Which song(s) contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s) on: 13. Dance Of Death

Vote for the song(s) with your favourite guitar solo(s)!

• Wildest Dreams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pass The Jam

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Rainmaker

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No More Lies

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Montségur

• Dance Of Death

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Gates Of Tomorrow

• New Frontier

• Paschendale

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Face In The Sand

• Age Of Innocence

• Journeyman

• More Tea Vicar

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Winner of the Brave New World-era: Blood Brothers.
This song will go to the final.

Finalists:
1. Phantom Of The Opera
2. Prodigal Son
3. The Number Of The Beast
4. The Trooper
5. Powerslave
6. Stranger In A Strange Land
7. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
8. Mother Russia
9. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
10. Sign Of The Cross
11. The Clansman
12. Blood Brothers

We'll continue with chapter 13!
Next era: Dance Of Death!

Please do read on, to see what's going on here:

-------

1. You may cast 1 or 2 votes on the song(s) which contain(s) your favourite guitar solo(s). The winner* will come back in the final where all albums will be represented by the strongest songs (solo-wise that is)!

2. In this poll the word solo may be interpreted as broad as you like. E.g., the lead guitars / harmonies / licks (whatever you like to call them) in Iron Maiden & Running Free are imho not really solos since they are repetitive motives, but you can still vote for these tracks in case you like these moments better than others.

3. I will also do the B-sides, so when an album title is mentioned in the subject, this should be interpreted as the "era of that album", not only the album songs themselves.

4. Every poll will run for one week.

5. Only studio tracks.

Last but not least: Thanks a lot in advance for your contribution!  :ok:

*In case of a tie, a tiebreak will be done to select one song for the final.

As long as it's not just because it's the best song on the album (that's not what this game is about).

I for one will play the whole album, I haven't done that in years. I need to do this to refresh my memory on the solos.

Forostar said:
As long as it's not just because it's the best song on the album (that's not what this game is about).

No, it's the solos. :)  Dave's especially, and Adrian's, with no disrespect to Janick but his solo just isn't quite as good as the other two.  

Honorary mention: No More Lies, I like the "triple solo" with the amigoes all showing their own styles; in this song especially you can make out who is playing what.  But it just doesn't quite match the emotion of Paschendale's solos.

Adrian's solo in "Paschendale." O_O Best solo second only to "Flight of Icarus" and "Walking on Glass."

I selected "Rainmaker" as my other option.

Forostar said:
You were able to select two options. (just in case if you missed that  ;) )

I know, but it seemed you wanted me to justify my choice, so I ended up writing more.

Moonchild33 said:
Adrian's solo in "Paschendale." O_O Best solo second only to "Flight of Icarus" and "Walking on Glass."

I selected "Rainmaker" as my other option.

We're thinking quite equally on this. H has a brilliant solo in Paschendale - and the one in Rainmaker is vintage Dave. Still, I think I'll give my second vote (beside Paschendale) to the triple attack delivered in No More Lies.

Honorable mention to Dance of Death and Gates of Tomorrow.

I don't really care about the quantity of solos (as long it's not zero  :D ).

@Invader, since you were away from this forum so long I wanted to make sure if you understood the game (I thought some people tended to vote for their favourite songs all the time - see the TXF part of these games), that's all, no worries. I appreciate your participation and don't want you to justify your choice.  :ok:

I heard half of the material now and Dance of Death is the absolute number one. Much better solos than No More Lies in my humble opinion.

edit: I don't feel much for voting for Paschendale, this song will win anyway.
Besides, I really think that the solos in the title track are so great, that I'll follow Invader by selecting only one track.

I'm tied between Rainmaker, Dance of Death and Paschendale.

Overall the album is really up and down in terms of solos: Gates of Tomorrow, Montesgur and Wildest Dreams all have fairly boring/bad solos but the 3 I mentioned up top could beat out competition from most other albums.

I think the Paschendale solo's are not as good as the other 2 but they appear to be better because of the atmosphere and tension in the song around that point. Daveys and H's solo's come in just before the "Blood is falling like the rain" which I always thought was the highlight of the song so I associated the solo's as the beginning of that part. So I kind of judge them based off of the part after the solos, rather than the actual solos.

So I'll vote for Dance of Death and Rainmaker I think.

Jonszat said:
"Blood is falling like the rain" which I always thought was the highlight of the song

:)

My highlight of this song is not any of the solos, but these powerful lines:

Cruelty has a human heart
everyman does play his part
terror of the men we kill
the human heart is hungry still

I stand my ground for the very last time
gun is ready as I stand in line
nervous wait for the whistle to blow
rush of blood and over we go...

Love the interaction between the vocals and the music (or rather: the similarity timing-wise). Those backing vocals make the feast complete, especially live.

For me the highlight of the song begins already with the bridge before Dave's solo.  Lyrically, the bit after H's ("blood is falling...") is the highlight.  One of the best interactions between solo and lyrics in any Maiden song, if not the best.  It is followed by Janick's solo, which is also very good (and one of Janick's best IMO), but it is still outclassed by the brilliance of the first two.  Maybe if Janick had played one of the first two that would be my favourite. 

Paschendale
Pass the Jam -Yeah I know I'm the only only to like it here, I was astonished when it came out.
When Bruce sings '...to the land of nevermore...' next to Janick's (?) solo, this is my very best part!! And second best solo for 2003  :)

Back