Clive Burr passes away

RIP Clive. He left one hell of a legacy in music history in the form of his drumming on Number of the Beast.

Really sad news :(

RIP

Gonna spin Maiden Japan in tribute

When I found about it I became really sad... He was a hell of a drummer in his old times... At least he's not suffering anymore. RIP

The Number of the Beast line-up is my all-time favorite, and not only for Maiden.
And I've just realized, reading an old interview, that his girlfriend herself suffers of the same disease. Wish her all the best possible.

RIP Clive
A very talented drummer who will live on through the impact that his music has had on generations of metal fans.

edit: added Stratton

Missed all this myself, from Blabbermouth, 2 days ago:

A number of rock and heavy metal musicians have reacted to the news of the passing of former IRON MAIDEN drummer Clive Burr, who died last night in his sleep at his home at the age of 56 after suffering from multiple sclerosis for many years.

Dennis Stratton
"I am so sad that I have lost an old mate. So glad I saw Clive and [his partner] Mimi last year. God bless, mate. Now you can jam with Mooney [Keith Moon], [John] Bonham and all the other drummers up there. Our song. The greatest luv of all."

Dave Lombardo (SLAYER): "Sadness overcame my morning when I heard this news. His style was inspiring and the albums he recorded with IRON MAIDEN are touchstones of my music education. He played with a particular energy which bought edge and excitement to the IRON MAIDEN classics. I never got to meet him, but I wish did. The best thing for me to do right now is listen to some classic IRON MAIDEN. Up the irons!"

David Ellefson (MEGADETH): "I was so saddened to hear of Clive Burr passing away today. He was one of my all-time favorite metal drummers. I'm thankful for his music and contributions. My condolences..."

Slash (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER): "Really sad news; RIP Clive Burr. Played on my fav IRON MAIDEN records."

Tom Morello (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE): "RIP Clive Burr, original IRON MAIDEN drummer, who rocked those first 3 records HARD."

Dave McClain (MACHINE HEAD): "Very sad news. One of my favorite drummers and a huge influence on me as a young drummer. To me, he brought punk rock drumming into heavy metal. I can remember walking into the Hemisphere Arena in San Antonio to see IRON MAIDEN and seeing Clive's white kit on stage. I about crapped my pants! I just stood there in awe looking at the actual kit that I had been staring at on the back of the 'Killers' album cover for the whole summer. I was a HAPPY kid! He will always be an inspiration to my drumming. One of my go-to guys when I'm trying to find different drum fills and beats, or I'll ask myself, 'What would Clive do?'"

NIGHTRAGE: "R.I.P Clive Burr. You will always be remembered for your awesome drumming on the three first MAIDEN classics. NIGHTRAGE will not even exist without the great IRON MAIDEN. This life sucks when only the good die young."

BEHOLDER: "BEHOLDER would like to send out our deepest condolences and sincere regards to Clive Burr's family and friends. We were fortune enough to be invited to do a benefit show for Clive some years back, and as hardened MAIDEN fans, we were absolutely honored. In our short time with him on the night, Clive was a gracious and approachable guy and will forever be remembered as being a major part of one of England's finest exports."

POSSESSED: "We are very sorry to hear about Clive Burr's death... Great musician that was a key element in the early years of one of metal's most important bands, IRON MAIDEN. May he rest in peace."

WARBRINGER: "Thankfully, we'll always have the the first three IRON MAIDEN albums to listen (at extremely loud volumes), head bang and air-drum to in his honor. Up the irons!"

Richie Faulkner (JUDAS PRIEST): "Not a prisoner, I'm a free man, And my blood is my own now, Don't care where the past was , I know where I'm going"

ACCEPT: "R.I.P. Clive Burr. He will be truly missed....he left us with some amazing drumming. Loved his style and sound."

Jeff Waters (ANNIHILATOR): "RIP, Clive. One of the best, most original and most underrated drummers ever. His style was unique... his performances on those first three MAIDEN records influenced the drumming I've been writing for ANNIHILATOR all these years and he had me air-drumming my whole metal life... Only Lombardo was air-drummed more by me! Clive was #2 :) I met him once and was a class act. This is a loss of a true legend and innovator. Time to crank up 'The Prisoner'."

Nigel Glockler (SAXON): "I have just been informed that former IRON MAIDEN drummer Clive Burr has passed away. Clive's drumming as an important part of those early MAIDEN albums and sound. My sincere sympathies to his family, IRON MAIDEN and fans everywhere. RIP, Clive."

Paul Bostaph (SLAYER, TESTAMENT, EXODUS, FORBIDDEN): "I'm truly saddened to hear of Clive Burr's passing. His drumming has had and still has a strong influence on my playing style. I bummed I never go to meet him and thank him in person for his musical gifts. God speed, Clive!"

Ronny Munroe (METAL CHURCH): "The music world has lost another great in Clive Burr. IRON MAIDEN's early drummer, who has finally lost his battle with MS after many years of fighting. I learned a lot of what I know on drums from listening and watching Clive and the early MAIDEN years. So a big 'thank you' to Clive Burr, may he rest in peace. My condolences to his family and friends."

