, I get the feeling that it's going to descend into Gods of War territory...namely, a ridiculous number of pointless 'interludes' and spoken bits.  Still, we'll see...perhaps Schaffer can actually impress me this time, and perhaps Owens won't irritate me.

3. Yax

Yax Ancient Mariner

Did I tell you they played "Pure Evil" at Sweden Rock? It really suits Ripper's voice, as you thought it would.

4. Powergirl81

Powergirl81 Trooper

Forgive me for interrupting and not knowing anything about Iced Earth, but are you talking about Ripper Owens? Ex-Judas Priest?

5. Yax

Yax Ancient Mariner

Yep. He joined them right after getting sacked from Priest.

6. Powergirl81

Powergirl81 Trooper

OK...thanx  :ok:

I remember seeing a special like...I don't know...8 or 9 years ago on either MTV or VH1 about Ripper Owens joining Priest...anyone know what I'm talking about? He said it was a dream come true for him cuz Priest was his fave band or something...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ripper was singing in a Judas Priest tribute band at that time. Somebody gave the band a video tape in the mid-nineties, and the chaps decided to ring him up.

8. Powergirl81

Powergirl81 Trooper

Ahh...that's it. I remember that. I knew it was a while ago

9. Raven

Raven Ancient Mariner

Well, it was pointed out to me by other people.  But any song with more high-end vocals will suit Ripper's voice, as he can hit the high notes.  He just can't pull off the emotional stuff very well, IMO, which is where this album is going to fall down, I think, since the story is very much based on the kind of concrete, emotional vocals that Barlow used on the original 'Something Wicked' trilogy.  As I said, though, I'll remain open about the album.  I'm not going to buy it, but I'll give it a listen and see what I think.

10. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

...and then you'll buy it, wanna bet? :p

Here Iced Earth's setlist, 6 days ago in Greece:

Burning Times
    Declaration Day
    Violate
    Vengeance Is Mine
    Pure Evil
    The Reckoning
    The Hunter
    Ten Thousand Strong
    Jack
    My Own Savior
    Stormrider
    Prophecy
    Birth Of The Wicked
    The Coming Curse

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bleh. Not the best setlist I can imagine...

12. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Perhaps, witnessing an IE-show would be so impressive that the setlist is of minor importance, like with Iron Maiden? At least I truly hope that setlists on internet do not scare away people from seeing a band. To feel the rush from a live gig really gives so much more than a setlist only. Just my 2 cents of course.

Still it's cool to talk about setlists.

What would be yours (trying to match the same time-length of course)?

I'd go for:

Angels Holocaust
    Stormrider
    The Path I Choose
    Declaration Day
    Violate
    Vengeance Is Mine
    Pure Evil
    The Hunter
    Ten Thousand Strong
    Travel in Stygian
    Dante's Inferno
    Iced Earth

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'd love to see Iced Earth no matter what. I just haven't had the chance so far, and I doubt I'll be able to afford Wacken this year. This setlist certainly wouldn't scare me away, Iced Earth remains Iced Earth.

A cool setlist would probably be:

Declaration Day
    Angels Holocaust
    Stormrider
    Burnt Offerings
    Disciples Of The Lie
    I Died For You
    Last December
    Watching Over Me
    Scarred
    Slave To The Dark
    A Question Of Heaven
    Dracula
    Iced Earth

You see, one of the reasons why I love Iced Earth is because they put out a live album that covers nearly their entire back catalogue, so we can evaluate how most songs work live.

14. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

"Last December" rules, just like some more track of Burnt Offerings. Unfortunately Schaffer does not agree with us. I've only seen negative talk by him about that era. The only live song I've ever seen was "Brainwashed" with its excellent guitar riffs, at the Horror Show tour.

15. ______no5

______no5 The Angel Of The Odd

you lucky.... did they play Transylvania then ???

16. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Yep! I saw them twice that tour, which was the last tour with Matt Barlow on vocals. It was a huge set, divided in three (with different decors) eras.

18-01-2002
    First gig, Antwerp: I'll never forget the moment when Jon Schaffer looked straight ahead in my face, while doing his speech in "Damien". At the end of the gig I catched a Richard Christy drumstick, damaging my glasses in the effort since my arms were not the only ones that moved. :)

19-01-2002
    One day later in Tilburg (excellent venue by the way) I stood further in the mid, having a good overview (yep the glasses were repared! ;) ) and great sound! That was the gig when Schaffer made the comment on the Maiden shirts, before starting "Transylvania". ;)

Setlist:

Iced Earth
    Pure Evil
    Brainwashed
    Angels Holocaust
    Stormrider
    The Path I Choose
    Curse The Sky
    Travel In Stygian
    ---------------
    Burning Times
    Vengeance Is Mine
    Stand Alone
    The Hunter
    Watching Over Me
    Scarred
    Slave To The Dark
    A Question Of Heaven
    I Died For You
    Prophecy
    Birth Of the Wicked
    The Coming Curse
    --------------
    Wolf
    Damien
    Jekyll & Hide
    Transylvania
    Jack
    Frankenstein
    Dracula
    --------------
    My Own Savior

Apart from these two gigs I've only seen Iced Earth with their disappointing 2004 Graspop gig (backproblems Schaffer).

Setlist:

Declaration Day
    Burning times
    Vengeance is Mine
    Violate
    Melancholy
    Dracula
    My own savior
    Something wicked trilogy
    -------------
    Gettysburg 1863
    Iced Earth

I'm very eager to see a new Iced Earth show again!! :)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bloody hell! You f*cking lucky bastard, that has to be the best setlist ever to be played on this planet!

EDIT: The more I look at it, the crazier I get about it. Fuck, it's got the whole Suffering trilogy!

18. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I realize that! Those two gigs belong to the coolest gigs I've ever seen!  :)

I know what IE is capable of, especially live, and that's why I am really positive about this band.

The only complaint on that huge setlist, is that my favourite epic "Dante's Inferno" wasn't in it. :)
    But this is comparable with my love for ROTAM, hopefully it will return someday. ;)

edit: Perun, yes, even Scarred was played, and notable because Christy played both the drums & keyboards at the same time, during the calm mid-part!

Also "Curse The Sky" was played for the first time in many years, or maybe even the first time ever. I forgot Schaffer's introduction to that one.

19. Helphyre

Helphyre Trooper

New Iced Earth Album

I don't know if this really belongs on these polls, but I think it'll be good news for most people here. An advance copy of the new Iced Earth album, Framing Armageddon, is available online. If it's fine with the mods, I'll post the url in my next post. To be able to play the album, you need a program that converts torrent files.

Also, I'm glad to say that this album is, in my opinion, their best album since the Something Wicked This Way Comes, thought it's probably too early to say for sure. The story is amazing, the music is rich and atmospheric, but still aggressive, and Owens gives Barlow-quality vocals. I'll avoid saying too much for now, since I only got the album yesterday, but I can safely say that it's undeniably better than The Glorious Burden.

20. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Re: New Iced Earth Album

Heya Helphyre,

Please don't post torrent links here unless it's an officially released version that the band/management wants people to download.

I *liked* The Glorious Burden.