Dio Reverse Survivor: round 15

What are your seven favourite Dio songs from this list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
RULES: Instead of voting off your least favourite songs, I want you to VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITES.
In the elimination rounds you get SEVEN votes. To make the game work, please try to use them all.
In the playoffs we will relax the seven vote rule and allow for more strategic voting.

Any track that gets no votes will be immediately eliminated.
The tracks that get the most votes will be promoted.

Promoted:
Man on the Silver Mountain, Stargazer/Gates of Babylon, Kill the King/Heaven and Hell/Catch the Rainbow, A Light in the Black, Children of the Sea, Die Young/Falling off the Edge of the World/Mob Rules, Bible Black, Neon Knights/ Holy Diver, Rainbow in the Dark/ Don't Talk to Strangers, Sign of the Southern Cross, Stand Up and Shout/Temple of the King, Tarot Woman, We Rock, Last in Line/Straight Through the Heart/ I Speed At Night, Sacred Heart, Losing My Insanity, Country Girl, Caught in the Middle/ Egypt (The Chains Are On)/ Rock n Roll Children/ All the Fools Sailed Away, One Night in the City/ Shame on the Night/ I
Eliminated:
Snake Charmer, If You Don't Like Rock'n'Roll, Self Portrait, Black Sheep of the Family/I'm Coming Back For You, Sensitive to Light, Do You Close Your Eyes, Run With the Wolf/Lonely is the Word, Walk Away, Mistreated, The Shed, LA Connection, Lady of the Lake, Starstruck, Still I'm Sad, 16th Century Greensleeves, Never More/Double the Pain, Rock n Roll Angel, The Turn of the Screw, Eating the Cannibals, Follow the Tears, Neverwhere, Breaking Into Heaven, Ear in the Wall/Slipping Away, Shadow of the Wind,Voodoo, E5150, Over and Over, Long Live Rock'n'Roll/Shivers, Living A Lie, The Man Who Would Be King, In Dreams, Metal Will Never Die/ Master of the Moon, End of the World, The Eyes, Gypsy, Rainbow Eyes, Turn Up the Night, I Am, Death By Love, Invisible/ Along Came A Spider, Better in the Dark, Rock n Roll, Guilty, Throwaway Children, Before the Fall, Cold Feet, Prisoner of Paradise/Push, Breathless, Evil Eyes, Eat Your Heart Out, Hide in the Rainbow/Killing the Dragon, Discovery-Magica Theme, Turn to Stone, Eriel, Challis, Otherworld, Magica Reprise, Lord of the Last Day Reprise, Electra, Feed My Head, Scream, Atom and Evil, Wishing Well, Lady Evil/ Shoot Shoot, Fallen Angels, Another Lie/ Just Another Day, plus every Angry Machines song (save This is Your Life)/ Mystery, This is Your Life, King of Rock n Roll, Like the Beat of a Heart, I Could Have Been a Dreamer, Time to Burn, Faces in the Window, When A Woman Cries/ All of Strange Highways save Jesus, Mary and the Holy Ghost/ Why Are They Watching Me? Twisted, Evil on Queen Street, Night Music, Hey Angel/ The Devil Cried, Buried Alive, Too Late, Sins of the Father, Time Machine, Master of Insanity, Letters From Earth, My Eyes, Walk On Water, Between Two Hearts, Born on the Sun, Wild One, Jesus, Mary and the Holy Ghost, As Long as it's Not About Love, Fever Dreams, Lord of the Last Day, Fear

Playoffs
Eliminated: Night People, Lock Up The Wolves, Naked in the Rain, Computer God, After All (The Dead), TV Crimes, Sacred Heart, Losing My Insanity, Country Girl
+4 Don't Talk to Strangers, Sign of the Southern Cross
+3
+2 Stand Up, Temple, Tarot, Caught,
+1 Speed at Night, Straight Through

Eliminated: Hungry For Heaven, Dream Evil, Overlove, Shame on the Night, Sunset Superman, I Speed at Night, Rock n Roll Children, One Night in the City.
+4 Children of the Sea, Die Young
+3 Catch the Rainbow, Mob Rules, Neon Knights
+2 Sign of the Southern Cross
+1 Don't Talk to Strangers, Tarot Woman, A Light in the Black, Bible Black, All The Fools Sailed Away

Eliminated: Stand Up and Shout, I, We Rock, Bible Black, Man on the Silver Mountain, Straight Through the Heart, Temple of the King, Don't Talk to Strangers.
+5 Heaven and Hell
+4 Children of the Sea, Last in Line, Holy Diver
+3 Stargazer, Gates of Babylon, Neon Knights
+2 Falling off the Edge of the World, Die Young
+1 Catch the Rainbow, Kill the King, Tarot Woman, A Light in the Black, All The Fools Sailed Away

Eliminated: Sign of the Southern Cross, Caught in the Middle, Rainbow in the Dark, Catch the Rainbow, Mob Rules, Last in Line
+2 Children of the Sea, Gates of Babylon, Falling off the Edge of the World, Heaven and Hell
+1 Tarot Woman, Stargazer, Die Young

Eliminated: Stars, A Light in the Black, All the Fools Sailed Away
+3 Heaven and Hell
+2 Stargazer, Gates of Babylon, Children of the Sea, Falling Off the Edge of the World
+1 Die Young, Holy Diver

Eliminated: Egypt, Tarot Woman (10)
+1 Holy Diver
+2 Stargazer, Gates of Babylon
+3 Heaven and Hell, Children of the Sea, Falling off the Edge of the World, Die Young

Eliminated: Kill the King
+1 Stargazer, Edge, Neon Knights
+3 Children of the Sea
+5 Heaven and Hell

Eliminated: Die Young, Holy Diver
No pluses

Eliminated: Neon Knights
+1 Gates of Babylon
+2 Heaven and Hell

Eliminated: Stargazer
+1 Heaven and Hell, Falling off the Edge of the World
+2 Gates of Babylon
Today's bonus track: Elf: I'm Coming Back For You

Last edited:
Catch, Tarot, Light, Long Live, Gates, Kill the King, Rainbow Eyes

Long Live Rock N Roll is a great album, I have it above the Rainbow debut.

