Bruce Dickinson

Dickinson addressed the incident during a new interview with Sakis Fragos of Rock Hard Greece about his upcoming solo album, "The Mandrake Project". Asked about his response to the flare at the concert, Bruce said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Oh, the guy swinging his thing and everything else. You know what? I probably got his nationality wrong. [Laughs] I just lost my temper, because it was such… That activity that a very, very small minority of people do is so selfish and so disturbing. They think it's really cool. Actually, it's not about the band. It's not about the audience. It's about them drawing attention only to themselves and damaging the people around them who have this thing, this extremely toxic thing flying around. Of course, if you happen to be asthmatic, if you haven't been having any lung conditions, 'Oh, we don't care about them. We'll just fill the place with smoke, 'cause it makes me feel important,' is their attitude. It just annoys the hell out of me. Anyway, yeah, I lost my temper. I shouldn't have called him a Greek cunt; I should have just called him a cunt. [Laughs]"
I agree with him. People who do that are very selfish. I know people who are asthmatic. If they have been there at the greek show, they'd probably die from the smoke. Added to the fact that the smoke of flares is toxic, so the people without lungs issue can develop illnesses following the inhalation of toxic smoke. The security staff didn't make its job. But, I'm happy he asked the Greek people for forgiveness and that he recognized his mistake. :)

Last edited:
Listened to Tyranny this morning on the way to work - man I hope there's more songs from it than Navigate in the set list this year. Soul Intruders is one of my favourite songs, Kill Devil Hill and the title track would also kill live. Such a shame there wasn't a proper tour in 2005.
"Abduction" and "Power Of The Sun" deserve more recognition and to be on the setlist either. :)

Dickinson addressed the incident during a new interview with Sakis Fragos of Rock Hard Greece about his upcoming solo album, "The Mandrake Project". Asked about his response to the flare at the concert, Bruce said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Oh, the guy swinging his thing and everything else. You know what? I probably got his nationality wrong. [Laughs] I just lost my temper, because it was such… That activity that a very, very small minority of people do is so selfish and so disturbing. They think it's really cool. Actually, it's not about the band. It's not about the audience. It's about them drawing attention only to themselves and damaging the people around them who have this thing, this extremely toxic thing flying around. Of course, if you happen to be asthmatic, if you haven't been having any lung conditions, 'Oh, we don't care about them. We'll just fill the place with smoke, 'cause it makes me feel important,' is their attitude. It just annoys the hell out of me. Anyway, yeah, I lost my temper. I shouldn't have called him a Greek cunt; I should have just called him a cunt. [Laughs]"

@____no5 and @Aggelos would surely love this.

It warms my heart to see him “apologise” so sincerely and so shortly after the event happened…

Joking aside, nice to see a journalist addressing the elephant in the room instead of paying lip service to the PR machine.

What a great interview.
He said ''on the upcoming tours'', not tour!

He doesn't want to play guitar live.

He loves to make music videos with a story. He would love to make mini film videos for all of the songs from TMP.

He showed all of his demos in 2014 to Steve and asked him to use some for the upcoming Maiden album.

He kept the 2014 intro vocals on ''Eternity Has Failed''.

Roy kind of based everything on Moonlight Sonata for ''Sonata''. A sample beneath was mentioned.

''Fingers In The Wounds'' has an almost Evanescene vibe in the intro, according to Bruce.

He and Roy talked about that it would cool to play The One You Love To Hate with Rob live. ''Rob is a lovely man''.

He said that in Maiden they have to respect the trademark sound of the band, while with his solo albums he can do whatever he wants.

He said Skunkworks is an underrated album and the guitar playing on it is off the charts.

He and Roy are friends with Uli John Rott and he is a big fan of the album. Bruce played him the rough mixes last year and said he would love him to play on his solo songs if he wants. ''The most amazing guitar player''.

The most curious bits:

• Bruce and Roy will be remixing all solo albums in Atmos over the course of the next couple of years.
  • About Alexander live in Greece, he said he can't say about future plans, but they want to make the Greece fans happy. 3rd leg of TFP confirmed? I think so.
  • And, big news--- he and Roy are already writing for the next solo album!!! A couple of songs are pretty much ready. Roy sent him over an hour of ideas and he is a creative monster, according to Bruce. There is a song from TCW sessions that Bruce has wanted to record ever since, but Roy only found the demo tapes now. Otherwise it would have been on TMP. He will fly to the US next week to write more new songs with Roy and to start remixing Skunkworks.

