Which song(s) contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s) on: 14. AMOLAD

Vote for the song(s) with your favourite guitar solo(s)!

• These Colours Don't Run

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Different World

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • These Colours Don't Run

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • The Pilgrim

• The Longest Day

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Out Of The Shadows

• For The Greater Good Of God

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Lord Of Light

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • The Legacy

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Hocus Pocus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Winner of the Dance of Death-era: Paschendale.
This song will go to the final.

Finalists:
1. Phantom Of The Opera
2. Prodigal Son
3. The Number Of The Beast
4. The Trooper
5. Powerslave
6. Stranger In A Strange Land
7. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
8. Mother Russia
9. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
10. Sign Of The Cross
11. The Clansman
12. Blood Brothers
13. Paschendale

We'll continue with the last chapter: 14!
Next era: A Matter Of Life And Death!

I'll vote for The Pilgrim & The Legacy. I really like Dave's and H's work on the album but Jan's solos on these two tracks have something extra. The solo in The Pilgrim has some Arabian touch, really beautiful I think with those awesome notes at the end. His work in The Legacy is a good second one.

Please do read on, to see what's going on here:

-------

1. You may cast 1 or 2 votes on the song(s) which contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s). The winner* will come back in the final where all albums will be represented by the strongest songs (solo-wise that is)!

2. In this poll the word solo may be interpreted as broad as you like. E.g., the lead guitars / harmonies / licks (whatever you like to call them) in Iron Maiden & Running Free are imho not really solos since they are repetitive motives, but you can still vote for these tracks in case you like these moments better than others.

3. I will also do the B-sides, so when an album title is mentioned in the subject, this should be interpreted as the "era of that album", not only the album songs themselves.

4. Every poll will run for one week.

5. Only studio tracks.

Last but not least: Thanks a lot in advance for your contribution!  :ok:

*In case of a tie, a tiebreak will be done to select one song for the final.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg

Special mention to Different World and Out Of The Shadows - classy solos from H.

Yup, Jeffmetal got it right. I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I really like Dave's in Ben Breeg and despite me thinking that BTATS is over-rated the solo's certainly aren't. Top class.

There are some awesome solos on this one, I assume Adrian's been taking lessons!
Lord of light and BTATS.

Incarnation & Lord of Light, but Lord millions miles higher than Breeg.

Nice surprise the 4 Breeg votes, Davey rules here  :ok:
Regarding Lord, it's one of H's finest moments ever from 5:39 to 5:52 these three notes* he wonderfully plays, is the peak of the album

-->*By the way how's the name -in English- of this technique? (the guru of which has been Dave Gilmore)

5 votes for Suns within one hour? Guys, there's a second solo, one of the worst ones of the album, I think.

It's not bad, I feel like it kills the intensity the song had just built up by being there but it's not a bad solo. In fact it's just average really. And when you throw in the fact H made the albums best solo a couple of mins before makes it an easy pick ;)

It's a shame how Janick's good solos are often put right after Adrian's (or Dave's) godlike solos (see what I said about Paschendale in the DoD thread).  They're eclipsed, but they could be good solos on their own.  I happen to like the second solo in Suns too, though it's not as good as Adrians.  I also like The Longest Day, but Suns still beats it.  I voted for both though, since the latter isn't getting the respect it (IMHO) deserves.

The Longest Day would've been my third choice. I like Dave's solo in particular off of that one. I love the way it just bends off the riff at the point. Very melodic.

Jan's solo on BTATS is amazing and it ranks high up there with H's. There's some runs and bluesy bends there that are just spirit lifting - not counting the very welcomed nods to Blackmore's off the wall improvisations (I don't know why people bash so much for Janick almost never do the same solo live, but Blackmore is just like that live, too and I think it's one of the greatest traces of their carachters as live players. Both do some slopiness, but it seems that Janick always takes the bad word. That's unfair in my view. Maybe people are too neat about solos. I'm not. I like this unaesthetic aspect). Maybe the spots they're placed within the song makes them being overlooked, really, as Invader said.

I'm gonna blindly vote for Lord of Light and (a very distant second) The Longest Day. The reason I say blindly is because I'm simply voting for the most memorable solos (for me, of course. Obviously you guys seem to remember BTATS more). LoL's solos are amazing and really build the intensity, and TLD has some beautiful guitar work.

Damn. To make things more exciting, I should have voted for Lord of Light and probably Breeg as well, they were very close to my first choices.

I'm going to pick the two first that dropped into my head this time. No analyzing, no reasoning.

These Colours Don't Run (Adrian)
The Legacy (Janick).

Honorable mention to Breeg (Dave), Lord of Light (both, actually) and BTATS.

I think the second solo in BTATS is awesome.
The only thing that's not that good in it is the rhythm. For some reason they got into this mode which I don't think was appropriate for that section.

That's the case with a lot of solos in this album, besides LOL(lol) where it fits perfectly.

That's where I think my two choices are among the better on the album. They don't follow the most standard rhythm, but at the same time they flow very well with the rhythm.

Hiya guys,

Just wanted to say BTATS won this round. Later on, this week, I'll do the final.
A battle between 14 songs, one of each studio album.

Back