Clive Burr passes away

Saapanael

Ancient Mariner
FORMER IRON MAIDEN DRUMMER CLIVE BURR PASSES AWAY

We are deeply saddened to report that Clive Burr passed away last night. He had suffered poor health for many years after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and died peacefully in his sleep at home.

Steve Harris said “This is terribly sad news. Clive was a very old friend of all of us. He was a wonderful person and an amazing drummer who made a valuable contribution to Maiden in the early days when we were starting out. This is a sad day for everyone in the band and those around him and our thoughts and condolences are with his partner Mimi and family at this time."

Bruce Dickinson adds “I first met Clive when he was leaving Samson and joining Iron Maiden. He was a great guy and a man who really lived his life to the full. Even during the darkest days of his M.S., Clive never lost his sense of humour or irreverence. This is a terribly sad day and all our thoughts are with Mimi and the family”

As Maiden fans all know, Clive joined Maiden in 1979 and performed on the first three albums Iron Maiden (1980), Killers (1981) and The Number Of The Beast (1982).
Prior to that he was a member of Samson, the band Bruce fronted before he too joined Maiden.

From Iron Maiden's official Facebook page, also Wikipedia.

clive-burr-04.jpg

Clive+Burr+clivesmile.jpg

The Facebook announcement is only 20 minutes old, and it already has over 2500 replies, and tributes appear everywhere. Despite the terrible disease and the all-too-soon death, he can be considered a lucky man for all the love he's received.

This tribute is almost a year old, but quite fitting.

What?! This comes as a surprise, even though I knew he was ill. I didn't realize he could pass away any moment. :(

An (ex-)bandmember died, that's for us Maiden fans something new. I don't know how this will sink in yet.

Clive after Death....

I guess I'll cherish his work on the albums more than earlier even.
I'll post my favourite track he's played on, which is also one of his best contributions.

R.I.P. Clive.

Oh no, how very sad. Such a talented drummer. I had no idea his health had deteriorated so much

Back