Global Hard Drive

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
This is an idea that evolved in the Madness forum, but since we might actually do it, I see no reason why this can't be in a serious forum.

Here's the deal: I've got 32 GB of bootlegs that I have no desire to keep for myself, but is too much to upload anywhere. And I have an 80 GB external USB hard drive that I'm not using. The idea is, that I'm filling it with my boots and some other goodies so that it's got maybe 40 gigs worth of files. Then I send it to a member of this forum who would like to have this stuff. If he or she likes to, he can put new files on the drive's empty space.

This member, however, does not send it back to me, but to another member, so we develop a chain until the hard drive has traveled around the globe and one fair day returns to me. Afterward, everybody has tons of bootlegs (roughly six years worth of collecting) and we share a real community experience.
For the fun of it, let's not stop there, but put some goodies from our respective homes in the package as well. I'm going to include a few postcards for everyone to choose from and perhaps something unique from my place. If possible, try and put a sticker on the hard drive too (for example one representing your home town or at something local).

If you're interested in participating, post in here and I will include your name in a list following. This thread is mostly meant to coordinate the route the package will be taking so everybody knows whom to send it to next. It would be feasible to choose the closest geographical location to send it to from your place so we don't have to pay more shipping than necessary.

Who's in?

Participants:

Perun (Germany)
Becky (United Kingdom)
Albie (England)
Zare (Croatia)
LooseCannon (Nova Scotia, Canada)
Forostar (The Netherlands)
Wasted CLV (Midwest USA)
Arran_Ramone (England)
SinisterMinisterX (Colorado, USA)
Onhell (Arizona, USA)
Moonstone (Mexico) - Uncertain
national_acrobat (England)
Hunlord (Ireland)
Yax (Sweden)
pilau (Israel)
Natalie (Austria/USA)

Yeah, why not. Are we going to be fussy on whether the boots are lossless or lossy? I know some people can be very particular about that.

Albie (England)

Is there a minimum amount of bootlegs you have to put on the hard drive?

Anyway, I'll think about this.  I won't be at home much for the next year or so (compulsory military service) so I'll probably have to decline.

Zare (Croatia), always in for insane ideas.

Albie raises a good point: With a few exceptions, all my boots are MP3. All are downloaded, i.e. I don't have any source CDs or anything. I'll say it straight out: If you're going to be fussy about it or think I'm a nazi for having them all in MP3, then don't participate.

Adding something to the hard drive isn't mandatory at all. It's just a nice gesture if you have something to add, that you share it with us. If you don't have anything you can put on it, just enjoy the stuff. :)

Currently, I am considering including all my bootlegs and then some rare Maiden-related stuff. I'm probably going to include the entire singles discography, some tributes and then some other rare tracks. If you have any ideas what else could be included, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

In terms of bootlegs, stuff by these artists will be included by me: Black Sabbath, Blaze, Children of Bodom, Deep Purple, Bruce Dickinson, Dio, Exciter, Grave Digger, Lauren Harris, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Brian May, Megadeth, Freddie Mercury, Metallica, Jimmy Page, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rainbow, The Rolling Stones. Feel free to add anything you have to this.

If things work out the way I'm hoping, I'll send this out on Friday.

Personally, I don't mind if they are MP3's, flac, WAV, whatever - bearing in mind a lot of boots are recorded by someone in the audience on a minidisc/tape recorder/(or something), so the sound ain't going to be that great from the off. I do have one or two high quality CD boots sourced from the soundboard, and unless anyone has any objections, I will put these on as a flac file. Also, if any existing downloaded boot is a flac, then it will remain so. I can convert each to a good quality MP3 if this is required, but unless I hear otherwise, I will do as above.

Another point, we should set some sort of standard naming convention (at least for the sub-folder the boots are in) so we don't start putting on duplicated stuff. So if each artists has it's own folder and each boot is named according to the venue and date (or similar) so we can easily see what is there and what each can add. I know this sounds obvious, but we don't want it full by the time the third or fourth person starts adding stuff only to find there is shed loads of duplicated shows - unless off course your show is from a different bootlegger perhaps.

