1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

European Politics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forostar, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

2. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Could backfire into providing Erdoğan with more strength for the upcoming referendum.

3. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Could well. Nothing like playing the victim to consolidate that kind of vote.

4. The Flash

A month away from the referendum, there's really no telling which way it's going to go. Polls are ridiculously inconsistent. Anything to spark some momentum could be a deciding factor.

5. Forostar

At this moment, the Turkish Minister of Family Affairs is being thrown out of the Netherlands. We're talking about NATO country A throwing out a Minister from NATO country B.

6. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

This is not good.

7. The Flash

This is happening. I'm sensing a momentum developing in favor of the Yes vote.

I saw a newspaper from Switzerland publishing their main article in Turkish saying "Vote no in the referendum". Little do they know, Turks are very cynical towards Europeans and it's gonna backfire. Turks never consider European sentiments to be considerate of their well-being, so they tend to go the opposite direction. It could very well motivate people who wouldn't vote to go vote Yes, saying "Europeans don't like him, so he must be doing something right".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  8. Forostar

It's all part of the Erdohan scheme: "I'll show you how bad the EU is so let's move in the other direction. This way I get more yes votes. The yes vote will give more democracy in Turkey. Look how more democratic we are than the EU."

9. Forostar

That scheme includes doing things EU nations don't like and not listening to them Instead: provoke and blackmail.

I am very glad that finally a country dared to stand up.

For the record: Kaya had no immunity and Turkey broke international law by doing what they did.

10. The Flash

Yup, bang on the money. This is a fabricated diplomatic crisis.

The worst thing is, Erdoğan is throwing the immigrants under the bus for votes and the immigrants don't even realize it. The protests are bound to strengthen the far-right in the Netherlands. Wilders is already causing havoc.

11. Forostar

And the immigrants are divided about this matter. There was a serious concern that a Minister speech would heaten the tensions.

Meanwhile this diplomatic row has become a major Dutch election issue as well. Most parties agree with how was dealt with matters last Saturday, but they disagree on what should happen from now on. E.g., one guy said the Ankara Agreement should be abolished. Which is not possible because that's a treaty between Turkey and the EU. And some do not wish to de escalate, and rather have more sanctions etc. Personally, I hope matters will calm down soon, but every time when a line is crossed, something should be done. We now see that every country in the EU does it their own way, and there is no open EU support, since there is a fear that Turkey will release millions of refugees in to the EU.

So: the EU is (sort of) under hostage.
    Individual countries not per se.

12. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

13. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Sure, why not destabilise some more?

14. The Flash

Not exactly a surprise. Staying in the EU was one of, if not the, biggest selling points for staying in the UK.

Forostar likes this.
  15. LooseCannon

Considering Remain did the best in Scotland, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leave win another referendum at this stage.

16. Perun

Currently, my view on referendums is the same as on wars. I wish we could clean up the mess they caused lately before starting any new ones.

17. The Flash

To all history buffs here, I have a question.

Is there an instance in history where people voted on switching to a dictatorship or not? If the answer is yes, is there an instance in history where this vote took place not after a war, civil war or revolution but in normal conditions?

18. Perun

Yes. Germany, 1933.

19. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Titus Lartius was the first Roman dictator and he was elected as one because of a looming war.

20. LooseCannon

United States, 2016.

Forostar likes this.