What would you want as Maiden's final encore at the last concert?

Jason2103

Invader
This question came up in a thread a few weeks back, I think it was one about proposed set-list's for the Final Frontier World Tour that'll be up and running in 2011. There were several songs that got brought up, but I figured it was interesting enough for its own thread rather than being buried in another where most people won't get to give their input.

So, let's say that sometime in the future (hopefully a long way away!), Iron Maiden was on their final concert tour, and it came the final song of the final show. What song would you think is suitable for Maiden to go out on?

Myself, I'm kind of torn between Prowler and Hallowed. Prowler would work so well, being the first track on their debut CD; not to mention it sounds like a killer live song from the recording's that I have heard. Hallowed is almost universally agreed upon as one of if not the best song they've ever done. It has everything we all love about Iron Maiden, and I'd imagine it's always a treat live no matter how many shows you've been to. You know that Bruce would take the final vocal line (Hallowed be thy naaaaaaaaaame) and hold the last word as long as he possibly could, and it'd just be a perfect moment.
So, any suggestions?

Habberdasher

Trooper
Whatever the encore is, it unlikely to be anything special, since we all know Maiden doesn't change setlists. So the last show is very likely to be the same as the 40 shows before it. Furthermore, if it's their last show I would be hugely shocked if it was anything other than NOTB, RTTH, HBTN.

In my fantasy world however, they would start with NOTB, RTTH and then when everyone was expecting HBTN they do 3 rarer songs (Prowler/Murders/Killers) before finally closing with HBTN.

I'd like the encore to open with Number of the Beast...but instead of the recorded spoken word intro the actual man who belongs to the voice on the album should read out the intro live while sitting on a stool centre stage...then disappear in a puff of smoke.

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
Hallowed is the obvious choice.
But I think it would have to be Iron Maiden — first time it would ever sound poignant.
I might even cry.

harrisdevot

Priest of the Holy Wristband
The Mid-Distance Runner said:
I'd like the encore to open with Number of the Beast...but instead of the recorded spoken word intro the actual man who belongs to the voice on the album should read out the intro live while sitting on a stool centre stage...then disappear in a puff of smoke.

Great idea. The only problem is, Gregory Peck has gone ages ago...
As for the final song, I'd like Iron Maiden. I think this is the only song they've played during all their shows (correct me if I'm wrong).

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
Zare said:
Only The Good Die Young

Amen. I'd like the following. One early classic (Phantom, for example), then Hallowed which is obvious, and then a real surprise (like OTGDY, or maybe Infinite Dreams). Of course a last show on a last tour could have one extra song on top of the regular set from that tour. That extra song should be a complete surprise.

Perun

Περούν Παντοκράτωρ
Staff member
harrisdevot said:
Great idea. The only problem is, Gregory Peck has gone ages ago...

That... wasn't Gregory Peck. And I'm not even sure what makes you think that. It was some random voice actor who did a Vincent Price imitation.

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Infinite Dreams

I'd like to think that when I die
I'd get a chance another time
And to return and live again
Reincarnate, play the game
Again and again and again

Perun said:
That... wasn't Gregory Peck. And I'm not even sure what makes you think that. It was some random voice actor who did a Vincent Price imitation.

Probably Peck's role in The Omen. But the voice is very different.

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
How about a 2 hour set, with all of the number of the beast "including total eclipse" as an encore.  Very unrealistic, but that's what wishes are for!

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
chaosapiant said:
How about a 2 hour set, with all of the number of the beast "including total eclipse" as an encore.  Very unrealistic, but that's what wishes are for!
I was thinking and realised TFF tour is supposed to end in 2012 on the 30th anniversary. Maybe they'll play the whole thing.

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Don Dokken said:
I was thinking and realised TFF tour is supposed to end in 2012 on the 30th anniversary. Maybe they'll play the whole thing.

If they didn't play it in 2007 for the 25th - when they actually made a big deal about it - they never will.

Maiden looks forward. Even with their nostalgia tours, I get the feeling: they know they're doing for the money. They do it to support new album tours.

Playing a full album from their past would run counter to their entire attitude, and I can't imagine it happening.

Tron

Trooper
hmmm...
id say HBTN or IM... both sort of good ways to sum up the whole feel of a night with maiden
but in light of TFF, i think a closing song for a final show IMO has gotta be COMING HOME, yes its a ballad and a bit of a bruce song but i would seriously break down in tears. its just one ofthose songs that hits yah right in that dangly thing in the back of the throat  :blush:

Perun

Περούν Παντοκράτωρ
Staff member
Forostar said:
Probably Peck's role in The Omen. But the voice is very different.

I don't recall him saying those words in the film. And even if he did, his voice is indeed very different.