Official Star Wars Thread

I agree there is nothing wrong with the technology. It is how it is cobbled together. Dating back to the original SW movies, Lucas deserves a ton of credit for advancing the movie experience .. THX sound, the stuff created at ILM, Skywalker Sound ... and in the prequels he did some cool stuff as well. He just went too far with it, but it is great that he has pushed the technology envelope and hopefully in the future it will be used in a better balance.

I grew up with all six of the films and still maintain that the original trilogy are masterpieces, whereas despite some of the brilliant redeeming features of Episode III, I struggle to stomach the prequels these days. That said, i'm super excited for this new one. Looks great.

Love how 'practical effects' have become the leading marketing focus for the film, rather than if they've actually got a story worth a damn to tell. :p

Love how 'practical effects' have become the leading marketing focus for the film, rather than if they've actually got a story worth a damn to tell. :p
I trust JJ. I trust JJ with the story, and I trust him with the effects. This shows that the effects will be on par.

Abrams is by all means competent, and I don't doubt the films will be good, but for me, they are done for the wrong reasons. I'd be much more interested in what kind of film Lucas himself would have done at this point. Now we'll get the films made for the sole reason to be successful and make money for the big company that owns the rights. That... Sucks. I'm actually hoping it will suck so much that the prequels and especially Sith gets the credit it deserves.

Honestly I don't mind if these films are obvious cash grabs as long as they have the right people working on them. Every studio is going to be trying to make money, that's why the original Star Wars had to go through a ton of studios before 20th Century Fox took it. Sure the studio's only concern is to turn a big profit, but is that not true for every other big studio out there? What matters is that the people actually involved in the creation (director, writers, cast) actually care about doing the series justice. So far they've given me every reason to think that they do.

And let's not pretend money wasn't a huge factor when the prequels got made.

Ya'll seen the new Amy Schumer photoshoot for GQ? :devil:

http://www.gq.com/gallery/amy-schumer-photos-star-wars-trainwreck

Amy-Schumer-GQ2.jpg

It's not the first I heard of modern colour filtering and colour composition. Admittedly, it's not a big problem to me as to film nerds, but seeing how this is a conscious artistic choice and seeing how the same choice is made in every film, it does make me wonder.

This isn't the only modern film trend that has found its way into the movie so far. There's also a bit of shaky cam in that trailer, which is way more jarring than the colorization IMO.

Personally I think the little things like that are going to be something that I might notice after seeing it a few times or finding some article like this after the movie, but I really doubt it'll take me out of the movie. Also, I noticed the teal in the trailer in that storm trooper hangar but assumed it was just the lighting of the interior. Still doesn't bug me.

Back