1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

European Politics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forostar, Jun 13, 2007.

1. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Should've excluded it, it's an obvious one. Outside of that?

2. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Scary how this text could be translated to Turkey, referendum expanding powers of Turkish president, AKP, Erdogan, Kurds, opposition, state of emergency / purges (reaction to failed coup) etc.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

The Enabling Act (German: Ermächtigungsgesetz) was a 1933 Weimar Constitution amendment that gave the German Cabinet – in effect, Chancellor Adolf Hitler – the power to enact laws without the involvement of the Reichstag. It passed in both the Reichstag and Reichsrat on 24 March 1933, and was signed by President Paul von Hindenburg later that day. The act stated that it was to last four years unless renewed by the Reichstag, which occurred twice. The Enabling Act gave Hitler plenary powers. It followed on the heels of the Reichstag Fire Decree, which abolished most civil liberties and transferred state powers to the Reich government. The combined effect of the two laws was to transform Hitler's government into a legal dictatorship.

The formal name of the Enabling Act was Gesetz zur Behebung der Not von Volk und Reich ("Law to Remedy the Distress of People and Reich"). It was enacted by the Reichstag (meeting at the Kroll Opera House), where non-Nazi members were surrounded and threatened by members of SA and SS. The Communists had already been repressed and were not able to vote, and some Social Democrats were kept away as well. In the end, nearly all of those present voted for the act, except for the Social Democrats, who voted against it.[1]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

We have presidential elections next month and this guy's candidacy just got approved:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jazz from hell and Legatodave like this.
  4. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

5. The Flash

The translation is 100% correct.

6. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

That's...a heinous misinterpretation. Trump level wrong.

7. The Flash

Pshh Trump has a long way to go before he can match Erdoğan's expertise at this stuff.

8. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

He is nuts.

9. Forostar

A painful remark. How will he top this?

10. Dr. Eddies Wingman

it seems Wilders' party will only do slightly better than in the previous election, and Rutte's coalition will survive. @Forostar - thoughts?

11. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

So did I @TheFlash. Basically it means that Benedict Cumberbatch won.

Edit: there's been 2 pages since Foro posted loads of Dutch and The Flash said he understood all of it, so my original post is a bit out of date. This is what happens when you go to "first unread" and don't check the thread properly.

12. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Not Dutch. Deutsch.

13. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

14. Forostar

Thanks but I am not happy with this result at all. I'll post more about this later. "My" party was decimated.

15. Dr. Eddies Wingman

I guess the primary reaction outside of Netherlands is relief, as Wilders et.al. didn't have the success it was feared they would have.

@Forostar - what happened to the Dutch Labour party? There's been a general decline for European social democrat parties since their heyday in the 50s and 60s, but such a decline from one election to another ... how is that even possible without a major scandal?

16. Night Prowler

So far he promised he'll open a Lamborgini factory in Serbia, build a new (Serbian) Dubai, an iPhone factory, open Serbian Space Agency and colonize Mars if he becomes president.

Brigantium and Perun like this.
  17. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

That sounds like a lot of empty words if he's not going to make sure that everyone will be paid with candy.

18. Night Prowler

On a more serious note, his role in the elections is to attract people who didn't plan on voting, which in turn will prevent Vucic from winning in the first round.

I don't like him and feared the worst when his party came to power years ago, but I'm probably going to vote for Vučić this time. I think that the good opposition is still too disorganized and the bad (ultra nationalistic and racist) opposition is scary. At least I know what I'll get with Vučić. Someone else coming in and trying to change everything again would make things even worse.

19. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

This is a lambo

[​IMG]

...and this is Dubai.

[​IMG]

Making knockoff iPhones is also cheap and easy.
    Mars? Ah well. 4/5 election promises complete, who cares about Mars

20. Night Prowler

According to tomorrow's newspapers, he's 2nd in the polls :D

Aleksandar Vučić (current prime-minister) has 53%, this guy (Ljubiša Preletačević Beli) has 11%. If Vučić gets more than 50%, he will be the new president. He will put someone from his party or someone else who he can control as the new prime-minister and nothing will truly change. If Vučić gets less than 50%, there will be a 2nd round with Vučić and 2nd best candidate.

Current polls are:
    Vučić 53%
    Beli 11%
    Saša Janković (former national ombudsman who is an independent candidate; don't particulary like him but he isn't too bad either) 10,6%
    Šešelj (idiot racist nationalist cunt, right wing) 8,7%
    Vuk Jeremić (lost the elections to be come United Nations Secretary-General, was 2nd; also independent; he's also OK but don't think he's president material) 6,9%
    Boško Obradović 3,5% (racist homophobic nationalistic piece of shit excuse for a human, right wing) 3,5%
    plus 5-6 more who have no chance.

Šešelj getting into the potential 2nd round is a nightmare scenario. Don't even wanna think about it. I'd honestly rather have Trump as my president than this guy.