Bruce Dickinson

Well, the "chance for a real great cover in the booklet" was a long shot that felt a bit like hopium.
Well, yeah, but why not something like this:

This artwork was shared by Roy today (TBOS vibe),
rheherh.jpg
...and it really is the type of mystical piece that TMP booklet should have. That would be the most fitting thing especially for this album and it's the least Bruce could do. And to continue the important imo tradition that unites his albums. TOS booklet is full of such arts. TCW also has some. Let's not forget that he referenced some of Blake's work in Rain On The Graves video. He basically can create an art world for the album within the booklet! Imagine each full page featuring one of the songs with different art that fits theme of it - the perfect continuation of the comic. He does something similar with the covers of the comic episodes, but that would be something that even Maiden have never done. That would have been an amazing and cool statement from Bruce. Certainly possible if he wants it. A missed opportunity, given Bruce's idea/concept for the album.

Well, yeah, but why not something like this:
Because Bruce clearly has different priorities and doesn't care about it as much.

That would be the most fitting thing especially for this album and it's the least Bruce could do.
Nah, it's not. What we're getting "is the least he could do" and he could arguably deliver something even simpler.

He basically can create an art world for the album within the booklet!
He could, but he clearly doesn't want to. As much as it pains me: The world has moved on from physical media and most musicians don't want to spend the time, money and effort for something that the majority of the audience won't ever see, since most people are listening to music via streaming services.

That would have been an amazing and cool statement from Bruce. Certainly possible if he wants it. A missed opportunity, given Bruce's idea/concept for the album.
It is possible, but unfortunately for us not something he cares for. That's the sad reality.

Because Bruce clearly has different priorities and doesn't care about it as much.

Nah, it's not. What we're getting "is the least he could do" and he could arguably deliver something even simpler.

He could, but he clearly doesn't want to. As much as it pains me: The world has moved on from physical media and most musicians don't want to spend the time, money and effort for something that the majority of the audience won't ever see, since most people are listening to music via streaming services.

It is possible, but unfortunately for us not something he cares for. That's the sad reality.
I’m not sure I quite agree to the whole listening to music on the streaming services part. You maybe partially right but if I were to take the example of Maiden and what they’ve done with Senjutsu and TBOS, I’d say the booklet and some of the art inside is friggin awesome. As a matter of fact it’s far better than the booklet on the first 4 reunion albums and that’s when streaming services weren’t as huge. At the end if you wanna make a nice looking CD/Vinyl, you’ll invest. Just think Bruce is far more invested in his comic series as it’s something that’ll go on for the next 2.5 years and maybe could earn him more than the album itself.

I’m not sure I quite agree to the whole listening to music on the streaming services part.
That's not just my opinion; that's an observation of the current landscape. I'm not a fan of streaming, but most music is consumed via streaming nowadays.
That's also the reason why TBOS and SNJ had such simple cover artworks, with the more intricate designs being hidden away in the booklet: The covers without elaborate backgrounds read better on small phone screens and streaming websites.
Again, I'm not a fan of this development, but it's an unfortunate reality.

Quick question @TheMercenary : I know you can't answer questions regarding the actual music, but did you receive a digital copy of the album or the actual physical release, with booklet and all that jazz included?

Last edited:
That's not just my opinion; that's an observation of the current landscape. I'm not a fan of streaming, but most music is consumed via streaming nowadays.
That's also the reason why TBOS and SNJ had such simple cover artworks, with the more intricate designs being hidden away in the booklet: The covers without elaborate backgrounds read better on small phone screens and streaming websites.
Again, I'm not a fan of this development, but it's an unfortunate reality.

Quick question @TheMercenary : I know you can't answer questions regarding the actual music, but did you receive a digital copy of the album or the actual physical release, with booklet and all that jazz included?
I see where you’re coming from but I’m not sure there would be a strong correlation between having a good cover & streaming online. I think had mentioned this a month ago also that even if it’s a really nice looking cover & assuming you’re a die-hard fan of the artist, you’ll still go buy the album. I think the streaming thing applies for first time listeners and people trying to get into the band. For old school fans like us, I can still bet a lot of people (maybe 75-80%) would go pick up a Bruce/Maiden CD or Vinyl.

Groovy verse, great melodic chorus.
I love Devil On A Hog!
The weak TOS brother for me is Believil.

Mars Within/Abduction - 8/10
Soul Intruders - 7/10
Kill Devil Hill - 10/10
Navigate the Seas of the Sun - 8/10
River of No Return - 7/10
Power of the Sun - 9/10
Devil on a Hog - 9/10
Believil - 6/10
A Tyranny of Souls - 10/10

Mars Within/Abduction - 10/10
Soul Intruders - 10/10
Kill Devil Hill - 10/10
Navigate the Seas of the Sun - 9/10
River of No Return - 8/10
Power of the Sun - 7/10
Devil on a Hog - 6/10
Believil - 7/10
A Tyranny of Souls - 8/10

Dickinson addressed the incident during a new interview with Sakis Fragos of Rock Hard Greece about his upcoming solo album, "The Mandrake Project". Asked about his response to the flare at the concert, Bruce said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Oh, the guy swinging his thing and everything else. You know what? I probably got his nationality wrong. [Laughs] I just lost my temper, because it was such… That activity that a very, very small minority of people do is so selfish and so disturbing. They think it's really cool. Actually, it's not about the band. It's not about the audience. It's about them drawing attention only to themselves and damaging the people around them who have this thing, this extremely toxic thing flying around. Of course, if you happen to be asthmatic, if you haven't been having any lung conditions, 'Oh, we don't care about them. We'll just fill the place with smoke, 'cause it makes me feel important,' is their attitude. It just annoys the hell out of me. Anyway, yeah, I lost my temper. I shouldn't have called him a Greek cunt; I should have just called him a cunt. [Laughs]"

Mars Within/Abduction - 10/10
Soul Intruders - 5/10
Kill Devil Hill - 10/10
Navigate the Seas of the Sun - 10/10
River of No Return - 10/10
Power of the Sun - 5/10
Devil on a Hog - 10/10
Believil - 2/10
A Tyranny of Souls - 6/10

Back