Why the Canadian media rocks

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
Our largest national network, the CBC, has this investigative show called "The Fifth Estate". This week they did a documentary on how the American media has become dominated by right-wing pundits after 9/11.

Naturally, the Americans took offence to the "commie" Canadians thinking they were smarter than them and decided to try some of their famous rhetoric on the CBC guy.
The host took Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilley, and all of FoxNews to school.
Ann Coulter was actually speechless (a rare moment), and O'Reilly outright refused to continue the interview after he was proven wrong.

It was reminiscent of when that British MP testified before the US Senate committee on the Oil-For-Food scandal. The Brit basically called them on their bullshit and told them to stop making veiled accusations and present some real evidence. It was great!

I feel sorry for anyone who has half a mind and has to put up with this kind of baseless crap in their country's media. The American media is good at playing down to the lowest common denominator; they aren't used to having a complex, nuanced discussion on an issue. They play on the emotions of their viewers and try to sway them, whereas our media assumes we have a shred of intellect and can make up our mind for ourselves. (There is no such thing as a left or right wing network in Canada. We only have one national paper which could be considered partisan in any form)

(Disclaimer: I'm not trying to say the right/left is wrong or evil, I just think the tone of the American media on both sides is retarded; they need to assume their people have a bit more sense)

Until recently, the media in my small eastern European country were almost naively left-right polarized. And naturally critical, which looked like a great basis for a new school of free journalism.
All went well when a strange fashion started coming around. "Serious" papers started adopting tabloid criteria, topics and ways of covering them. All in the name of better sale numbers.
Even tough we have a tradition of critical thinking, however frail, I'm afraid the future will be sad. Retarded, you say? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back