Which song(s) contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s) on: 6. Somewhere In Time

Vote for the song(s) with your favourite guitar solo(s)!

• Wasted Years

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Reach Out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheriff Of Huddersfield

• Caught Somewhere In Time

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Sea Of Madness

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Heaven Can Wait

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

• Stranger In A Strange Land

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Deja-Vu

• Alexander The Great

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • That Girl

• Juanita

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Up next: Part 6!

Winner of the Powerslave-era: Powerslave. This song will go to the final.

Finalists:
1. Phantom of the Opera
2. Prodigal Son
3. The Number of the Beast
4. The Trooper
5. Powerslave

Next era: Somewhere In Time!

In case you guys want to know what's going on here, please check the opening post of this topic for more details.

First the no-brainer: Stranger In A Strange Land. Here, H delivers one of his finest solos in his career. Each of the two parts are great on their own, and put together they become even better - like the solos in Powerslave, which I also love.

Then there's a lot of good stuff in other songs. I think H has good solos in all the three first songs, whereas Davey's best work on this album is, in my opinion, found in the first and last songs. H also has some good stuff in AtG. However, the biggest "big grin and air guitar" moment here is H's solo in the opening song. Combined with the fact that Davey also has one of his best solos on the album in that song, my second vote goes to Caught Somewhere in Time.

Stranger in a Strange Land and Caught Somewhere in Time. I can't really explain it any better than Eddies Wingman above me so go for his answer.

Caught Somewhere In Time
Stranger In A Strange Land

I was just playing on my guitar CSIT solos, now in the afternoon, and it's simply the most brilliant set of solos back to back in any song. A spectacle of fluidity and melodies that stay within the mind forever. SIASL is work of genius. Simple as that.

Re-listened to CSIT, you've made such a big deal out of it I just had too.
Conclusions? You overrate it. The second solo is pretty awesome, but I think that half the solos is the rhythm behind it, and the ones in this song have pretty weak rhythm part to them.

Genghis Khan said:
A tie between Sea of Madness and CSIT.

You got it mate! I will 100% vote for Sea of Madness... The subtlety in that leadwork goes through the heart.

But there's so much out there for a second choice.
I need to play the whole album, and I'll take That Girl with me, to check her out, just in case.

That Girl solo is one of Dave's best. SOM has wonderful solos also, but it's limited to 2 votes only, so...

Re: Which song(s) contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s) on: 6. Somewhere In T

Alexander's solo is a bit too long for me...

But, the song is great in overall!

Re: Which song(s) contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s) on: 6. Somewhere In T

Black_Thunder94 said:
Alexander's solo is a bit too long for me...

But, the song is great in overall!

Solo? There are many solos. Enough variation if you ask me.

I could listen to a good blues sol for an hour, even if it's in one position, so the longer the better for me.
Still, the other songs have better solos.

Forostar said:
Solo? There are many solos. Enough variation if you ask me.

Well, The part I'm thinking of is between "became a god amongst mortal man" and "Phrygian king had bound a chariot yoke".

The reason I haven't replied in these threads: I'm not into solos very much. Riffs, sure. Interesting song structures, most definitely. Bass, of course. A day without killer basslines is like a day without sunshine. But solos don't excite me. Thus, on most Maiden albums, I can't immediately think of favorite solos.

The reason I reply now: SIASL. One of the few Maiden solos that really stands out to me. There's no other Maiden album where "favorite solo?" has an instant answer like that.

Winner is Stranger, due to lack of memory and time I didn't do the new one yet. Perhaps tonight, perhaps tomorrow.

Back