Official Star Wars Thread

There's also a bit of shaky cam in that trailer, which is way more jarring than the colorization IMO.

I don't mind shaky cam in very tense action sequences - it can enhance the film. But I agree, it should be used sparingly, if at all.

At this point it's pretty much the default setting for any action scene, so I'm used to it, but just not in a Star Wars movie. So seeing that was very odd.

Well, JJ put shaky cam into Star Trek...we can't assume this will be a 1980s Star Wars film. We got some of those. It didn't work well.

JJ will make the movie he wants to make. It should have new movie-making elements as well as old, and that's fine.

Didn't know about Star Trek. I don't mind new techniques leaking into the the movie, like I don't care about the color filters at all. My issue with shaky cam isn't exclusive to Star Wars, it's in every action movie and rarely adds to the excitement, if anything it's a distraction and comes off as lazy. I probably won't notice it much in Star Wars since I'm so used to it, but it'd be really nice if it was used sparingly.

One thing I loved about the Daredevil series was the lack of shaky cam. I want more of that in movies.

Me too! I love the new Marvel movies but a lot of the fight scenes aren't that exciting to me because they're so busy and hard to follow, but Daredevil completely fixed that.

I have that problem with a lot of the fight scenes in today's action films. It's like game speed fighting, and very hard to follow.

Colin Trevorrow to direct Episode XI, @Chained Prometheus. And Disney has announced that they will indeed build Star Wars Land next to Disneyworld.

Yeah, I heard about it last night. I have mixed feelings on the matter. Colin Trevorrow is hardly the worst director that they could have gotten, but he just feels like a step down from both J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson. Jurassic World was a fun watch, but it wasn't particularly great either. Trevorrow's directing was relatively bland, but he did a good job at handling the action set-pieces. His nod to Hitchcock's The Birds was cool.

Considering this is Star Wars though, Trevorrow really needs to up his game as a director. I've watched some interviews from him recently and he's basically admitted that he needs to improve his technique as a filmmaker and grow. That's a good first step for me, but I'd feel a lot better if he enlists a great D.P. to shoot the film with him. Star Wars and top-notch cinematography go hand-in-hand, so Trevorrow needs to be able to stage those sorts of iconic shots.

Yeah, I heard about it last night. I have mixed feelings on the matter. Colin Trevorrow is hardly the worst director that they could have gotten, but he just feels like a step down from both J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson. Jurassic World was a fun watch, but it wasn't particularly great either. Trevorrow's directing was relatively bland, but he did a good job at handling the action set-pieces. His nod to Hitchcock's The Birds was cool.

Considering this is Star Wars though, Trevorrow really needs to up his game as a director. I've watched some interviews from him recently and he's basically admitted that he needs to improve his technique as a filmmaker and grow. That's a good first step for me, but I'd feel a lot better if he enlists a great D.P. to shoot the film with him. Star Wars and top-notch cinematography go hand-in-hand, so Trevorrow needs to be able to stage those sorts of iconic shots.

I really liked Jurassic World, but I can agree with this statement. Though I do think he is more of an "actor's director" than both Abrams and Johnson (the former is all about overall look and the latter all about overall tone). Regardless, I believe he'll be directing Jurassic World 2 before he starts on Star Wars, so he'll no doubt up his game by then.

I really liked Jurassic World, but I can agree with this statement. Though I do think he is more of an "actor's director" than both Abrams and Johnson (the former is all about overall look and the latter all about overall tone). Regardless, I believe he'll be directing Jurassic World 2 before he starts on Star Wars, so he'll no doubt up his game by then.

I haven't seen Safety Not Guaranteed yet, so I can't comment on his directing in that film, but I don't think Trevorrow is much of an "actor's director." Especially in comparison to Abrams or Johnson. They both have their own idiosyncratic styles with their films, certainly, but both are praised for their ability to get great performances out of their actors. One of the criticisms of Jurassic World, aside from the screenplay, was the acting.

Also, Trevorrow has confirmed multiple times already that he is not directing JW2. He might write the first script for it or the initial treatment, but he's not directing it. His next project or two appear to be his own original works or something and then he'll direct Episode IX.

Also, Trevorrow has confirmed multiple times already that he is not directing JW2. He might write the first script for it or the initial treatment, but he's not directing it. His next project or two appear to be his own original works or something and then he'll direct Episode IX.

Ah, I missed have missed that. Damn. As silly as JW got, it was still handled very well, I thought. Hopefully we don't get another The Lost World.

There have been numerous plot spoilers released for TFA which sound interesting...
The best thing about it though is that they have tried to use practical effects were possible.

The best thing about it though is that they have tried to use practical effects were possible.

That's the most ridiculous thing about the marketing for this film. There is going to be a boatload of CGI in Episode VII - perhaps as much as in TPM, that wasn't even that close to being as CGI heavy as people like to believe. Hey, Yoda was a puppet in the original film - they couldn't even do him in CGI.

http://www.designntrend.com/article...-force-awakens-cgi-plot-spoilers-revealed.htm

CGI became a problem with Attack of the Clones. It looks awful. The action scenes are like a video game. TPM at least looks ok to me. There are some lame special effects parts like the battle for Naboo but that film (as well as Clones) has way worse things going for it anyway.

CGI is fine but I don't want to see another movie shot entirely over blue screen like a computer game.

Because it's just dramatic poses that look like they could be from any film released these days. No distinct Star Wars feel to it.

To be fair, it was 5 seconds of clips. We have no idea of knowing what was going on.

Though John Boyega was wearing a uniform reminiscent of the Rebel uniforms used on Hoth. It gave me a very Empire Strikes Back feeling, while Luke was doing his training with Yoda.

Back