Dio Reverse Survivor: round 15

What are your seven favourite Dio songs from this list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here some words about Lord of the Last Day. This song has a doomy side, a threatening atmosphere. By far the best from the album for me. That midpiece is really something. Try to predict when the accents come in, preceded by Jimmy Bain. Haunting powerful stuff.

Check the moment @ around 1.39 here, or better watch the whole song:
(On this vid Ronnie is about the same age as Bruce is now)

And this...... (continued here) should survive!

Last edited:
It is written by Dio and two of his bandmates. Absolutely enough to have this accepted in this game. Now it is in, let's judge it by its quality rather than this principle.

I'm just saying why I am not voting for it. It is a good song, and I would rather hear it with only Dio singing and without a two-minute guitar solo. As it exists, I don't consider it better than anything I voted for.

This is Your Life (an emotional song) stays, but the rest of Angry Machines goes, along with Just Another Day, while Egypt is (finally?) promoted.

A very solid album, Dream Evil, enters the game, along with another piece featuring Craig Goldie, Time to Burn.

Ronnie must have been in a very angry place in the '90s. The beautiful melodies are flat out missing from Angry Machines and the hope and self-determination that characterizes so many of his lyrics is absent.

Dream Evil will be interesting as there aren't a lot of weak songs left in my opinion.

Haven't decided if I'm voting for it yet, but I'd also like to put in a plug for Time to Burn.
Of the poppier songs he did in the '80s, it's one of the stronger ones.
Strong melody and a nice solo.

Last edited:
The Night Has a Thousand Eyes!

Sunset Superman! Love that song. That midpiece is so exciting as are the verses.

Others that get my vote:

Fear
One Night in the City
Mystery
Lord of the Last Day
Rock and Roll Children
Stars

Shame on the Night
As Long As It's Not About Love
Night People
Dream Evil
Sunset Superman
All the Fools Sailed Away
Overlove

The first half of Dream Evil is incredibly strong and then, imo, it takes a massive fall off a cliff (except for Overlove). By-the-numbers Dio material with questionably silly lyrics and titles.

Promoted: Rock n Roll Children
Eliminated: Mystery, This is Your Life, King of Rock n Roll, Like the Beat of a Heart, I Could Have Been a Dreamer, Time to Burn, Faces in the Window, When A Woman Cries

Into the game is the uneven, but slightly underrated Strange Highways.

Shame on the Night
first four from DE + Overlove

Sorry, Strange Highways, but you have no great songs. Jesus, Hollywood, and Gun are the only pretty decent ones.

Promoted: All the Fools Sailed Away, One Night in the City
Eliminated: All of Strange Highways save Jesus, Mary and the Holy Ghost

Enter the penultimate album of the preliminary round: the average, mostly unsung Lock Up the Wolves.
For those who aren't familiar, now's a decent time to give it a listen.

I quite like Lock Up The Wolves. It's got an energy to it that most of those 90's albums don't have and there's some pretty damn good songs.

Thus, I'm abandoning some very good DE songs (for shame, I know!)...

SHAME ON THE NIGHT (COME ON NOW!)
Night People
Dream Evil
Wild One
Between Two Hearts
Walk on Water

Lock Up The Wolves is the first Dio studio album that brought in a producer other than RJD himself -- Tony Platt -- and it is noticeable, as Wolves is IMO the best-sounding Dio album. So it's got that going for it. (Is that damning with faint praise?) There's nothing really awful on this record, but not much noteworthy, either. The opener, "Wild One," is up-tempo and at least as good as anything else on the album, so I'll throw it a vote. While the songwriting isn't as good as on prior albums, RJD's voice sounds fantastic here, especially on the closer, "My Eyes." I'll give that a vote too, but it may lose that vote as soon as I get a chance to vote for "I"!

Very defensive round for me. Could bite me in the ass.
Love the singing and the suspenseful delays in the title track of Wolves.
Class of the album for me.

Promoted (after hanging in there a really long time): Shame on the Night

:nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana:

I particularly love Dehumanizer and thus...I'm begrudgingly abandoning my votes for Wolves and Magica.

Night People
Dream Evil
Computer God
After All (The Dead)
TV Crimes
Master of Insanity
I

1. Lord of the Last Day
  2. Stars
  3. Sunset Superman
  4. Born on the Sun
  5. Lock Up the Wolves
  6. My Eyes
  7. Computer God

Promoted: I
Eliminated: The Devil Cried, Buried Alive, Too Late, Sins of the Father, Time Machine, Master of Insanity, Letters From Earth, My Eyes, Walk On Water, Between Two Hearts, Born on the Sun, Wild One, Jesus, Mary and the Holy Ghost, As Long as it's Not About Love, Fever Dreams, Lord of the Last Day, Fear

And that concludes the preliminary round.
The playoffs will begin in a new thread.

I am somewhat confused. Songs that are not promoted (neither eliminated), have they also reached the play-offs?

Back