EDIT @mckindog I think you put this in the Polls forum and not the Games subforum?

Catch the Rainbow
Temple of the King
Starstruck
A Light in the Black
Long Live Rock 'N Roll
Gates of Babylon
Kill the King

I'd love to get an 8th vote just for Rainbow Eyes, which would be my next pick and is a beautiful song.

photo-of-martin-birch-and-rainbow-and-ronnie-dio-and-ritchie-ronnie-picture-id84880741

Ronnie James Dio, Martin Birch and Ritchie Blackmore at The Record Plant, April 01, 1976

Never More
Catch the Rainbow
16th Century Greensleeves
Still I'm Sad
Tarot Woman
Gates of Babylon
Kill the King

Last edited:
Eliminated: I'm Coming Back For You, Sensitive to Light, Do You Close Your Eyes, Run With the Wolf
Promoted: Kill the King, Gates of Babylon

In comes Heaven and Hell, as well as the bonus track, the live version of Mistreated

You guys are too fast. Poll updated now.

Time for some strategic voting.

Catch The Rainbow
Temple Of The King
Starstruck
Long Live Rock N Roll
Neon Knights
Children Of The Sea
Heaven And Hell

7 votes for a round that includes Heaven and Hell is far, far too few votes...

So, I guess:
Catch the Rainbow
Temple of the King
A Light in the Black
Neon Knights
Children of the Sea
Heaven and Hell
Die Young

Maybe it's early to evaluate, but the strength of this game is that songs with not that many votes are not eliminated fast (have more than one chance), while there's still progress. Good job @mckindog.

One of the qualities that On Stage possesses and the "evermore" praised Maiden Japan lacks: Interesting solo moments.

Long live versions of Sabbath songs suck. Long live versions of Deep Purple songs suck. Long live versions of Dio songs suck.
But long live (and studio as well) versions of Rainbow (in the Rainbow line-up) songs rule.

Lonely Is The Word portrays such a touching sadness. Did Iommi ever play so emotional?

Last edited:
Maybe it's early to evaluate, but the strength of this game is that songs with not that many votes are not eliminated fast (have more than one chance), while there's still progress. Good job @mckindog.

Lonely Is The Word portrays such a touching sadness. Did Iommi ever play so emotional?

I agree - this format is pretty cool!

Lonely Is The Word is incredible and Iommi's playing is superb. If I had more votes that would be my next choice, along with the rest of H&H except for possibly Walk Away. There are too many strong songs at the moment...

That was a tough round. So tough, one vote wasn't good enough to save a song this time and plenty of good tracks are going home.
They include: Lonely is the Word, Walk Away, Mistreated, The Shed, LA Connection, Lady of the Lake, Starstruck, Still I'm Sad, 16th Century Greensleeves, Never More
I'd buy that album

Monster classic and pre-tournament favourite Heaven and Hell is the only song promoted.

Time for another twist.
A flaw in our normal Survivor format is it favours the best songs on lesser albums and crushes lesser songs on deep albums, particularly when the latter are part of a string of strong albums. I've done two things to address that.

The first is the fact that promotions are not tied to any particular album.
The second is I am not doing the albums in order.
From here on in, we will be alternating Ronnie's newest remaining album with his oldest.
That means The Devil You Know joins the game

Today's bonus track: Ear in the Wall

That was a tough round. So tough, one vote wasn't good enough to save a song this time and plenty of good tracks are going home.
They include: Lonely is the Word, Walk Away, Mistreated, The Shed, LA Connection, Lady of the Lake, Starstruck, Still I'm Sad, 16th Century Greensleeves, Never More

Man...that's harsh. Starstruck and Lonely is the Word could've ended up in the top 30.

Lonely is the Word, Walk Away, Mistreated, The Shed, LA Connection, Lady of the Lake, Starstruck, Still I'm Sad, 16th Century Greensleeves, Never More
I'd buy that album
Heh! Well that comment eases the "pain" of losing some of these somewhat!
The second is I am not doing the albums in order.
Excellent. Especially album order always was the biggest flaw imo. I really like what you're doing!
... Lonely is the Word could've ended up in the top 30.
I hoped it would have more support but alas.

Catch the Rainbow
Neon Knights (top Iommi solo, in a top Sabbath/w Dio mid section)
Children of the Sea
Wishing Well
Die Young
Atom and Evil*
Fear (magnetic riffing and melodic solo)

*Atom and Evil has Dio in optima forma. What a vocal melody with that threatening guitar line underneath.
This piece:

One more promise
We can tame the sun
And then we'll shine forever
Someday you can cry for everyone
We'll burn when you were clever

and this:

Falling's easy
Rising will never be
So we must rise together
Here are the changes
Powerful harmony