Yes/no Thinking Game

[!--quoteo(post=134181:date=Apr 6 2006, 03:03 PM:name=Not_Bruce_Dickinson)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Not_Bruce_Dickinson @ Apr 6 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]134181[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well, could you grease both the bottom of the statue and the thing it was being put on? Then it'd just slide out... The sling, that is.
[/quote]
You could, but this statue is too heavy to simply slide across a greased surface and can only be hoisted by a crane and then settled down from there.
The statue could have a high centre of gravity and with its weight, sliding it along a greased surface to avoid it toppling would be to push it near its base. And that would not be anywhere near as efficient as this solution to this.
Coupled with that, the statue and its platform could be made of stone and greasing it would not work if the base is too wide.

If you can put the slings under the statue's base, you can remove them in pretty much the same way once it's on its pedestal. I don't know how you do it in the first place, but the removal of the slings should be done in the same way. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134197:date=Apr 6 2006, 04:43 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Apr 6 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]134197[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If you can put the slings under the statue's base, you can remove them in pretty much the same way once it's on its pedestal. I don't know how you do it in the first place, but the removal of the slings should be done in the same way. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]
[/quote]
You would hope that would have been thought of prior to the move or even sculpture. I suppose a suggestion would have been to put the raw material on a set of stands for each corner (a bit like putting a car on four axle stands) and then sculpt away. Or maybe it would have been set on a piece of ground that had a small groove to allow the slings to pass through. But either way, the solution to this is not exactly the same as the soultion to getting the slings under the base in the first place.

Well this died a painfully long and slow death.

Basically, you would put a few blocks of ice on the statues platform.................

[!--quoteo(post=134395:date=Apr 8 2006, 10:54 PM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 8 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]134395[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well this died a painfully long and slow death.

Basically, you would put a few blocks of ice on the statues platform.................
[/quote]
You sir, didn't think up of that one yourself [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134404:date=Apr 9 2006, 12:43 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Apr 9 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]134404[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You sir, didn't think up of that one yourself [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Never said I did [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

As for it been a bit simpler than some of the others, I really thought it would.

[!--quoteo(post=134414:date=Apr 9 2006, 08:07 AM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 9 2006, 08:07 AM) [snapback]134414[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Never said I did [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

As for it been a bit simpler than some of the others, I really thought it would.
[/quote]
I've been thinking about this one. how do you get the straps under the statue in the first place? ::

[!--quoteo(post=134416:date=Apr 9 2006, 10:43 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Apr 9 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]134416[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I've been thinking about this one. how do you get the straps under the statue in the first place? ::
[/quote]
Mav asked the same question. Either the raw material, prior to sculpting but with the base already flattened, was either placed on the slings in the first place (obviously not attached to the crane just yet), or it was placed on some sort of stands (like a car on axle stands) or on a piece of ground with some groves to allow the straps to be passed beneath it. Then it can be sculptured and subsequently hoisted.

Trouble is, this was not in the original question when I first heard it and had to make that bit up! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134418:date=Apr 9 2006, 11:18 AM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 9 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]134418[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Mav asked the same question. Either the raw material, prior to sculpting but with the base already flattened, was either placed on the slings in the first place (obviously not attached to the crane just yet), or it was placed on some sort of stands (like a car on axle stands) or on a piece of ground with some groves to allow the straps to be passed beneath it. Then it can be sculptured and subsequently hoisted.

Trouble is, this was not in the original question when I first heard it and had to make that bit up! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[/quote]
This seems very contrived... why would the sculptor be thinking of transporting the statue before he has even made it? I'm being petty again... anybody got another riddle?

[!--quoteo(post=134420:date=Apr 9 2006, 11:33 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Apr 9 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]134420[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
This seems very contrived... why would the sculptor be thinking of transporting the statue before he has even made it?[/quote]
He was commissioned to do the sculpture by the local arts council and part of the contract drawn up by both parties included a clause whereby the impending transportation had to be considered beforehand. And besides, the artist has a massive ego and would have demanded the piece be shown but did not want members of the public traipsing around his studio/workshop (that had a sliding roof to allow the statue to be removed). [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

ok heres one for ya, doesn't require much thinking its actually pretty lame ::

A plane goes down in an horrific accident and crashes exactly on the border between the USA and Canada.
Half on the plane is in USA and half in Canada, the question is where are the survivors buried????

[!--quoteo(post=134433:date=Apr 9 2006, 04:19 PM:name=MaidenEngland787)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MaidenEngland787 @ Apr 9 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]134433[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
ok heres one for ya, doesn't require much thinking its actually pretty lame ::

A plane goes down in an horrific accident and crashes exactly on the border between the USA and Canada.
Half on the plane is in USA and half in Canada, the question is where are the survivors buried????
[/quote]

In Mexico? ::

Nah, it's, wait for it....
....in a graveyard!!!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahem..... ::

That is the oldest trick question I know. But in order not to spoil the fun that can be gotten out of it for others, I won't be giving the answer.

It reminds me of this old joke:

A little Cessna two-seater crashed in a cemetary near Dublin. The search recovered already 150 bodies, but the police fear they'll find more... ::

...and I actually got this one! Yoohoo! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134442:date=Apr 9 2006, 05:01 PM:name=Child of the Grave)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Child of the Grave @ Apr 9 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]134442[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
SURVIVORS AREN"T BURIED!!!

Sorry for spoiling it.
[/quote]

Whoops, walked into that one :: (ah well, I always seem to do that for thse kinds of riddles, especially that one, for some reason. You'd think I'd have got the answer right after the first 50 times... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] )

[!--quoteo(post=134441:date=Apr 9 2006, 04:59 PM:name=Maverick)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Apr 9 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]134441[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It reminds me of this old joke:

A little Cessna two-seater crashed in a cemetary near Dublin. The search recovered already 150 bodies, but the police fear they'll find more... ::
[/quote]
Such racism towards us Paddys [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /] [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Back