Your favourite guitar solos

Raven said:
It's the kind of attitude of 'I-think-we-should-throw-the-solo-that-we-have-to-have-in-here' that causes otherwise fantastic Slayer and later Maiden tracks (to name but two artists) to fall flat on their faces by disintegrating into absolute travesties of solos.  I'm looking at you, Gates of Tomorrow, Sign of the Cross, Seasons in the Abyss, Angel of Death et al

Personally the Sign Of The Cross solo is something great and well fitted to the song.  :)
Though your say of a well structured song is very true.

Mmm...Donuts said:
Personally the Sign Of The Cross solo is something great and well fitted to the song.  :)

I find that the solo in Sign of the Cross (esp. true live) really trips up over itself by attempting to cram too many notes into a short space of time.  The entire 6 minutes surrounding the solos is brilliant, esp. the post-solo melody, but I don't rate the solos very highly.

Mmm...Donuts said:

Which solo do you mean particularly, or do like them both the same?

Well, the first time I heard the solos, I thought of them as generic solos, but with continuous listens, it grew on me, and after finally knowing how to play em, I enjoyed them ever since. Dave's solo through Janick's, I enjoy listening, but I like playing Janick's more. It doesn't matter of the cramped notes, it just sounds great and fits the mood song quite well. But I think that Dave's live solo isn't as nice as the studio version.

Good thread! really got me thinking. I love a lot of songs and there are WAY to many good solos to name, but I'll mention some:

Iron Maiden- "The Duelist" by far my favorite solo

In Flames- "Zombie Inc." Not the best, but I really like it for some reason and it's odd. To me "Colony" is their weakest of their good albums (Subterranean, Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman) But Zombie Inc. is I believe THEIR best solo. I love how they slow down, go acoustic and then build back up, amazing, what won me over to melodeath. Another good one is
Icarus Witch- "Capture the Magic" from the album of the same name and incidently the only one they released :(

Grave Digger- "Soul Savior" from The Last Supper is a BRILLIANT classic metal fast, melodic in your face song with an equally brilliant solo

Candlemass- "Into the Unfathameble Tower" while an instrumental it basically is just a guitar solo and a great one at that too.

I have many more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now :)

PS
HELLOWEEN!!!!- "Eagle Fly Free" and "Keeper of the Seven Keys"!

Onhell said:
Good thread! really got me thinking. I love a lot of songs and there are WAY to many good solos to name, but I'll mention 2.

Iron Maiden- "The Duelist" by far my favorite solo

Which solo do you mean particularly, or do like them both the same?

Hmm, if I had to choose I'd say the second one, though that huge instrumental section is just marvelous, but yeah, guitar solo specifically... the second one gets the nod.

@Onhell: Yeah, Adrian's tapping technique gets me there. Here's some solos I like by guitarist: No particular order :smartarse:

Top 10 H: 22 Acacia Avenue, Alexander The Great, Paschendale, Powerslave, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, Revelations, Caught Somewhere In Time, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, Moonchild

Top 10 Janick : The Legacy, Blood Brothers, Montsegur, Sign Of The Cross, The Clansman, Como Estais Amigos, Man On The Edge, Dream Of Mirrors, The Fallen Angel, Childhood's End

Top 10 Dave : Killers, Fear Of The Dark, The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, Lord Of Light, Revelations, 22 Acacia Avenue, Powerslave, Still Life, The Thin Line Between Love And Hate, No Prayer For The Dying

Raven said:
Comparing these kind of 'solo-less' bands with a band like DragonForce or Yngwie Malmsteem, who focus almost exclusively on shoving themselves (and their skills) so far up their own collective arses that no light reaches them, you can clearly see the contrast between focussing on an actual song structure and throwing out the same song just so the guitarist can jerk off along their fretboard.

I just watched a new video interview with the two guitarists of Helloween (3 parts)
http://www.toazted.com/interview/1242/Helloween.html

In part 3 ( http://www.toazted.com/playinterview/27 ... een-3.html ), the interviewer asks Michael Weikath about DragonForce (time index: 1:55). Pretty funny answer! :)

Many of my favourite's have been mentioned already.  Here is one of mine.  Gary Moore.."Parisienne Walkways" 
Really an awesome song.

Back