Dio Reverse Survivor: round 15

What are your seven favourite Dio songs from this list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stand up and Shout goes from barely hanging on to promoted, joining Southern Cross and Don't Talk to Strangers
Eliminated is 70 per cent of Killing the Dragon: Along Came A Spider, Better in the Dark, Rock n Roll, Guilty, Throwaway Children, Before the Fall, Cold Feet, as well as Prisoner of Paradise

Today enters what most would consider the last of the classic albums, Last in Line
The bonus track is a soundtrack number from the same classic Dio band era

Hide in the Rainbow is actually a pretty cool song.

I don't find Last in Line to be nearly as strong as Holy Diver (or Master of the Moon), but it's decent. Unfortunately a lot of the tracks are rather forgettable in the long run. The good tracks are amazing, though.

Temple of the King
Country Girl
Shame on the Night
We Rock
The Last in Line
I Speed at Night
Egypt

Temple
Tarot
COUNTRY GIRL(!!)
We Rock
The Last In Line
I Speed At Night

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think Egypt is overrated -- a little too plodding.

We Rock Last in Line, Temple of the King and Tarot Woman are promoted, the latter two after hanging in there for a long time.
Eliminated are Eat Your Hear Out, Evil Eyes, Breathless, Push and Hide in the Rainbow

Di's return to his traditional sound, Magica, enters the game, along with today's bonus track, something from the planned Magica sequel.

Throwing a lot of love at Magica today:

Country Girl
Straight Through the Heart
I Speed at Night
Lord of the Last Day
Fever muthafukkin Dreams! (awesome song)
As Long As It's Not About Love
Losing My Insanity

Big underappreciation for Last in Line out here, Ronnie's best album. No thanks for the razor quick elimination of Breathless and Evil Eyes. :down:
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I think Egypt is overrated -- a little too plodding.
:facepalm: Plodding?! The song only gets better and better. The atmosphere and suspense are unmatched. The guitar work (as on most of the album) is outstanding.

I love Dio's performance on this one. Even if his lyrics don't always make much sense, Dio sings with great conviction, like he really believes in (t)his reality. Words like "whispers" and "lost horizon" are legendary in his vocal style. I like the pace of this track, the way it's built up. There's this minor keyboard contribution which is small but without it the track lacks something. Favourite moment is when Vivian Campbell plays this beautiful guitar melody (starting from 5.17). It could be my favourite guitar melody ever.

Last edited:
I don't agree that Last in Line is Dio's best album (or even close), but this:

:facepalm: Plodding?! The song only gets better and better. The atmosphere and suspense are unmatched. The guitar work (as on most of the album) is outstanding.

I love Dio's performance on this one. Even if his lyrics don't always make much sense, Dio sings with great conviction, like he really believes in (t)his reality. Words like "whispers" and "lost horizon" are legendary in his vocal style. I like the pace of this track, the way it's built up. There's this minor keyboard contribution which is small but without it the track lacks something. Favourite moment is when Vivian Campbell plays this beautiful guitar melody (starting from 5.17). It could be my favourite guitar melody ever.

...is spot on. Egypt is a masterpiece.

Sorry for the delay in updating.

That was a weird round. No songs really carried the day and only Straight Through the Heart was promoted.
Lots of eliminations though, including Lady Evil, Wishing Well and Atom and Evil, which had been hanging on for a long time.
Also gone are: Killing the Dragon, Discovery-Magica Theme, Turn to Stone, Eriel, Challis, Otherworld, Magica Reprise, Lord of the Last Day Reprise, Electra, Feed My Head, and Scream

Entering the game is the final Vivian Campbell record, Sacred Heart
No bonus track this time.

I'd never expected that only one song would be promoted. (d*mn)

Me neither, but the next two had just 4 votes each.
Maybe with most of the heavy hitters already promoted that will be the way the game starts go and I'll have to be less strict on promotions moving forward. Still figuring out how this game works.

Yeah but in such a large group, with only 1 vote less, I thought it would made sense they would be promoted.

Maybe with most of the heavy hitters already promoted that will be the way the game starts go and I'll have to be less strict on promotions moving forward. Still figuring out how this game works.
No problem. Although there's a chance these won't have such an opportunity anymore.

Last edited:
As suspected, votes were pretty spread out.
We have to keep the game moving so four votes will get you promoted.

Promoted are: I Speed At Night, Sacred Heart, Losing My Insanity, Country Girl, Caught in the Middle
Eliminated are: Shoot Shoot, Fallen Angels, Another Lie

Entering the game is what is generally considered the low mark of Dio's discography: Angry Machines
And our bonus track, the all-star charity effort Stars

- Stars is very cool, but I can't vote for it simply because it's not purely Dio..
- Angry Machines is a terrible, terrible album. Kill it! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
- Except "This Is Your Life" which is an absolutely beautiful piece of music and a chilling performance.

Promoted are: Country Girl

@Cornfed Hick - :yey: :edmetal: :okok: :nana:

Operation Save Shame on the Night and Egypt begins!

Voting for:

Shame on the Night
Egypt
Fever Dreams
As Long As It's Not About Love
King of Rock 'n' Roll
Like the Beat of a Heart
This Is Your Life

- Stars is very cool, but I can't vote for it simply because it's not purely Dio..
It sounds very much like typical Dio material from that era. It has more solos but that doesn't bother me in the slightest degree.
The other singers make the feast complete.
- Angry Machines is a terrible, terrible album. Kill it! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
I don't think I ever heard it that well before. It is a dark, and very heavy album with monster riffing. I like the odd time signatures, e.g. in the opening track.
I wonder if I like it more than its predecessor (we'll see that one turn up later of course).

Why are most of you ignoring Rock and Roll Children? So catchy. One of the best riffs, one of the best verses, and the chorus totally rules as well. The melody that comes up at some point in the solo is so memorable. Vivian Campbell in optima forma. Sublime song.

It sounds very much like typical Dio material from that era. It has more solos but that doesn't bother me in the slightest degree.
The other singers make the feast complete.

I don't think I ever heard it that well before. It is a dark, and very heavy album with monster riffing. I like the odd time signatures, e.g. in the opening track.
I wonder if I like it more than its predecessor (we'll see that one turn up later of course).

Why are most of you ignoring Rock and Roll Children? So catchy. One of the best riffs, one of the best verses, and the chorus totally rules as well. The melody that comes up at some point in the solo is so memorable. Vivian Campbell in optima forma. Sublime song.

It's very much a Dio-driven song, but with all the other singers and players I would never put in my top "Dio" songs. It's a side project for a charity thing and doesn't belong on a proper list of his songs imo.

The biggest problem with Angry Machines is the melodies and lyrics. Some of the riffs are good, some of the music is good, but overall it's just such a downer of an album with overall subpar songs. When the biggest issue with a Dio album is Dio himself, you know it's a bad Dio album.

As for Rock and Roll Children, if we had 8 votes, that would have been my next vote!

It's very much a Dio-driven song, but with all the other singers and players I would never put in my top "Dio" songs. It's a side project for a charity thing and doesn't belong on a proper list of his songs imo.
It is written by Dio and two of his bandmates. Absolutely enough to have this accepted in this game. Now it is in, let's judge it by its quality rather than this principle.

Stars is absolutely a Dio song: written and produced by the man, with the basic tracks performed by his classic band.
So what if it has a bunch of guest musicians?

It is also a great song with great performances.
That Buck Dharma solo — :notworthy:

Back