Would Maiden be better if they still had Dianno

[!--QuoteBegin-Biggles+Jan 26 2005, 05:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Biggles @ Jan 26 2005, 05:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]No, Maiden probably would have ended up like lots of other NWOBHM bands?.....Largely forgotten about.

The 81/82 lineup change (Though slightly risky at the time) proved worthwhile in the end, Dickinson gave the band the hightened popularity they needed.
[snapback]96840[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I wouldnt know if they would be largely forgotten. Maiden were already a very big band with Paul, much more popular than almost any other NWOBHM band. If they would have carried on with Paul, I could see them still making a nice niche for themselves and keeping a fairly high profile such as say Saxon or Motorhead.

This whole question poises that Paul would had been a different person and leading a very different lifestyle. Had he been on track, I could very well see Maiden continuing success throughout the 80´s on.

I dont want to diminsh Bruce, but its pretty arrogant that people are always assuming Maiden would be totally forgotten had they not found him. We will never know.

However, the question originally was would Maiden be better (not more popular) today with Paul still in the ranks? Yet again, noone knows. Had they pretty much maintained a certain quality, they would surely been good to my ears. Better? I dont have a clue. Many bands of the NWOBHM were unfairly left behind but continued making great music. For example, Blitzkrieg put out a great album a few years back "Absolute Power" and I gladly recommend it to any enthusiast of traditional kick ass metal.

It is a shame though, that Paul never got the distribution he needed with his solo works. Both Battlezone records of the 80´s (Fighting Back & Children of Madness) as well as the first Killers opus Murder One are great metal albums, displaying Paul in powerful mode. I guess Paul gave up because of lack of distribution and sales. As said, I do think it´s a shame, as Paul still had the talent.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jan 27 2005, 04:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jan 27 2005, 04:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Could you imagine Paul on Run to the Hills or Fear of the Dark?  I can't, and I want to keep it that way!
[snapback]96869[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I can and I think it would be great, but I'm glad we have Bruce.

Back