Worth Fighting For

A

Anonymous

Guest
I thought I might start a topic with a pretty open topic that might spawn some random discussion. So, I thought I put a question I've personally been thinking a lot about out there.

What I want to know from my fellow Maidenfans members is, do you think there is something worth fighting for? If so, what is it? If not, why not?
 

Raven

Ancient Mariner
Anything is worth fighting for, if you believe in it enough.  If you mean actually physically fighting to defend something, I would say love.  Love for your family, for your friends, if it is true and precious, is worth fighting for.  While I don't normally quote from the Bible for fear of being labelled a Bible basher, I believe whoever wrote this passage (I think it's in the epistles, so I assume it's Paul) got the right idea; 'For there is no greater love than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends'.  I paraphrased it a bit (can't remember the exact quotation), but I think that just sums up Christian ethics (and indeed, decent morals!) perfectly-the idea of living for, and if need be, dying for, your friends, is one of the most hopeful ideals in our world of hate.  I would go into more detail on this (since, as usual, I probably have not explained myself properly), but it's late, and I'm tired. :(
 

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
Worth fighting for?

I do have a bit of a soft spot for dogs (shocker) and I really can't abide mistreatment of them. A dog, overall, is not born aggressive and the crap some have to go through makes them aggressive. They are then either destroyed or chucked out on to the streets (not always the only reason for them to suffer either fate, I know). I do my bit; I have one rescue dog and one re-homed dog as I think the welfare of these animals is something to put up some sort of fight (albeit may be just the action of taken them in is the result of this fight for some of us). I also give a monthly contribution to a large dog charity in the UK. Anything to stop (or at least lessen) the needless destruction and ill-treatment of them.
 

Raven

Ancient Mariner
Albie said:
Worth fighting for?

I do have a bit of a soft spot for dogs (shocker) and I really can't abide mistreatment of them. A dog, overall, is not born aggressive and the crap some have to go through makes them aggressive. They are then either destroyed or chucked out on to the streets (not always the only reason for them to suffer either fate, I know). I do my bit; I have one rescue dog and one re-homed dog as I think the welfare of these animals is something to put up some sort of fight (albeit may be just the action of taken them in is the result of this fight for some of us). I also give a monthly contribution to a large dog charity in the UK. Anything to stop (or at least lessen) the needless destruction and ill-treatment of them.

It would be the dogs for you, wouldn't it, Albie? ;)
 

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
Silky said:
I would go into more detail on this (since, as usual, I probably have not explained myself properly), but it's late, and I'm tired. :(
You've explained yourself fully. And yes, it is worth a fight. It most certainly something some of us take for granted only to lose it.
Silky said:
It would be the dogs for you, wouldn't it, Albie? ;)
Yep. ;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought Judas Priest.

I don't think there is anything worth fighting for apart from your own life but then again I'm very cynical.
 

Yax

Ancient Mariner
Just out of curiosity, what race is the dog on your avatar Albie?

Now, back on topic.

I belive most of the things we take for granted are worth fighting for. I.e. freedom of speech, the right to have a decent home, to not have to eat food from the garbage, the education etc. And of course friends, which too many seem to take for granted and believe no matter what you do, how little you keep contact with them they will still always be there for you.

Now, if i ought to be more poetic, I'd certanly say love is worth fighting for. -_-
 

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
Yax said:
Just out of curiosity, what race is the dog on your avatar Albie?
He is a cross-breed, or mongrel as they are sometimes called. He has definitely got some sort of terrier in him as he has features of a Skye Terrier but a fair bit bigger.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Yax said:
Just out of curiosity, what race is the dog on your avatar Albie?

You meant to say breed :)

At any rate, I'm with Silky in saying Love. However that is very broad because it can be, like Albie, Love for dogs or Love for friends. I'll narrow it down, because I love dogs too, but I wouldn't fight/die for one. However I would die for, as American as it sounds, God, Family and/or Country.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Onhell said:
However I would die for, as American as it sounds, God, Family and/or Country.
Hmmmm... Really?

I can theoretically say that all generally accepted values are worth fighting for. Food, culture, nature, family, love and freedom. But I wouldn't be as blunt as Onhell. To fight for something, oh yes I'm good at that. But to die for something/someone? I think that man is a coward by nature - or is it self-preservation instinct?
 

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
I wouldn't say I'd lay my life on the line for a dog, but I would say that fighting for the well being of these animals is worth it - in a simple way. By this I mean re-homing, etc.

A good example is the dog in my avatar. He was found by the local council on the streets and was put in a kennel where dogs are destroyed if not re-homed. Luckily for him he was there for 3 months due to the kennel maids not having the heart to do it. I took him home and found him to extremely aggressive, but I persevered with him, took him training etc, and now (after many years) he is a more gentle dog (but he will still scare off the posties). I have given him an extra 5 and a half years of life (as he would have been eventually destroyed at the kennels if I had not taken him in) and, for him and for our home, it has been worth the fight to ease out his aggression.
 

Yax

Ancient Mariner
Albie said:
I wouldn't say I'd lay my life on the line for a dog, but I would say that fighting for the well being of these animals is worth it - in a simple way. By this I mean re-homing, etc.

A good example is the dog in my avatar. He was found by the local council on the streets and was put in a kennel where dogs are destroyed if not re-homed. Luckily for him he was there for 3 months due to the kennel maids not having the heart to do it. I took him home and found him to extremely aggressive, but I persevered with him, took him training etc, and now (after many years) he is a more gentle dog (but he will still scare off the posties). I have given him an extra 5 and a half years of life (as he would have been eventually destroyed at the kennels if I had not taken him in) and, for him and for our home, it has been worth the fight to ease out his aggression.

Why do you say "destroyed" like they are things? Shouldn't it be "killed"?
But English is not my natural language, so perhaps it is me who don't understand all the different expressions...


Anyway, fill me in about that subject please -_-.
 

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
Yax said:
Why do you say "destroyed" like they are things? Shouldn't it be "killed"?
But English is not my natural language, so perhaps it is me who don't understand all the different expressions...


Anyway, fill me in about that subject please -_-.
The terminology to put a dog to sleep is sometimes referred to as destroyed. Sounds harsh and lacking in feeling for them, but that is the way it is.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Doesn't it have to do with the fact that it's pronoun is "It" rather than "he/she"? Wouldn't explain why a child (it) is "killed" and a dog (it) is destroyed but in some weird way it makes sense to me...
 

MetalAngel

Invader
To give an answer to the question of the topic, IMHO, what is worth fighting for is fighting for my gf. I lover her so much, from the deepest of my heart and she will be the one I will really fight for, even if I have to give my life for.^^
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
MetalAngel said:
To give an answer to the question of the topic, IMHO, what is worth fighting for is fighting for my gf. I lover her so much, from the deepest of my heart and she will be the one I will really fight for, even if I have to give my life for.^^
That's sweet. -_-
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Whatever you believe is right is worth fighting for.


Voltaire summed it up nicely concerning freedom of speech when he said something like like: "I do not agree with what you're saying, but I'll fight alongside you so you can say it."
 

national acrobat

Ancient Mariner
I will see your quote and raise you one. :wacko:

"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
Martin Luther King.
 
Top