Wireless router encyption help needed

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
I have a Dlink 802.11g wireless router in my apartment. How do I set it up so only me and my 2 roomies can access the wireless network? The people downstairs have wireless cards in their computers too, and they're the kind of folk who'd have no quams about leeching.

Any help guys?

Well as a leecher myself (hehe, lasted a couple of months) I know it is possible to do it. I think you have to encript it on your pc. When you set up and name your network you should also be able to lock it, i.e put a password on it in the Network settings. That takes care of your average free-loader that considers hacking a WEP password to much of a hassle... again like myself [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]. It should be in your manuals if you still have them.

You could also go to your downstairs neighbors and offer wireless internet to them for a fee.... depending on how many they are you could split your bill, if they say ney then lock it.

I know you have to give the same encryption key to each machine connected to the router... but I don't know how to do it

You should check the instruction manual or the company website to learn how to do it.

It's simple.

Take your baseball bat and smash either the computers or the people below you.

Carry on.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+May 22 2005, 11:41 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ May 22 2005, 11:41 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's simple.

Take your baseball bat and smash either the computers or the people below you.

Carry on.
[snapback]105278[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Dude, you know me better than to sugest that. I much prefer the subtle touch one only gets with a hockey stick.

Speaking of Hockey I am sorry to hear Canada was shut down 3-0 by Jaromir Jagr and his gang at the world's.... When it comes to international play I am Canada's adoptive son and I feel both their joy and their pain... *sniff*

Back