Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: Finals!

Vote for your favorite song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a couple things to cross-post from the results thread, for greater visibility.

1. Thanks to everyone for voting and playing! I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

2. The top 20 songs by vote percentage, regardless of how many rounds the song advanced:
top20bypercent.png

A few observations...

Rush bias is indeed strong on this forum. I'm guilty myself of course; I only rarely voted against Rush. I think it's time for game runners to consider treating Rush like Iron Maiden: if you put them in your game, they will win. Keep that in mind if you want a competitive game. This statement is really a compliment to Rush: like Maiden, most of us clearly put them in an upper echelon that's tough to beat.

Bohemian Rhapsody won both my game and mckindog's Overexposed game without breaking a sweat. If there's ever another game like this, I'd recommend giving BR an automatic "honorary #1" and leaving it out of the next game. As I mentioned before: when I saw that BR had the #1 seed, I knew from the start that the real competition was for #2.

American "heartland rock" - Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp - mostly crashed and burned. I'm not sure if it's because this is a forum full of metalheads, or if this music just doesn't resonate with Europeans.

Songs from the 90s did very well. If I were ever to try another game like this, I think I'd use half pre-Nirvana and half post-Nirvana songs, and put them up against each other every round. "Old classic rock" vs "new classic rock" turned out to be (for me at least) the most interesting part of this game.

If there will be a next time, may I do the following suggestions:

Let Rush tracks (Limelight! since it's more popular than Tom Sawyer, but you can better put them both in the same half of the game to be sure) face Bohemian Rhapsody (in the other half of the schedule) in the end. Because I think the bias for that song is at least as high as Rush bias. Bias or not, these songs are popular out here. And it would be odd to leave them out if we go for a complete overview.

Speaking of leaving out, I have already touched these points but will do another attempt gazing at the future:
While I've understood the methods used in this particular game, next time I would really put in Aqualung and Child in Time. Especially the latter is a huge omission, at least from non-American perspective. The first could do very well, because Tull has a Maiden "connection" and this particular track has some magnificent passages (the chorus and guitar solo for example).

Last edited:
I think it would be best to re-seed after a few rounds, to be honest. That might shake it up a bit.

Back