• And, big news--- he and Roy are already writing for the next solo album!!! A couple of songs are pretty much ready. Roy sent him over an hour of ideas and he is a creative monster, according to Bruce. There is a song from TCW sessions that Bruce has wanted to record ever since, but Roy only found the demo tapes now. Otherwise it would have been on TMP. He will fly to the US next week to write more new songs with Roy and to start remixing Skunkworks.
/Dancing and Prancing emoji here/

:yey:

I wonder if Maiden are reaching the finish line.
Not for now, but the retreat is not so far away, I'm afraid... :eek: At least Maiden touring live will no longer last after the 3rd leg of Future Past tour (a name that is full of answers) and the extended 50th anniversary world tour. :facepalm: Fortunately, Steve Harris have said that the band will still release new records, so even if Maiden will not tour anymore in the next years, we will still have regularly new music. :)

I see where you’re coming from but I’m not sure there would be a strong correlation between having a good cover & streaming online. I think had mentioned this a month ago also that even if it’s a really nice looking cover & assuming you’re a die-hard fan of the artist, you’ll still go buy the album. I think the streaming thing applies for first time listeners and people trying to get into the band. For old school fans like us, I can still bet a lot of people (maybe 75-80%) would go pick up a Bruce/Maiden CD or Vinyl.
I didn't say that there is a general correlation between album covers and streaming. I'm just explaining that the TBOS and SNJ covers were definitely influenced by such decisions.

Of course die hard fans will go and buy physical media. I'm talking about the pure fact that the majority of music in the entire music industry nowadays is consumed via streaming:

This is not an opinion; it's an objective, measurable fact. There is some variance, where specific genres might have different ratios of physical:streaming, but the younger listeners overwhelmingly listen to music via streaming. Physical has become a niche, and with the exception of vinyl, is getting smaller and smaller.
Your "maybe 75-80%" is simply not supported by the data, I'm afraid. I get where you're coming from, but things have changed drastically in the last decade, whether we like it or not.

Not for now, but the retreat is not so far away, I'm afraid... :eek: At least Maiden touring live will no longer last after the 3rd leg of Future Past tour (a name that is full of answers) and the extended 50th anniversary world tour. :facepalm: Fortunately, Steve Harris have said that the band will still release new records, so even if Maiden will not tour anymore in the next years, we will still have regularly new music. :)
I feel they’ll do 20 albums. It’s a long shot but ya never know

Yeah like calling the guy just a cunt was less insulting. He called a guy out for texting :D. He needs to seriously chill out man.

I didn't say that there is a general correlation between album covers and streaming. I'm just explaining that the TBOS and SNJ covers were definitely influenced by such decisions.

Of course die hard fans will go and buy physical media. I'm talking about the pure fact that the majority of music in the entire music industry nowadays is consumed via streaming:

This is not an opinion; it's an objective, measurable fact. There is some variance, where specific genres might have different ratios of physical:streaming, but the younger listeners overwhelmingly listen to music via streaming. Physical has become a niche, and with the exception of vinyl, is getting smaller and smaller.
Your "maybe 75-80%" is simply not supported by the data, I'm afraid. I get where you're coming from, but things have changed drastically in the last decade, whether we like it or not.
Not denying that things haven’t changed as much. I am not sure I can agree that TBOS & Jutsu were influenced by this decision. Well if that’s the decision they’re making, then why bother making a fancy and colorful booklet. Just have the lyrics and credits painted on a black/white background. By that reasoning, every artist should have followed suit. Look at the covers of other bands like Megadeth, Priest, CoF, etc.

Also we could take a vote on here as to who’d actually buy a new Maiden/Bruce record. That should sum it up.

Last edited:
I think it is not too far away.
At least the current way of touring. Doing 3-4 months in one go with around 40 shows is brutal for them.

And then you can add health issues, some members apparently having considered retirement the last 7-8 years and I start to think they will at least change something from 2025 onwards.

Back