Albie said:
Another point, we should set some sort of standard naming convention (at least for the sub-folder the boots are in) so we don't start putting on duplicated stuff. So if each artists has it's own folder and each boot is named according to the venue and date (or similar) so we can easily see what is there and what each can add. I know this sounds obvious, but we don't want it full by the time the third or fourth person starts adding stuff only to find there is shed loads of duplicated shows - unless off course your show is from a different bootlegger perhaps.

For that sake, let's just use the naming type I'm using, because I don't really feel like renaming all the folders:

DD.MM.YYYY- Place

For instance:

26.09.1984- Manchester

I would really put the year first, then the month, then the day.

1984.09.26- Manchester

Like this you get a chronological order of the gigs. It works really fine like this. Within the wink of the eye you can see if you already have the gig or not. If not then it's a random mix.

edit: Count me in!

Forostar (Holland)

I own more than 40 Gigabyte of bootlegs:

Bands of which I have most:

Iron Maiden      21,60 GB (this figure includes all related solo/side projects/old bands etc. of Maiden members)
Judas Priest       4,10 GB
Black Sabbath    4,12 GB
Rush                4,39 GB
Dio                  1,29 GB
Dire Straits       1,23 GB
Midnight Oil       1,88 GB
Pink Floyd         1,72 GB

Forostar said:
I would really put the year first, then the month, then the day.

1984.09.26- Manchester

Like this you get a chronological order of the gigs. It works really fine like this. Within the wink of the eye you can see if you already have the gig or not. If not then it's a random mix.

Yeah, but this would really mean me having to rename all my folders, that's literally hundreds. And since the names of the places are there, you can see it right away anyway.

Oh, I forgot: The boots are subdivided into folders. That is, one folder for each tour, and if the tour stretched for over a year, a folder for each year. I.e., there is a folder for the World Slavery Tour with two subfolders for 1984 and 1985 respectively.

I don't think I'd like to participate if I have to rename mine.
Is a Forostar directory possible (or a non-Perun directory?)

I can fill it with the stuff you didn't put on the disk.
:)

I am open for other alternative plans.

Forostar said:
I don't think I'd like to participate if I have to rename mine.
Is a Forostar directory possible (or a non-Perun directory?)

I can fill it with the stuff you didn't put on the disk.
:)

I am open for other alternative plans.

Do it as you like, really. I didn't want rules for every detail. ;)

Actually, let's make this clear again: It is not mandatory that you add something to this. This is mostly about me sharing my files with you. If you want to add something to the disk, you are welcome to do so, but you don't have to.

I'm in!  If for nothing more than the fun of it!  (and good tunes are always a good reason)

Wasted (Midwest USA)

Foro, I'd expect much of what you have to add is there already, so don't worry too much about it.  Besides, we're not asking you to rename your entire directory, simply when you do add things to keep it to a certain sense.

hey, since I don't have any files to share, I mite drop a local pic postcard in the shipping box or something like that, so when Per finally gets it back, he can see something of my neck of the woods.

Wasted CLV said:
hey, since I don't have any files to share, I mite drop a local pic postcard in the shipping box or something like that, so when Per finally gets it back, he can see something of my neck of the woods.

That was really the original intention. I don't know who originally came up with the adding files to it thing, but I really just wanted people to put a sticker on the drive or include a postcard with the package to give some visible proof of where it's been.

LooseCannon said:
Foro, I'd expect much of what you have to add is there already,

I doubt it, esp. when it comes to Rush and some other bands.

LooseCannon said:
so don't worry too much about it.  Besides, we're not asking you to rename your entire directory, simply when you do add things to keep it to a certain sense.

Like Per, I also like to share with you guys and I don't mind if you don't add (much). But I am pretty sure there'll be interesting stuff!

I think it's going to be a mighty interesting project! :)

Ah count me in definetly.

Btw, im not on much latley cos my pc is on the fritz. As soon as its sorted out, i will be back. With a vengance!

Back