Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SD93

Prowler
There is a poll on whether Fear of the dark is maiden's anthem
As people have said no what do you think Iron Maiden's anthem is

I think the following criteria are important here: The song should be played often in concerts, it should be one of the best songs and it has to be recognized outside the community of devoted Iron Maiden supporters. And it shouldn't be too fresh either, a song needs to deserve the status over a long period.

The only song they _always_ play is Iron Maiden. But i vote for Hallowed Be Thy Name, because of the following things:

- It has more "classic Maiden" in it in terms of composition and sound, while Iron Maiden is just another good song

- It is nearly as mandatory as Iron Maiden in the setlist, so I think it can compete in that matter.

- It is one of the songs that I would guess most non-fans have heard (together with Run to the hills, The Trooper, Fear of the Dark)

- Some of the songs in the list are great songs but are far too new. Fear of the Dark came 10 years after Hallowed ... entered the set lists. Fear ... has of course been a live favourite since then, maybe even more than Hallowed ..., but I think history should matter here.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is just played too rarely live for it to win this, although I personally rate it higher than Hallowed Be Thy Name (as one of few, Hallowed is high on my list).

So, if any song should be regarded as Maiden's anthem I would say Hallowed Be Thy Name is the choice.

Your explanation makes sense
But I think their anthem should be on their first album so the song Iron Maiden seems to fit perfect for me
Another one I would consider is Prowler as it is there first song but I don't like it as much

Whilst I actually really like the track Iron Maiden and as much as this is as anthemic as it comes, Fear of the Dark really does take some beating. This has become one of the best live tracks for audience participation, bar none.

I'd say Hallowed be Thy Name, it's probably the fans' favorite and has the most anthemic feel to it. Iron Maiden is their title track and is palyed at nearly every concert, but let's face it, it's not one of their better songs, a fun rocker, but not much more.

To the Maiden community: Hallowed be thy name (oh the bells, the bells..).  :smartarse:

To the "metal" community (including all the strange hair and nu "metal" scenes): Run to the hills (simple, fast, powerful, sing-along, great lyrics, superb studio version) = metal anthem (the Running Free update, as i like to call it).

To the music "listeners": Fear of the Dark (a pop girl singed FOTD refrain in front of me and a high school mate).  :blush:  :blink:  :uhm:  Don´t get me wrong, that live version of Real Live one...  :wub:  :wub:

Fear of the Dark is probably the only song on that list I can't get enough of, and I would feel kinda cheated if I went to a Maiden show and didn't get to hear it.  Quite frankly, I just want to bellow out "FEAR OF THE DARK!" with Bruce.

there are better songs on the list but i went for Iron Maiden as it is one of the first songs the band wrote and has been the show closer at every gig since the band started playing gigs.

I chose Iron Maiden as their anthem.  I can't get it out of my head.

I say Number of the Beast.  It is the song that: 1) gave them notoriety; 2) the one that often gets quoted in titles (e.g. Best of the Beast, Visions of the Beast); 3) one of the most known; 4) one of the most played; 5) kicks ass!

Helphyre said:
I'd say Hallowed be Thy Name, it's probably the fans' favorite and has the most anthemic feel to it. Iron Maiden is their title track and is played at nearly every concert

Iron Maiden was played at every concert, so that's more often than Hallowed.
Still I choose for Hallowed Be Thy Name since it's the combination of quality and quantity that does it.

The song everyone always thinks of when Iron Maiden is mentioned is always Run to the Hills, so thats their anthem.
Bring Your Daughter.. is another song people think of too, but I dont think it counts because they rarely play it and it was really a Bruce song. It was Christmas Number 1 though, lol.

It's a toss-up with the first 4. Iron Maiden, NOB, Run To the Hills, Hallowed.

But like Forostar said, IM has been played EVERY year since 1980. The others since 1982. IM wins for longevity.

Personally though, Hallowed is better than all 3 of them. Run To the Hills just doesn't sound that great when Bruce *tries* to belt it out at the end of the night. Maybe he should get it out of the way early and play it at the beginning of the setlist. Hallowed is a great closer though. My vote goes to it. NOB is a close 2nd.

Back