When did The Trooper become Maiden's de facto big hit?

srfc

Ancient Mariner
The Trooper was always a top 10 Maiden song, but never the very top, just compare how many times it's been dropped to Hallowed, TNOTB or Fear of the Dark.

But it's now the "go to" Maiden song. When and why did this happen?

The Trooper was always a top 10 Maiden song, but never the very top, just compare how many times it's been dropped to Hallowed, TNOTB or Fear of the Dark.

But it's now the "go to" Maiden song. When and why did this happen?

When it became the soundtrack to their beer!

The time frame would be about right, but I'm not sure the beer did anything to push it to the forefront.

It's got the gallop and the harmonies, perhaps the most obvious Maiden trademarks, but Run to the Hills had the gallops first and was historically the bigger hit.

Wasn't it always? Or probably after the Reunion when Bruce started wearing the uniform live.

Run To The Hills has the same style and was more successful single, plus they didn't play Trooper in 1986, but by the 90's the song was also a live hit.

IIRC:

Trooper was not played on 3 tours (1986/1987, 2006, 2010)
Hallowed was not played on 3 tours (2012-2014, 2017, 2023/2024)
Number Of The Beast was not played on 2 tours (2006, 2023/2024)
Fear Of The Dark was not played on 1 tour (2005)

Wasn't it always? Or probably after the Reunion when Bruce started wearing the uniform live.

Run To The Hills has the same style and was more successful single, plus they didn't play Trooper in 1986, but by the 90's the song was also a live hit.

IIRC:

Trooper was not played on 3 tours (1986/1987, 2006, 2010)
Hallowed was not played on 3 tours (2012-2014, 2017, 2023/2024)
Number Of The Beast was not played on 2 tours (2006, 2023/2024)
Fear Of The Dark was not played on 1 tour (2005)

Re: Wasn't it always?

It was always up there, but it wasn't the absolute number 1 until recently, I'd argue Run to the Hills was for the 80's and then Fear of the Dark.

re: tours it was dropped, it was also dropped on the leg of the SSOASS tour that they recorded Maiden England.

Re: Wasn't it always?

It was always up there, but it wasn't the absolute number 1 until recently, I'd argue Run to the Hills was for the 80's and then Fear of the Dark.

re: tours it was dropped, it was also dropped on the leg of the SSOASS tour that they recorded Maiden England.
Oh yeah, the 1988 leg.

Idk, I guess there's a reason why Run To The Hills was always in the encores in the 80's (and after that).

Back