Jeff Scott Soto (TALISMAN, JOURNEY, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN): "RIP to the best and original drummer of IRON MAIDEN, Clive Burr... Prayers to him and his family!"

SACRED REICH: "RIP Clive Burr. The early IRON MAIDEN records are still my favorite ones."

LOCK UP: "R.I.P. Clive Burr... Such sad news!!!

3 INCHES OF BLOOD: "RIP Clive Burr, your contributions to metal will live forever."

Jason Bittner (SHADOWS FALL): "Rest in peace, Mr. Clive Burr!!!!! My first ever favorite heavy metal drummer!! So many great beats, grooves, and killer hi hat work... the man had some fast hands, and will be missed! Up the irons!!"

EXUMER: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to Clive Burr's family and friends today... We are sad for your loss. There are nothing but happy memories of this fantastic and charismatic drummer in our camp and these memories will live on, since Clive played on MAIDEN's most memorable albums... we miss you, Clive."

WHITE WIZZARD: "We are very sad to hear of Clive Burr's passing away. He was a huge influence on me as a player when I was growing up. Such an amazing drummer. He, obviously, from what I have seen and heard, was an amazing person and seemed like a rare humble soul in the ego mania world of rock and roll. It makes me thankful to have my health and humbled to be able to play my instrument and do what I love. No matter how hard things get it is important to remember every day you can make music or do whatever it is you love without physical limitations, it is a blessing. It must have been so hard to have to leave MAIDEN when he did, and he always showed no bitterness. That shows a lot of character. All the best, Clive Burr, may you hold your sticks high in the heavens wherever your soul wanders and drum again... Drinking MANY ESB's this week in your memory."

Michael Kopietz (CHAINFIST): "As many off you allready know, yesterday the former IRON MAIDEN drummer Clive Burr died at the age of 56. So, why am I writing this? Well... Maybe some of you know this, but my dad (Peter Kopietz) also past away way to early, it was in '89 at the age of 53. I remember how IRON MAIDEN got me through a time of great sorrow for a 14-year-old boy, remember how the first record I ever recorded ('Dimensions' by FROZEN SUN) was dedicated to him and a great way to put the feelings out in my music, forever... So peeps, let's 'Like' this one for the people who died or just left us way to early. Take care of yourselfs and RIP all of you good people who also lost a friends, family member or a drummer. ALL HAIL CLIVE BURR."

PARAGON: "R.I.P. Clive Burr! IRON MAIDEN and especially their first three albums are a big influence for PARAGON. Our drummer, Chris, is big fan of Clive and his drumming and even plays in IRON MAIDEN tribute band…"

I only just saw this news today, as I've been traveling. Definitely going to play the first three albums today in tribute. Very sad news. :(

Charlie Benante (Anthrax)
http://loudwire.com/anthrax-charlie-benante-others-pay-tribute-iron-maiden-clive-burr/

"CLIVE BURR...One of My Favorite Drummers of all time. A quick Story. It was 1981 I was hanging with Friends in the Back of the Palladium in NYC. Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were playing. 2 taxi's pull up and Maiden get out, Steve and Clive hang and talk for a bit. Clive at the time was an up and coming drummer that I thought played with a style all his own. The drumming on KIllers inspired me to Kick it up a notch and I did. I spoke with him and asked him for a pair of Sticks. When he was done signing things he went into the venue and 10 minutes later came out with a pair of Sticks for me...I still have those sticks. He was awesome, I was bummed when Maiden let him go. RIP Clive, You have Influenced so many and to this Day...Nobody Plays Like you"

- - - -

Steve 'Loopy' Newhouse (early crew member)
http://metaltalk.net/columns/20104608.php

I didn't know much about Clive when he showed up at our rehearsal studio asking for a job. I thought great, somebody else to fill up the Green Goddess when she ran out of fuel.

I should have known better, because it was the fuel in Clive that drove the band.

Corny maybe, but when you think back to those days, Iron Maiden were doing OK, but when Clive joined the team, they got better and better.

He first showed up just after Dennis Stratton joined and being at a loose end, I made it my job to look after Clive and make him feel at home, and although we never completely saw eye to eye, I think I did my best for him.

For the best part of two years, I did everything I could to keep him happy. I made sure his laundry was done, I kept his kit clean, picked up his supplies, ordered anything he needed, and kept him in order, if needed.

Clive had a great sense of humour too, and loved to do his impression of David Bellamy ("grapple me grape nuts") or repeat Derek and Clive live, word for word.

The last time I saw Clive was about three years ago, when I was asked to help out on one of the Clive Aid gigs at the Royal Standard, E17. At that time, I hadn't seen him for 25 years.

What I saw in the wheelchair that night was not Clive Burr. The Clive I knew would have jumped up and punched me.

Clive was a lovely guy to work with, but sadly is no more. Rest In Peace.

- - -

Clive Burr obituary by Mark Taylor (from Metaltalk.net)
http://metaltalk.net/columns/201017146.php
Also includes various music he did after Maiden.

I guess management (or whoever runs the official website) really didn't bother with posting an image of Clive and the link to the full news on the front page... That's the least that should have been done. I guess Trooper beer is more important.

Back