Change in the band's logo

Yeah, it changed on Virtual XI. But the thing is, it would have made a lot more sense if it changed in 1995: not only was the musical climate at much more "anti-80's" point, but it also marked another musical era for the band, since it was the first album with Bailey.

That being said, from time to time they do bring back the old logo.

I actually like the 'new' logo. It looks great on the 2000s album covers.

No Prayer certainly was certainly a radical change with the 1980s, in music and in stage set.
Agree, but at the same time grunge was yet to dominate the mainstream, so in a way i don't think the musical climate was at all the same as, say, 3 or even 2 years later. Also, i still think Maiden still maintained a certain 80's feel on that album, just toned down in a way. I think some people, and even i sometimes fall in that mistake, tend to base their vision of the 80's on the visual excess many bands were putting across between like 84 and 88. Glam is the word. Even Motley were toning it really down by their standars by 88. Even Kiss.

Though, they do seem to have jumped between the two designs for non-album releases e.g. Flight 666 and Maiden England (2013) have tails below the baseline on R, N, & M (if this is the changes you're all discussing); BBC Archives, Beast Over Hammersmith and Best Of B-Sides do not.

I don't think I get your point well nuno. The No Prayer album (musically, vocal wise, sonically!) and tour (stage set etc.) was Maiden's most radical change from the previous past, in this case an album from the 1980s. I don't think a change of logo on 1998 has anything still to do with making (again) such a statement, or having such a sentiment.

1980s feel on No Prayer? Perhaps a bit on Mother Russia, but for the rest, this album has about the least 1980s feel of the whole discography. IMO of course, but I wonder which elements you find so 1980s on it. The voice is a huge departure, just as the music, rougher, less polished.

I don't think I get your point well nuno. The No Prayer album (musically, vocal wise, sonically!) and tour (stage set etc.) was Maiden's most radical change from the previous past, in this case an album from the 1980s. I don't think a change of logo on 1998 has anything still to do with making (again) such a statement, or having such a sentiment.

1980s feel on No Prayer? Perhaps a bit on Mother Russia, but for the rest, this album has about the least 1980s feel of the whole discography. IMO of course, but I wonder which elements you find so 1980s on it. The voice is a huge departure, just as the music, rougher, less polished.
I do see the departure, what i mean to say is that many people seem to only consider the 80's as being a certain amount of years in that decade, as opposed to the whole decade.

The Self titled and Killers were both released in the 80's and both sound rougher, you know?

To me, No Prayer sounds like 1990. It was a time when big bands were trying to achieve an unpolished, rough hard rock sound, the same way Alice Cooper and Motorhead did at the time. Like everybody else, Maiden tried too hard, and No Prayer has the least natural feel of all Maiden albums to me. It sounds forced.

To me, No Prayer sounds like 1990. It was a time when big bands were trying to achieve an unpolished, rough hard rock sound, the same way Alice Cooper and Motorhead did at the time. Like everybody else, Maiden tried too hard, and No Prayer has the least natural feel of all Maiden albums to me. It sounds forced.
Forced production-wise or music-wise?

Music-wise. They were hell bent on getting back to their roots, just like an adult tries to recapture the magic of the lego playing he grew out of.

Music-wise. They were hell bent on getting back to their roots, just like an adult tries to recapture the magic of the lego playing he grew out of.
Interesting. I never heard that on the album. I always saw it like this: After Seventh son, they didn't really know where to take ir from there, so they took a step back. I always thought the album sounds, much more than forced, not that strong when compared to their last albums.

I think the album became much more enjoyable, at least to me, when i started listening to it as an entity in itself.

No Prayer is a more aggressive side of Maiden, and it certainly sounds as if they wanted to go back to the values of their early years.

Is feels forced? Well, they felt like doing it.

Dave Murray in 1990: What happened is that we found ourselves in the same state of mind as at the beginning, with the same thirst for success, the same rage as we had 10 years ago, but this time with the experience that you get from 10 years of a successful career...

edit: When you see live footage of that era, the band looks as if they really had a fresh breath of air. Renewed motivation.

No Prayer is a more aggressive side of Maiden, and it certainly sounds as if they wanted to go back to the values of their early years.

Is feels forced? Well, they felt like doing it.

Dave Murray in 1990: What happened is that we found ourselves in the same state of mind as at the beginning, with the same thirst for success, the same rage as we had 10 years ago, but this time with the experience that you get from 10 years of a successful career...

edit: When you see live footage of that era, the band looks as if they really had a fresh breath of air. Renewed motivation.
Is there any pro-shot footage from that era? If so, gimme gimme gimme :dancinggeek:

There is this very good documentary of that No Prayer On The Road tour:

part 1 of 5

Lots of great live footage and interviews and you'll see how low scale everything was in the early 90s. Very basic touring compared to how they fly around in their own Jet and everything today :p

There is this very good documentary of that No Prayer On The Road tour:

part 1 of 5

Lots of great live footage and interviews and you'll see how low scale everything was in the early 90s. Very basic touring compared to how they fly around in their own Jet and everything today :p
Thank you very much :)

I thought the new typography was perhaps more related to the advent of computer generated artwork. The original drawn typography was manually placed on top of the finished Eddie artwork/magazine headers/photos whereas the modern logo is a computer font and so is more restricted by text line borders. The mid-90s is when PC ownership ballooned and during the lengthy recording process for the X-Factor Steve and his artists likely started tinkering with computerized fonts. Bang, the modern logo was created.

In recent times is the original logo is only used for releases relevant to the 80s era - Flight 666, Maiden England?

Back